Edge Pressure

LSHMEAB

I'm getting the sense this team can compete. While I've known we weren't stacked at DE, the concern is more pronounced when you have a team on the precipise of actually doing something!

Murphy got a sack and generates some pressure. He's PROBABLY not gonna stay healthy. Shaq does VERY little in terms of getting after the QB. 

Hughes is a very, very good pass rusher, but he's not elite. I watched a particular play last night and it dawned on me that the reason for the disparity in sacks/pressures WRT Hughes is that the other side of the pocket is far too frequently clean. 

I can see this being a major issue defensively, especially if the offense clicks and we starting getting into games that actually resemble modern NFL football. What's the solution? Is Oliver gonna be good enough as a rookie to make THAT much of an impact on the left side of the line? Star is Star. Do you blitz more? Frazier is allergic to that concept. I tend to think the issue went unnoticed last season because we were awful offensively and didn't really FORCE the opposing QB's to go into down field mode. In these modern games, you've got to be able to make a big play or two defensively and that rarely occurs without pressure. We flirted with Clark and Clowney. That didn't come to fruition. I think the likely outcome is that McDermott has a little sitdown with Frazier to explain that you're allowed to send 5 or 6 guys after the QB. If that doesn't work, the HC may have to take over the reigns defensively once again. I could also see them getting into another 2017 "we're better than we thought" situation and trying to make a midseason acquisition. We shall see.

In the grand scheme of things, it's great that the Bills appear to be moving in the right direction. Still, this is a concern.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I didn't see much from the Panthers DE's either. Keep in mind this game was played after practicing against the same players. In other words, the OL had been playing against these same guys and seeing their moves all week. In addition, pass rushing can be about setting up moves. That doesn't always happen in a quarter. Plus, there was no fatigue factor for the O-linemen. I'm not worried yet.

Need the DTs to get a good push up the middle.  This will help the DEs.  No pocket for QB to step up and force QB to sidestep.  Looking forward to seeing Oliver play a full game.  Does his quickness and strength wear opponents down as game progresses?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ocemur said:

I didn't see much from the Panthers DE's either. Keep in mind this game was played after practicing against the same players. In other words, the OL had been playing against these same guys and seeing their moves all week. In addition, pass rushing can be about setting up moves. That doesn't always happen in a quarter. Plus, there was no fatigue factor for the O-linemen. I'm not worried yet.

Not concerned about how the defense looked against Carolina in a preseason game. I'm looking at the complete construction of the team.

• Like (+1) 3

I think that in today’s offense the ball comes out so quickly that the traditional edge rusher is becoming a relic much like the hike stuffing middle linebacker. By the time an edge pushes upfield and curls into the QB, the ball is gone. 

Instead, today’s game requires a strong push up the middle to collapse the picket, forcing the QB to essentially roll out of the pocket and into a sack. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

I think that in today’s offense the ball comes out so quickly that the traditional edge rusher is becoming a relic much like the hike stuffing middle linebacker. By the time an edge pushes upfield and curls into the QB, the ball is gone. 

Instead, today’s game requires a strong push up the middle to collapse the picket, forcing the QB to essentially roll out of the pocket and into a sack. 

I was mildly surprised to see how often they sent Edmunds up the middle last year. Consider that they added Oliver, and that could get even more interesting this year. 

I do anticipate DE being one of the big(ger) needs going into next offseason, with Shaq walking and lots of us remaining skeptical of Trent's health/production. We're going to be great as a cohesive unit, but I do expect that consistent pass rush will be the weakest category among itself, run defense, the stellar secondary, and our young heat seeking LBs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Managed to be the #2 defense last year with the same pash rush. 

In yards allowed. Who cares.  Dumbest stat ever.  When the other team is winning in the 4th quarter they are running and running out the clock.  

Turnovers, sacks, 3rd down defense, red zone is what matters and they were middle of the road last year.  Edge pressure improves everything.  They have a secondary thart can compete with anyone.  If they can get some push up the middle and not let QB's step up, the edge guys are good enough to get there.  I'm most worried about a further decline in Lorax.  There is really no one on the team that can play SLB and Lorax wan't that good last year.  I agree Lawson is solid against the run but at this point I don't think he will ever be a pass rushing threat.  If Oliver gets 6 sacks and occupies multiple defenders the pass rush will be good enough.  To your point about being #2, the defense did have good games last year.  Then again, they got blown off the field in a few games too.  

21 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

I do anticipate DE being one of the big(ger) needs going into next offseason, with Shaq walking and lots of us remaining skeptical of Trent's health/production. We're going to be great as a cohesive unit, but I do expect that consistent pass rush will be the weakest category among itself, run defense, the stellar secondary, and our young heat seeking LBs.

Agree, I wanted Josh Allen in the first this year and I would have moved up to get him.  

Next year I want to see OLB and DE with two of the top three picks.  

Wouldn't it just be amazing if Darryl Johnson is a late round ProBowl player. The Bills could use a little draft day luck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Good news is the Bills will be in a good position to address DE early in the draft next year as well as WR.  

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They are eyeing Clowney for a reason.

EXACTLY. Beane is not an idiot nor is McDermott, especially defensively. They're fully aware that this is a potential problem. The price wasn't right for either Clark or Clowney, but there's a reason they were linked to both. Whether you believe the reporting to be true or not is your decision. I tend to think when there's smoke, there's fire.

There's been some solid responses as to how this can work without addition personnel. Again, we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Need the DTs to get a good push up the middle.  This will help the DEs.  No pocket for QB to step up and force QB to sidestep.  Looking forward to seeing Oliver play a full game.  Does his quickness and strength wear opponents down as game progresses?

He hasn't done much in the preseason so far. It's probably going to take him some time to develop.

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

In yards allowed. Who cares.  Dumbest stat ever.  When the other team is winning in the 4th quarter they are running and running out the clock.  

Turnovers, sacks, 3rd down defense, red zone is what matters and they were middle of the road last year.  Edge pressure improves everything.  They have a secondary thart can compete with anyone.  If they can get some push up the middle and not let QB's step up, the edge guys are good enough to get there.  I'm most worried about a further decline in Lorax.  There is really no one on the team that can play SLB and Lorax wan't that good last year.  I agree Lawson is solid against the run but at this point I don't think he will ever be a pass rushing threat.  If Oliver gets 6 sacks and occupies multiple defenders the pass rush will be good enough.  To your point about being #2, the defense did have good games last year.  Then again, they got blown off the field in a few games too.  

Agree, I wanted Josh Allen in the first this year and I would have moved up to get him.  

Next year I want to see OLB and DE with two of the top three picks.  

Wouldn't it just be amazing if Darryl Johnson is a late round ProBowl player. The Bills could use a little draft day luck.

Also, second in dvoa, which accounts for all of that. Edge rusher would be nice. More sacks would be nice. Isn’t nearly the game changer it is represented to be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1