Receiver competition with two games left

Shaw66

26 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yeldon is toast.

I sure hope they keep Wade on the 53. I think there is a reasonably good chance (50/50) Gore is cut or McCoy is traded or possibly cut. 

Where exactly has John Brown been? I believe he has two targets and 1 catch in two pre-season games with a goose egg in the last game. I'm sure his spot is safe, but he has seen very little action. I didn't think it was possible at first but I just don't see the value in keeping Zay Jones. He's being consistently outplayed or at least matched by guys drafted much lower than him. If he were not a high draft pick it wouldn't even be a debate about whether he would be cut or not. Maybe they try work a trade for him as it is likely another team could see value in him still and think they can get more out of him. Maybe Washington or the New York Giants? Send Washington Zay and a 2nd rounder for Trent Williams?

Brown did not dress last game, hence the "goose egg".

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Am I crazy for wanting Duke on the team over Zay? Duke looks like he has way better hands for contested catches over the middle. 

Nope, I'm in the same boat as you. IMO right now I think Duke just brings more to the table. If he keeps playing like he has been it will bring some tough decisions for coach.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm completely over Zay at this point. Don't care who it is, but someone should be over him. I'm thinking Zay has to have trade value still though.

Jones is not a go to player. When Allen does go to him.He drops it.

Except late in garbage time against the pats***. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

i don’t see the bed to keep a FB. Use a TE in this role.

1 bext left

I disagree. I understand this is not a popular thought, but I believe DiMarco is in at fullback. Short yardage situations and getting seven in the red zone are critical. Shady's two yard TD run against Carolina was not an exciting highlight, because it looked so routine. Shady got to the end zone (I believe) untouched. If you look at when he crossed, you'll see DiMarco sealing the right side of the hole, taking out a linebacker. That's the difference between 7 and 3. Not sexy, just winning football.

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Does he have an injury or veteran rest day?

I'm just curious about Brown. Not having access to the practices, I haven't really seen him contribute and don't know what kind of connection him and Allen will have.

He had a vet day off. He’s been more than fine with Allen all summer. 

5 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I disagree. I understand this is not a popular thought, but I believe DiMarco is in at fullback. Short yardage situations and getting seven in the red zone are critical. Shady's two yard TD run against Carolina was not an exciting highlight, because it looked so routine. Shady got to the end zone (I believe) untouched. If you look at when he crossed, you'll see DiMarco sealing the right side of the hole, taking out a linebacker. That's the difference between 7 and 3. Not sexy, just winning football.

If we keep Dimarco over Wade, Gore, McClpud, McKenzie, Williams, Yarborough, and a half a dozen others... I will vomit 

Edited by mrags

43 minutes ago, DJB said:

Personally I have McKenzie ahead of both Duke and Ray Ray. Of the 3 Ray appears 3rd in line for me after Duke and McKenzie.  

My guess is we keep 6 WR

Brown 

Beasley

Zay

Foster

Roberts 

McKenzie 

I agree with this list and is how I see it.  McKenzie has a lot of flexibility.   He can back up Roberts in the return game.   He can run the jet sweep and makes plays in the passing game.  The only reason to not keep him is maybe if you question his durability.   Duke is buried on the depth chart which I think shows you what the staff thinks.  

Duke and and ray ray could be practice squad.  

I could see a trade trade of zay a possibility.   

Edited by mattynh
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Well then, eat lots of wings. Dry heaves are the worst.

Ok guy. I’ll come by your place to order them extra sauce later. Make sure you shake them enough for me. Last time they were barely covered in sauce. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brown is the only WR on the team with half an argument to be considered at "#1", but hes more of a Peerless Price type or maybe Lee Evans, good but not truly great, can be shut down.  He's obviously safe.

Beasley is going to have a field day working the soft middle of the field. 

Jones hasn't shown *****.  I was a huge fan of the pick, he's been a general bust in comparison to his draft position... might be time to consider moving on. 

