Edge Pressure

LSHMEAB

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Didn't see game. Is it true that Oliver's been near invisible or is this a reporter looking to create a narrative?

His writeups are mostly positive from the Panthers game.  I haven’t read anything that hasn’t been complimentary of him.  

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm getting the sense this team can compete. While I've known we weren't stacked at DE, the concern is more pronounced when you have a team on the precipise of actually doing something!

Murphy got a sack and generates some pressure. He's PROBABLY not gonna stay healthy. Shaq does VERY little in terms of getting after the QB. 

Hughes is a very, very good pass rusher, but he's not elite. I watched a particular play last night and it dawned on me that the reason for the disparity in sacks/pressures WRT Hughes is that the other side of the pocket is far too frequently clean. 

I can see this being a major issue defensively, especially if the offense clicks and we starting getting into games that actually resemble modern NFL football. What's the solution? Is Oliver gonna be good enough as a rookie to make THAT much of an impact on the left side of the line? Star is Star. Do you blitz more? Frazier is allergic to that concept. I tend to think the issue went unnoticed last season because we were awful offensively and didn't really FORCE the opposing QB's to go into down field mode. In these modern games, you've got to be able to make a big play or two defensively and that rarely occurs without pressure. We flirted with Clark and Clowney. That didn't come to fruition. I think the likely outcome is that McDermott has a little sitdown with Frazier to explain that you're allowed to send 5 or 6 guys after the QB. If that doesn't work, the HC may have to take over the reigns defensively once again. I could also see them getting into another 2017 "we're better than we thought" situation and trying to make a midseason acquisition. We shall see.

In the grand scheme of things, it's great that the Bills appear to be moving in the right direction. Still, this is a concern.

Two words - Darryl Johnson

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

While giving up more points than 17 other teams

What a team game. Let’s hope we can put the whole package together this year, so all parts help to make the whole better. 

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

What a team game. Let’s hope we can put the whole package together this year, so all parts help to make the whole better. 

For sure.  Allowing that many points was also a product of an having an abysmal OL and WR units while playing a rookie QB and the worst QB in world history 

I agree that another dominant pass rush will make this defense elite.  Jerry needs a running mate.  I believe Murphy is adequate and a difference maker D......when available.  Therein lies the problem.

I’m really excited about Darryl Johnson but feel expectations should be tempered, especially this season.

Mike Love is the guy that I’m the most excited about playing this year.  He looks like a player to me.  I think he and johnson make it and Yarbrough is cut. 

Edited by NewEra

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Managed to be the #2 defense last year with the same pash rush. 

To be fair, the 2018 Bills defense was the #2 ranked defense using the metric of yards allowed. While the NFL ranks defenses this way, it’s not the most useful statistic on which to base an overall ranking of defense. The Bills were not nearly as effective in points allowed ( probably the most important job of a defense ) or at sacking QBs. The pass rush is fair to average, and could certainly use a boost. It would likely improve their ability to keep opponents out of the end zone. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If you believe we have the coach and qb, I’m not sure even a 1 is off the table for most high end guys. 

Few points:

1) that pick is hopefully late in the round

2) the guy we get at, say, 20 is likely not an immediate game breaker at DE. If we wait til next year to get a guy ready the year after...

3) we have the cap space to buy immediate impact

4) it’s going to cost. Mack is a better player but look at that package. Or amari Cooper. A young impact player that’s proven nfl worthy can be a good deal even with a one 

If this is what they’re thinking, then time is of the essence. Vegas has us at 6.5 wins so prospective shoppers are certainly thinking top 10 pick from Buffalo. If the Bills make a serious jump up the rankings, beginning with a highly conceivable 3-0 start to the season, that 1st Rounder won’t be so appealing. It would also likely mean we’ve truly turned the corner many of us think we have and it could be years before we have another early pick. I’m not sure about all this, as this is rarified air we’re breathing here. But if it is real, grab yer purse and go shopping TODAY!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Itll be different when Oliver gets his feet under him. He's eating double teams and allowing guys like Murph and Hughes to beat their guys and collapse the pocket. Over some time he will get better and apply pressure himself. He can shed some blocks but he needs to work on more moves. Plus, when you have the defensive backfield and linebackers we have all you really need are 4 rushers who will get enough time. I'd like to see what we do with quick draw Brady tho

12 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's gonna be a bit different if the good teams we face aren't playing prevent offense by the second half.

yeah the whole #2 defense ranking is a garbage stat..   6-10 is the stat that matters

12 hours ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

I think that in today’s offense the ball comes out so quickly that the traditional edge rusher is becoming a relic much like the hike stuffing middle linebacker. By the time an edge pushes upfield and curls into the QB, the ball is gone. 

