Edge Pressure

LSHMEAB

I don’t see pressure being a problem. Not sure we will have a top sack unit but I don’t see any reason they won’t be awfully close a lot of the time. Hughes gets so much love on here as a great rusher but I think a lot of people miss what happens when he runs so far past the pocket and tries to loop around. It really hurt the line in years past. Oliver hopefully fixes that issue this year. I’m definitely excited to get to week 1 and get the preseason doubts settled and over with. 

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’ll take the under on Murphy at 10 sacks

Betting wise, that's a great move on your part.

Truly, though: Between the reports from both McDermott and Frazier -- neither of whom is given to heaping praise on players unless they deserve it -- that Murphy looks like a different player, the fact that opposing offensive lines will be devoting more blockers/attention to Oliver and Hughes, and the play I have seen from Murphy with my own two eyes thus far, I'm sticking with my prediction. His career high for sacks in a season is 9, by the way, so the 10 prediction isn't as out there as some might think.

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I wonder when the Pat***** 1 year shot will end...

Point being: If you build a culture and a family, you can throw out the 4 year, wash-rinse-repeat cycle with the bathwater. 

Point is if you have that QB you take advantage of the 4 year window and then transition to a different team building model after. 

Nows the phase where where you get some extra vet talent on contracts that’ll be on there way out as you pay Allen/Edmonds, if they are the guy.

i don’t get why so many posters think that a team with a 40 year old HOF qb and a rookie contract qbs will model their finances of the other 52 positions the same way.

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Patriots are unique.

They have arguably the greatest QB and greatest HC of all time.... thats a nice "culture" to have. 

Nonetheless you didnt even really address his point. The idea is to take advantage of a QBs rookie contract as long as you can before you have to extend them at which point most of your resources will be allocated to them(assuming they deserve the contract). It would be wise for the Bills to capitalize on Allens rookie contract and PAY for as much talent as they can as soon as they can.

Bingo.

you see it with the eagles/chiefs/rams/bears now. And in our own qb class the browns and jets (mixed opinions on some of the players but loading up for a run and seeing the browns talked about as being in the window)

those teams will likely age into either the 9ers (missed at qb) or Seahawks (hit at qb) as examples of what the next era looks like.

regardless you load up now and make that run and then age into the next phase accordingly. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Patriots are unique.

They have arguably the greatest QB and greatest HC of all time.... thats a nice "culture" to have. 

Nonetheless you didnt even really address his point. The idea is to take advantage of a QBs rookie contract as long as you can before you have to extend them at which point most of your resources will be allocated to them(assuming they deserve the contract). It would be wise for the Bills to capitalize on Allens rookie contract and PAY for as much talent as they can as soon as they can.

...but as the market escalates BEYOND absurdity (Dak?...40 mil?....seriously?), why would he capitulate earlier than he has to?...then again, from what I've seen and feel about this kid (agree or disagree is fine, respected accordingly), he is not a "gimme gimme I need to be the highest paid type".....the WOEFUL Cousins got the extortion ball rolling....and we thought Fitz was extorting for 12 mil/yr awhile ago.......Pegula pays the Rockpile Beerman $10 mil....:thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

This board is hilarious with all the "he/they would never do that" statements.

"Beane wouldn't trade valuable draft capital for a player who he has to give a big contract......he says he builds thru the draft!"............and yet he had the best offer on the table for Antonio Brown.:doh:

"Josh Allen won't ask for market value at QB!   He's too nice of a kid"...............Brady is about the only QB to take notably less to keep a team together.........plenty of nice kid QB's eventually want to get paid what they are worth.:doh:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Two words - Darryl Johnson

Love what we've seen of this kid so far versus hamburger helpers. He's got the look of a legit outside speed rusher in process. I look forward to seeing him every Sunday in a couple of years after he's bulked up and developed an inside/counter move. Great late round pick and they will likely to be adding another in next year's draft. In the meantime I'm pretty confident that our ability to pressure QBs will be adequate/good enuf. Pass rush/pressures is not a weakness IMO, even if having a premier player with this skill set (think Frank Clark) would put an already very solid D right over the top to dominant status. The multiple questions/issues are on the other side of the ball. 

I know how much you guys love PFF but they had Hughes right there with Darnold and Fletcher Cox for highest percentage of snaps (~11%) generating pressure last year. Hughes is criminally underrated. If Murphy, Lawson, Love, and Oliver can give us anything we're going to have a decent pass rush. 

Also, I get that McD doesn't like to blitz but Zo and Edmunds are terrific pass rushers. I have to believe we're going to see plays that get them involved in the backfield. 

Edited by VW82

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This board is hilarious with all the "he/they would never do that" statements.