Ray ray and Mckenzie are very similar, I see more production from McKenzie, I'd keep him.

Duke Williams offers crazy physical attributes and looks to have hands, I dont know why we haven't seen him against better competitors nor heard anything about him from camp.  I reserve judgement, but I'd like to see him get some starting reps.

Foster, where ya been?!  Has #1 measurables, put some numbers up late last year, but it could all be a fluke, watch for him to be traded if he's on the bubble, somebody will take a flyer on him.  I'd keep him over Zay just purely out of showing promise in real action last year.

Sills.. sorry, maybe PS

Roberts is in, return ability can't be ignored and he can do a little work at WR. 

As of today, if it were my call, you keep

Brown

Beasley

Roberts

Foster

After that, I'm evaluating Mckenzie (who is automatically in if Roberts weren't here) McCloud, Jones, Williams for 2 spots. 

Based on what I have seen, today thise spots would go to McKenzie and I'd take Williams, trade Zay. McCloud would be cut, he'll probably get a shot somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Duke was coveted by a lot of teams before he came here.  I doubt he makes the PS, given he was dunking on people in the Panthers game.  

I think we have to keep him.  Even if it’s just a fade guy in the end zone, he has attributes our other WRs don’t have.  

Foster id keep, A) for his potential and B) we need the deep threat to maximize Allen’s arm.  Depth behind Brown at the very least.  

I go with 7, or keep Duke over McKenzie... and I like McKenzie a lot.  

Brown/Foster

Beasley/Zay/Duke

Zay/Duke/Roberts

Edited by SCBills

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

With Tyree Jackson on the field it is impossible to judge any WR playing in the 2nd half,something needs to change here

Could you imagine being a 7-8 receiver with your hopes and dreams resting on performing with Tyree? Man, that's gotta be tough.

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

For all the haters on our leading WR the past two seasons, would't it be even more sensible to question Foster at this point?  What's he done this preseason/camp?

If you go back and watch Allen's highlights from 2018, you will see a string of great Zay Jones plays in there - they aren't giving up on him any time soon.

Hes pretty good vs Miami      Looks like trash vs everyone else.      

The level of hate that Zay Jones gets among Bills fans is UNREAL. It truly boggles the mind.

Anyway, that having been said....

I believe the six receiver spots are all but set:

Brown
Beasley
Jones
Foster
Roberts
McKenzie

This staff loves versatility. The fact that McKenzie can return punts and kicks in a pinch while also backing up Beasley in the slot and being a useful gadget player will get him a roster spot. Well, those things and the fact that he has balled out the past couple preseason games.

It's hard for me to imagine a Duke Williams or a Ray Ray McCloud making a big enough late-preseason roster push to kick McKenzie off the squad.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Taking 6. And after week two this is what I am thinking

Brown

Jones

Foster

Beasley

Roberts 

so comes down to size or shiftiness 

Williams - Size

McCloud - Shiftiness 

Also could very well keep and Extra WR to start season depending on Kroft

Kroft - PUP

Knox

Sweeney

so do you cut Lee Smith for an extra WR spot? 

Lee Smith has 4.5 mil guaranteed. So I hope not.

i think it’s simply the fight for 6 and those two have the best tracks. Then throw one on the practice squad. Though I’m not sure any are that helpful there or hard to replace.

i think my squad likely carries depth at safety, lb, corner, dL, TE, OL and rarely WR

24 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

With Tyree Jackson on the field it is impossible to judge any WR playing in the 2nd half,something needs to change here

I believe a change already occurred.  Barkley played quite a bit at QB in the Panthers game.  McKenzie and Williams played a fair amount with Barkley.  IIRC McCloud played some as well with Barkley.  I believe it's down to McKenzie and Williams for WR 6.  The top 5 are Brown, Beasley, Foster, Roberts, and Jones.

• Like (+1) 1