Great Movie Soundtracks

Gugny

7 hours ago, DC Tom said:

No, Rami Malek's performance was the best part of the movie.

Acting-wise, absolutely.  The movie and storyline were junk, though.  It was fictitious, corny and rushed.

I'd much rather see Rami Malek star in a Netflix series about the life of Freddie Mercury.  This way, no one has to try to fit multiple years' worth of facts into a 2-hour movie.

• Like (+1) 1

The Brown Bunny the movie was best remembered for a certain scene at the end of it....

Regardless most would say it had a great soundtrack.  Come Wonder With Me was on it.  This song below as well.  It was the first I became familiar with Gordon Lightfoot

Soundtracks which are mere compilations of previously released good music should not be considered for this thread IMO!

A good soundtrack means entirely new music created for a single film and which fits into a certain theme.

Any discussion of this type has to include John Williams score from Star Wars, as well as Vangelis from many movies, but I'd go with Blade Runner above others.  It literally helped make the movie what it was.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Soundtracks which are mere compilations of previously released good music should not be considered for this thread IMO!

A good soundtrack means entirely new music created for a single film and which fits into a certain theme.

Any discussion of this type has to include John Williams score from Star Wars, as well as Vangelis from many movies, but I'd go with Blade Runner above others.  It literally helped make the movie what it was.

You, sir, are a fuddy duddy.

I will now submit ... Born on the 4th of July.  So there!

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

You, sir, are a fuddy duddy.

I will now submit ... Born on the 4th of July.  So there!

There certainly is a type of "soundtrack" which is just a compilation of previously released music not intended for use in film, but to me, that's not a soundtrack.  It's cheating.  

The people that I love include:

John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Alexandre Desplat, Vangelis, James Horner, and of course, Ennio Morricone.  Many others, too. 

Writing a proper soundtrack is an art form, and these guys are geniuses.

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

There certainly is a type of "soundtrack" which is just a compilation of previously released music not intended for use in film, but to me, that's not a soundtrack.  It's cheating.  

The people that I love include:

John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Alexandre Desplat, Vangelis, James Horner, and of course, Ennio Morricone.  Many others, too. 

Writing a proper soundtrack is an art form, and these guys are geniuses.

With all due respect, I think you're confusing soundtrack with score.  They both provide musical background to a movie; the score is written specifically FOR the movie, as I understand it.