D&C's Maiorana: Top 100 Players In Bills History

...no Frank Reich (unless I'm blind)?.......probably one of our best backup QB's.....Butch Byrd at 32 but not on the WOF?.....Stratton at 50 seems low....Fina at 62 and he hated the game...."where else can I make this kind of money" was his quote I believe......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

When comparing players in the rankings, especially ones playing the same position, I evaluated mostly by asking which player's Bills career would I rather have. With that in mind, here are some that I think are off:

Tony Greene @ #81. He's 2nd all time with 37 INTs, played 9 years, made a pro bowl,was a good kick return man. 

DBs ahead of him: 

79 Thomas Smith (6 career INTs)

74 Derrick Burroughs

Charlie Romes @ #69 DBs ahead of him:

68 Jarius Byrd (great seasons, Romes and Greene pretty close and longevity)

60 Leodis McKelvin

Jason Peters 1 behind Incognito 

I don't know what to make of these lists. Sometimes they are depressing seeing some of the names that are thought to be top 100 for our team.  But I guess when you break it down to a single team many other teams would have similar names where you are thinking "that bum made a top 100 list"? 

I think Flutie is getting shafted. Would switch Flutie with Fitzpratrick. And with both of them on the list we couldn't find a spot for Tyrod? Just remove Chris Kelsay...

Chris Kelsay, man forgot how terrible he was, 32.5 sacks in 10 years with us? A whopping 3.2 sacks a year.

Lee Evans ahead of Fred Jackson?! I know it only by a few spots but that looks like a glaring mistake to me. 

Gilmore (#28)  that much better than Nate Clements (#45)? Nate has the superior stats as a Bill across the board. Feel like they are letting recency bias and what Gilmore went on to do in New England compared to Nate not doing much at all in San Francisco weigh in on the ranking. Gilmore might be the better player overall when looking at their entire careers but this is supposed to be looking at just their careers as Bills. Otherwise T.O. and Jason Peters would obviously would both be top 10 on this list.

Glad to see Beast Mode absent from the list. Had a very good NFL career just didn't do much at all for us in his short time here.

I don't have much argument of the top 10.

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You don't get extra points for having a cereal. Flutie is lucky to have made the top 100... Just shows the lack of talent the Bills have had to fill out that 100 list.

Maybe so but we can also question Fitz being on the list too then. 

Personally I rank Flutie much higher than Fitz and Tyrod but even if we group them in the same group they are in that group between "Jim Kelly and Joe Ferguson" and "not your typical terrible Bills QB".

Then you have Drew Bledose who was basically "your typical terrible Bills QB" for all but one year. But that one year he just so happened to set all the team records. 

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

How do you do that list and leave off Willie Totten? Come on man!

I stopped after Charles Clay.

Yeah. That is probably the biggest head scratcher of all. 

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't know what to make of these lists. Sometimes they are depressing seeing some of the names that are thought to be top 100 for our team.  But I guess when you break it down to a single team many other teams would have similar names where you are thinking "that bum made a top 100 list"? 

I think Flutie is getting shafted. Would switch Flutie with Fitzpratrick. And with both of them on the list we couldn't find a spot for Tyrod? Just remove Chris Kelsay...

Chris Kelsay, man forgot how terrible he was, 32.5 sacks in 10 years with us? A whopping 3.2 sacks a year.

Lee Evans ahead of Fred Jackson?! I know it only by a few spots but that looks like a glaring mistake to me. 

Gilmore (#28)  that much better than Nate Clements (#45)? Nate has the superior stats as a Bill across the board. Feel like they are letting recency bias and what Gilmore went on to do in New England compared to Nate not doing much at all in San Francisco weigh in on the ranking. Gilmore might be the better player overall when looking at their entire careers but this is supposed to be looking at just their careers as Bills. Otherwise T.O. and Jason Peters would obviously would both be top 10 on this list.

Glad to see Beast Mode absent from the list. Had a very good NFL career just didn't do much at all for us in his short time here.

I don't have much argument of the top 10.

...I lay the blame about FredEx with Dopey Dickie Jauron's vet luvfest......we got to painfully watch Anthony "The A-Caboose" Johnson...STILL remember PAINFULLY the game where Dickie's "Mr. Ed" plow horse failed THREE times from the one while FredEx was picking pine splinters outta his azz with tweezers......

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I lay the blame about FredEx with Dopey Dickie Jauron's vet luvfest......we got to painfully watch Anthony "The A-Caboose" Johnson...STILL remember PAINFULLY the game where Dickie's "Mr. Ed" plow horse failed THREE times from the one while FredEx was picking pine splinters outta his azz with tweezers......

Not just A-train. Fred always got the short end of the stick. Often lower on the depth chart then Lynch and Spiller too. He easily could have been our main back ahead of both those guys.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not just A-train. Fred always got the short end of the stick. Often lower on the depth chart then Lynch and Spiller too. He easily could have been our main back ahead of both those guys.

...damn good call bud...thanks.....:thumbsup:

Charles Clay should be nowhere near any "Top 100 Players" list.  Sam Cowart's career was cut short by injury but was unbelievably good.  John Holecek was really good in his few years with the Bills. Either deserves to be on the list more than Clay.

So 41% of this list played at least one season during The Drought Era:

2 P - Mohr, Moorman

2 K - Christie, Lindell

3 QB - Flutie, Bledsoe, Fitzpatrick

3 RB - Henry, Jackson, McCoy

6 WR - Moulds, Price, Josh Reed, Evans, Parrish, Stevie Johnson

2 TE - Riemersma, Clay

6 OL - Fina, Ruben Brown, Teague, Peters, Wood, Incognito

9 DL - Hansen, Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Schobel, Kelsay, Kyle Williams, Dareus, Mario Williams, Hughes

1 LB - Fletcher

7 DB - Winfield, Clements, McGee, McKelvin, Jairus Byrd, Aaron Williams, Gilmore

With all of this talent, you'd think the Bills would have slipped into a wild-card playoff spot once or twice over a 17-year period...

More likely, this list is engaging in what I call "recency bias." Obvious examples: Josh Reed, Charles Clay, Trey Teague, and Chris Kelsay have no business on a top-100 all-time Bills list.

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Seems fairly reasonable.  I would have liked to see Bobby Chandler and Ahmad Rashad on there.  Frank Lewis and Don Beebe too.  But these lists are tough to do.

Frank Lewis was #49. Chandler was #58.

12 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Will grant please.

Will Grant was #97.

Edited by from_dunkirk