Receiver competition with two games left

Shaw66

I haven't seen the games, so I know less than most.  

Beasley, Brown and Roberts seem like the only locks.  We saw very little of Jones and Foster recently.  McKenzie, Ray Ray and Williams each has had some highlights.   Of those 5, some may useful special teamers.  Some may have modest trade value.  Jones and Foster have the best experience.

Is it a total muddle?  

And for that matter, the running back spots are confused, too, principally because Wade keeps making big plays.  Does he actually have a shot at the 53?  Will he take Yeldon's spot?  Does Yeldon actually HAVE a spot?

I look st it and say the team has 

2 qb

9 OL

13 WR/TE/RB

1 Returner 

on D

8 DL

6 LB

1 OLB/DE

10 DB

3 ST..k, p, ls

for recrivers

4 RB 

5 WR

3 TE

1 returner (WR)

1 best player left

i don’t see the bed to keep a FB. Use a TE in this role.

1 bext left

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I look st it and say the team has 

2 qb

9 OL

13 WR/TE/RB

1 Returner 

on D

8 DL

6 LB

1 OLB/DE

10 DB

3 ST..k, p, ls

for recrivers

4 RB 

5 WR

3 TE

1 returner (WR)

1 best player left

i don’t see the bed to keep a FB. Use a TE in this role.

1 bext left

Nice rundown. So on your numbers it's Roberts and five wide receivers.  That means Wade, if he is even a possibility, is fighting a receiver for a spot.  

Thanks. 

Taking 6. And after week two this is what I am thinking

Brown

Jones

Foster

Beasley

Roberts 

so comes down to size or shiftiness 

Williams - Size

McCloud - Shiftiness 

Also could very well keep and Extra WR to start season depending on Kroft

Kroft - PUP

Knox

Sweeney

so do you cut Lee Smith for an extra WR spot? 

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Taking 6. And after week two this is what I am thinking

Brown

Jones

Foster

Beasley

Roberts 

so comes down to size or shiftiness 

Williams - Size

McCloud - Shiftiness 

Also could very well keep and Extra WR to start season depending on Kroft

Kroft - PUP

Knox

Sweeney

so do you cut Lee Smith for an extra WR spot? 

Personally I have McKenzie ahead of both Duke and Ray Ray. Of the 3 Ray appears 3rd in line for me after Duke and McKenzie.  

My guess is we keep 6 WR

Brown 

Beasley

Zay

Foster

Roberts 

McKenzie 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeldon is toast.

I sure hope they keep Wade on the 53. I think there is a reasonably good chance (50/50) Gore is cut or McCoy is traded or possibly cut. 

Where exactly has John Brown been? I believe he has two targets and 1 catch in two pre-season games with a goose egg in the last game. I'm sure his spot is safe, but he has seen very little action. I didn't think it was possible at first but I just don't see the value in keeping Zay Jones. He's being consistently outplayed or at least matched by guys drafted much lower than him. If he were not a high draft pick it wouldn't even be a debate about whether he would be cut or not. Maybe they try work a trade for him as it is likely another team could see value in him still and think they can get more out of him. Maybe Washington or the New York Giants? Send Washington Zay and a 2nd rounder for Trent Williams?

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

Personally I have McKenzie ahead of both Duke and Ray Ray. Of the 3 Ray appears 3rd in line for me after Duke and McKenzie.  

My guess is we keep 6 WR

Brown 

Beasley

Zay

Foster

Roberts 

McKenzie 

I agree with everything here, but I think Duke is making a strong push for that final WR spot.  I think McCloud is 3rd for that final spot.  McKenzie can play special teams, so I think that ultimately gives him the edge over Duke.

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Am I crazy for wanting Duke on the team over Zay? Duke looks like he has way better hands for contested catches over the middle. 

Yes.  You are crazy.  Maybe if you said you wanted Duke over McKenzie you would be less crazy.

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Am I crazy for wanting Duke on the team over Zay? Duke looks like he has way better hands for contested catches over the middle. 

I'm completely over Zay at this point. Don't care who it is, but someone should be over him. I'm thinking Zay has to have trade value still though.

5 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I'd at least like to see him with the 1s to see if he can make those catches against legit competition. I'd like to see McKenzie get some starting time too. Allen and Zay don't have any kind of consistent rapport so there's no harm in trying other combinations.

• Like (+1) 1

For all the haters on our leading WR the past two seasons, would't it be even more sensible to question Foster at this point?  What's he done this preseason/camp?

If you go back and watch Allen's highlights from 2018, you will see a string of great Zay Jones plays in there - they aren't giving up on him any time soon.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'd at least like to see him with the 1s to see if he can make those catches against legit competition. I'd like to see McKenzie get some starting time too. Allen and Zay don't have any kind of consistent rapport so there's no harm in trying other combinations.

I agree I would like to see Duke get some time with the 1s this week. Now or never 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

we have not seen enough of that yet. if the team thinks Duke deserves a stronger look I expect to see him get some 1's time this Friday

They might keep duke over Foster who has not stepped up at all this preseason / camp.  I don't see them letting Zay go.

Edited by ddaryl

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

For all the haters on our leading WR the past two seasons, would't it be even more sensible to question Foster at this point?  What's he done this preseason/camp?

Fair point. But Foster has at least played at a high level in the league for a six or seven game stretch. I'm not sure Zay has even put together a solid 4 game stretch. And he has had two full years to try to put together a good stretch of games. Plus, Foster's seems to really only have one other player on the roster that does what he does, John Brown. Brown goes down with an injury then we have nobody. Zay does similar things as Beasley, McKenzie and McCloud. He has more competition.

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm completely over Zay at this point. Don't care who it is, but someone should be over him. I'm thinking Zay has to have trade value still though.

I'm not really sure why the Bills would want to trade away their leader in touchdown receptions from last year for a late round pick. Seems like bad business.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

I'm not really sure why the Bills would want to trade away their leader in touchdown receptions from last year for a late round pick. Seems like bad business.

But did he dominate in TD receptions? Who's to say Brown, Beasely,  any of the three young WR's we could keep or the new TE wouldn't put in 7 or 8 TD's if they were targeted as much as Zay? And Zay had a very low catch rate when thrown too. For whatever reason it just doesn't seem like things work out well when we target Zay a ton. I mean look at Beasely the other night. The guy hasn't even been here for one full camp and he catches everything Allen throws at him. 

It feels like both Zay and the Bills need a mutual divorce at this point.

• Like (+1) 3