Is Tyree Jackson Practice Squad worthy?

Will Tyree Jackson make the Practice Squad?   

159 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tyree Jackson make the Practice Squad?

• No - He'll be cut completely
    • No - He'll be on the 53
    • Yes - He'll make the Practice Squad

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Develops possibly into a 3rd string QB? 

maybe

8 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

if he develops, you keep him. He won't

Why keep him, he would just sit on the bench.

Lots of teams traded their backups for big picks, we should too.

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If there was ever a football player that should have stayed for his senior year it was Tyree Jackson, he got some real real bad advice.

No doubt. But at the time he declared he was on a lot of draft boards anywhere from 3rd to 7th round.  His advisors probably told him go now, or you risk not being drafted next season when the QB pool is deeper and UB will have a worse WR crew to elevate him.  So he rolled the dice and lost.  Obviously, in hindsight he could have stayed and sharpened his skills and still been an UDFA in 2020.  Now he’s likely to be cut and have no football this season. Not good

• Like (+1) 1

I would say so. We got Barkley until 2021 and at that point, with the way he’s playing, some team is going to pick him up.

Love me some Barkley, but he’ll get a chance to compete somewhere and will move onto greener pastures. Our cup is overflowing at the QB position but it won’t last forever.

Edited by Sunshower

On 8/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, Bangarang said:

Why do we even need a QB on the PS squad? 

Normally, if you're keeping just 2 QBs on the active roster, you like to have a QB on your PS that knows your offensive system so that if your starter goes down for what could be an extended period, you can activate your PS QB to be a temporary backup, and bail the team out in case of injury to your backup.  Tyree is so raw that he really doesn't give you that security blanket.  Thus, keeping him on the PS is a luxury they would only do if they were convinced his awful preseason performances are meaningless and he really does have a very high ceiling if they can develop him properly.

Edited by TigerJ

5 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Is Tyree any better than a free agent? If it got really bad, wouldnt you be better off just picking up a Landry Jones or A.N.Other as a free agent? 

At this point I think he is better than any FA QB, but only because he knows the offense. I would expect the Bills to look for a QB they can put on the practice squad once teams start cutting players. In no way do I expect Jackson to make it to the PS unless he plays lights out these last two games. I hope that Mcb learned from last years fiasco and have a plan in place before they cut him. A 3rd string player is only 2 plays away from being expected to perform.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....who has the greater PS upside, Wade or Tyree?...............

I think both are huge long shots and there is probably room enough for both on the PS.  Especially as Wade gets an extra spot.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think both are huge long shots and there is probably room enough for both on the PS.  Especially as Wade gets an extra spot.

...doesn't Wade give us an 11th PS spot?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

No, he's not an NFL caliber QB on any level.

We picked up Barkley off the scrap heap and he's 10X the QB Jackson is. That alone should tell you something. If at any time we need our 3rd string QB to bail us out during the season then the season is in essence over. 

The difference is Barkley was talked about as a potential #1 overall pick prior to his final season. They were worlds apart in development and expectations coming out of college. Jackson was pretty heavily talked about as a day 2 pick. The fact that he went undrafted was kind of a shock, even  if it doesn't look like it now.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Why do we even need a QB on the PS squad? 

You don't but it would be nice having a quarterback who knew the playbook in case Allen goes down and Barkley needs a backup.  Last year we had to scramble for Anderson and Barkley.  Those type of QB's may not be available this year.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You don't but it would be nice having a quarterback who knew the playbook in case Allen goes down and Barkley needs a backup.  Last year we had to scramble for Anderson and Barkley.  Those type of QB's may not be available this year.

At this point, one of the wide receivers or running backs on the roster would probably be a better back-up than tyree.  Question, is it pronounced tie'-ree or tuh-ree'?

5 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

At this point, one of the wide receivers or running backs on the roster would probably be a better back-up than tyree.  Question, is it pronounced tie'-ree or tuh-ree'?

That's why you search for free agent cuts around the league who are eligible to be on a practice squad.

Maybe someone already mentioned this but a practice squad QB usually runs the scout team during game week practice.   I question whether he'd be any good at prepping our defense and giving them a decent look at what they will be facing.  You have to learn the base offense of the opponent and execute it with enough competence to test them all within a matter of hours.   If he can't do that then they probably should move on.  It was an effort worth making and maybe he can turn this around since he might still get the bulk of game 4.

Also, he should be playing well enough to give the WRs a chance to show what they can do.  That hasn't happened either.  I think Chris Brown said something to the effect that Duke Williams had been slow to learn the offense.  They probably want him to know more than 1 WR spot.  He should do everything they need of him to play with Barkley.