Instead, today’s game requires a strong push up the middle to collapse the picket, forcing the QB to essentially roll out of the pocket and into a sack. 

yep, clean pickets are no gude

Edited by ProcessTruster

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

If this is what they’re thinking, then time is of the essence. Vegas has us at 6.5 wins so prospective shoppers are certainly thinking top 10 pick from Buffalo. If the Bills make a serious jump up the rankings, beginning with a highly conceivable 3-0 start to the season, that 1st Rounder won’t be so appealing. It would also likely mean we’ve truly turned the corner many of us think we have and it could be years before we have another early pick. I’m not sure about all this, as this is rarified air we’re breathing here. But if it is real, grab yer purse and go shopping TODAY!

I’m not sure either but if we aren’t on the verge of this now, it makes me less confident that we have the right guys... if that makes sense. It shouldn’t be year 4 of the regime and 3 of the qb that playoff contender becomes a thing as then you only get a 1 year shot at the cheap qb super bowl run. 

• Like (+1) 1

Over-reactions abound.  Hughes and Murphy get pressures.  Thus Johnson kid has potential.  Oliver has potential from the inside.  And we know they’ve used Milano and Edmunds on the rush, both of whom should improve with experience.

As for making a big trade to get an edge guy, I think Beane has been clear he’ll use the draft as his primary way to build.  Morse was really the big exception there because he wanted a veteran in front of his young QB.

Edited by oldmanfan

11 hours ago, Logic said:

This year, Hughes and Murphy will bring an adequate amount of pressure and the Bills defense will be very good. Murphy will have at least 10 sacks this year, in my opinion.

The main emphasis of the next offseason, though, should be beefing up the pass rush, and I trust it will be. Luckily for us we can go into that refurbishing of the position with a still-producing and recently extended Jerry Hughes, at the very least. And a big bonus: Darryl Johnson seems like he can really play. He may be a true late round steal.

I expect 2-3 new edge players to be added using premium resources in the offseason.

I’ll take the under on Murphy at 10 sacks

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 947 said:

Hughes is a top-10 Edge Rusher in the NFL. Sure he's toward the bottom of that list, but led the league in % of snaps he pressured the QB. If we get even league average from the opposite DE spot & from Oliver, Hughes' sack #s will improve.

you have to assume Murphy will be healthy enough to give them 10-14 strong games this year.  Get 10+ healthy games out of him and we should be good.  when healthy, he is very good.. watched him with Redskins here in DC, he can be a force

At this point in the late pre-season, I think it’s more valuable to spend time figuring out how they can make pressure with what they have, rather than dealing in hypotheticals in the future. 

Firstly, I think they’ll be able to force 1v1 matchups on downs with long distances to go. You saw evidence of this so far in preseason with a shuffling of the DL. Murphy/Oliver/Star/Hughes flipped on a long 3rd down to Murphy/Star/Oliver/Hughes. This simple adjustment forces the offense to decide which player is getting doubled: Oliver or Hughes. It’s small adjustments like this that I think McD will likely tinker with to try and generate a 4-man pressure.

Another adjustment you’ve seen this preseason, and will likely continue to see all year, is 3 down lineman with LoRax in the dirt.  Against the panthers, you saw him at the 3T position on a passing down. 

Save the discussion on next season’s additions at EDGE for the long and uneventful offseason we will undoubtedly have to struggle through. The discussion now should revolve around what can be done with the players/scheme on hand to generate pressure with a 4 man rush 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I’m not sure either but if we aren’t on the verge of this now, it makes me less confident that we have the right guys... if that makes sense. It shouldn’t be year 4 of the regime and 3 of the qb that playoff contender becomes a thing as then you only get a 1 year shot at the cheap qb super bowl run. 

I wonder when the Pat***** 1 year shot will end...

Point being: If you build a culture and a family, you can throw out the 4 year, wash-rinse-repeat cycle with the bathwater.