"Beane wouldn't trade valuable draft capital for a player who he has to give a big contract......he says he builds thru the draft!"............and yet he had the best offer on the table for Antonio Brown.:doh:

"Josh Allen won't ask for market value at QB!   He's too nice of a kid"...............Brady is about the only QB to take notably less to keep a team together.........plenty of nice kid QB's eventually want to get paid what they are worth.:doh:

Yeah. That's why I wouldn't mind giving up a FIRST for Clowney. You've got to pay a premium for young, elite talent. If we had Clowney, do you think we'd be expecting a 3rd round pick in return? No. We'd be expecting 3 firsts and a starting WR.

The deal for me is this. IF we have the right coach and IF we have the right QB, the time to win is now. If both of those statements are true, there's no reason to believe we're giving away a top 15 pick in this scenario. And if we ARE giving up a top 15 pick even after adding what could be the missing piece to an already "solid" defense, we've got bigger problems than no first round pick in 2020.

The only issue is that next year's WR class appears to be stacked. Again, if things go according to plan, we'd theoretically have missed out on the top guys regardless as the pick sacrificed should not be in the top half of the draft. PLENTY of talent is available at WR in the second and third round every year.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Two words - Darryl Johnson

Darry Johnson is shaping up as one of the best stories of this summer...........but edge rusher is second only to the passer in team value.

You don't pass on a stud QB because you have an obscure prospect put up a Peterman-esque preseason.  

Similar with edge rushers and you can actually play 4-5 of them in a game.

Nothing should preclude the Bills from getting a stud pass rusher to line up opposite Hughes(who is old enough that you can't even guarantee that he will be able to maintain status quo as a pressure guy). 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. That's why I wouldn't mind giving up a FIRST for Clowney. You've got to pay a premium for young, elite talent. If we had Clowney, do you think we'd be expecting a 3rd round pick in return? No. We'd be expecting 3 firsts and a starting WR.

The deal for me is this. IF we have the right coach and IF we have the right QB, the time to win is now. If both of those statements are true, there's no reason to believe we're giving away a top 15 pick in this scenario. And if we ARE giving up a top 15 pick even after adding what could be the missing piece to an already "solid" defense, we've got bigger problems than no first round pick in 2020.

The only issue is that next year's WR class appears to be stacked. Again, if things go according to plan, we'd theoretically have missed out on the top guys regardless as the pick sacrificed should not be in the top half of the draft. PLENTY of talent is available at WR in the second and third round every year.

The 2020 WR class makes a first rounder off-table for Clowney to me.

IMO WR is clearly the Bills most important need now and going forward..........job #1 of any organization is make the QB look good.

And while the Bills should be able to buy a stud pass rusher in FA..........stud FA WR's will shun Buffalo like the plague even with a good QB, IMO............going to have to draft and develop like they did with Watkins and Woods.

Orchard Park is just a place where you are likely to have multiple games every season where it's hard to put up numbers as a WR.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but as the market escalates BEYOND absurdity (Dak?...40 mil?....seriously?), why would he capitulate earlier than he has to?...then again, from what I've seen and feel about this kid (agree or disagree is fine, respected accordingly), he is not a "gimme gimme I need to be the highest paid type".....the WOEFUL Cousins got the extortion ball rolling....and we thought Fitz was extorting for 12 mil/yr awhile ago.......Pegula pays the Rockpile Beerman $10 mil....:thumbsup:

To be fair to fitz - he was like 19th highest paid and 18th in rating(?? Plus or minus a spot or two on each??)

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

As long as we’re able to get subs in, there’s no reason Star should be in over Jordan Phillips on pass situations.  

I think the goal for McD is situational football.

Rotation and versatility are the D lines strengths, Bills have a nice tool box to make use of. as long as the LBs are disciplined in gap assignment and passing lanes awareness Bills should be a fairly complete defense.

some of it's parts , if you will.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The 2020 WR class makes a first rounder off-table for Clowney to me.

IMO WR is clearly the Bills most important need now and going forward..........job #1 of any organization is make the QB look good.

And while the Bills should be able to buy a stud pass rusher in FA..........stud FA WR's will shun Buffalo like the plague even with a good QB, IMO............going to have to draft and develop like they did with Watkins and Woods.

Orchard Park is just a place where you are likely to have multiple games every season where it's hard to put up numbers as a WR.

After the AB fiasco, Beane still recognizes the need at WR and brings in Brown as an intermediate until the 2020 draft. I like your assessment that helping your QB is top priority. It appears that Clowney will miss the balance of the preseason, so the Bills still have time to assess this current group, and measure how to move forward.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The Patriots are unique.

I did address his point.?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

My underlying point was that McBean are building something unique, here in Buffalo, and they are trying to break the cycle where teams are bound by that rookie QB window.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:17 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’ll take the under on Murphy at 10 sacks

For perspective, only 22 players had double digit sacks last season.

Also, the top sacking defense had 52 last year. The Bills were near the bottom at 36 (1 less sack per game from being elite). Here's a sample template of how the Bills could get to 52:

Hughes - 10

Murphy - 8

Oliver - 8

Alexander - 6

Lawson - 6

rest of DL - 6

Milano - 2

Edmunds - 2

Poyer - 2

rest of DB's - 2