Baldy's Breakdown of Allen vs Panthers

CNY315

3 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again. We just need our o-line to be average to good on any given day and we’ll have a chance to win. We don’t need an elite offensive line, just one that can get the job done.

True.  You don't have to have an elite offensive line to win a lot of games.  BUT I'll take one if we can get it.  Elite offensive lines are the reason the Buffalo Bills don't have a Super Bowl trophy at OBD.  You get an elite o-line, if a team doesn't turn the ball over, they win.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Building a team from the lines out

I'm encouraged by their preseason performance but that is the exact opposite of what McBeane did.

And that's probably a good thing.

Buddy tried to build from the lines out..........succeeded in doing that.........but failed to turn the team into a viable long term contender because building the lines at all cost ignores the fact that it's a matchup league and you need a QB and you need excellent players at the high $ positions to win in the modern NFL.

7 hours ago, MAGA-Man said:

That fumble would have been cause by the ground if the Panthers recovered.

If it had been ruled a fumble, Buffalo's spot on first and goal would have been two yards better.

3 hours ago, DRA3196 said:

I always appreciate Baldy's breakdowns because he is honest. good, bad or indifferent. great stuff. Thanks for sharing

You like Baldy whether he's honest, good, bad or indifferent?  You're easy to please, aren't you!

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm encouraged by their preseason performance but that is the exact opposite of what McBeane did.

And that's probably a good thing.

Buddy tried to build from the lines out..........succeeded in doing that.........but failed to turn the team into a viable long term contender because building the lines at all cost ignores the fact that it's a matchup league and you need a QB and you need excellent players at the high $ positions to win in the modern NFL.

Star, Phillips , Oliver, Ford, Morse, Nsekhe, Long, Feliciano etc

Yes you can make the argument that they have brought in A QB and LB with high draft picks but it’s the spirit of what they are doing that I’m referring to.

Beane watched Cam get beaten to heck behind crappy O Lines for years and he is not doing that to our Franchise QB

A lot of people on here moaned about Star not living up to his contract. With Oliver next to him and Edmunds behind them watch how our Run Defense rank moves up in one year.

There is only so much you can do each year but they filled the cupboard with good players all over the roster with the interior of both lines feeeling a good bit of that love.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This guy Baldy points his phone at his TV and then posts his observations?

His audio is so crappy i've busted on him a few times about it on twitter.  Like 'Baldy whaddya up in the space station with that audio transmission?"    

He doesnt think its funny, but it is.

He's got the same audio guy that manages all the sports press conferences where u can't hear the question because the idiots are too lazy and inept to properly mike up the people asking the questions.

They can do it fine at the white house, but god forbid the sports world gets with the program..

41 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

His audio is so crappy i've busted on him a few times about it on twitter.  Like 'Baldy whaddya up in the space station with that audio transmission?"    

He doesnt think its funny, but it is.

He's got the same audio guy that manages all the sports press conferences where u can't hear the question because the idiots are too lazy and inept to properly mike up the people asking the questions.

They can do it fine at the white house, but god forbid the sports world gets with the program..

Sound guy??

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

That was the best performance I've seen from Josh Allen since he was drafted. I've been one of his biggest critics, but he really impressed me in this game. He made accurate, well placed throws on a consistent basis.

While on one level I agree with you and the majority of posters on this thread...that Allen is looking more composed and decisive and accurate...we shouldn't completely lose sight of the context: neither Carolina nor Indy sent pressure packages or disguised their coverages much. A first-team offense/starting QB SHOULD enjoy success under those circumstances.

And again, don't misunderstand me: it's very encouraging to see the Bills finally execute a modern passing attack. It bodes well. Our own D is winning its battles using vanilla schemes. But defenses will play Allen much differently in the regular season. I'm curious how well Allen will diagnose and react to different pressures and coverages. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have not watched any pre-season so please excuse my ignorant question. 

- does Allen have Happy feet in the pocket. 

- does he step up in the pocket and go through his read progressions. 

- is he bailing early and running.

-is the term (McBean) on this board used in a derogatory way. If so, how many wins will it take for it to stop?

13 minutes ago, Hank II said:

I have not watched any pre-season so please excuse my ignorant question. 

- does Allen have Happy feet in the pocket. 

- does he step up in the pocket and go through his read progressions. 

- is he bailing early and running.

-is the term (McBean) on this board used in a derogatory way. If so, how many wins will it take for it to stop?

At around :50 the line really opens up the middle but instead of trying to just run up for the first Allen steps up and hits Sweeney for a big gain.

15 hours ago, purple haze said:

True.  You don't have to have an elite offensive line to win a lot of games.  BUT I'll take one if we can get it.  Elite offensive lines are the reason the Buffalo Bills don't have a Super Bowl trophy at OBD.  You get an elite o-line, if a team doesn't turn the ball over, they win.

Well yeah. That could be great but we don’t need to over spend or be mad when we don’t have one. We don’t need to overreact every time someone gets beat on the line. It’s going to happen.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Star, Phillips , Oliver, Ford, Morse, Nsekhe, Long, Feliciano etc

Yes you can make the argument that they have brought in A QB and LB with high draft picks but it’s the spirit of what they are doing that I’m referring to.

Beane watched Cam get beaten to heck behind crappy O Lines for years and he is not doing that to our Franchise QB

A lot of people on here moaned about Star not living up to his contract. With Oliver next to him and Edmunds behind them watch how our Run Defense rank moves up in one year.

There is only so much you can do each year but they filled the cupboard with good players all over the roster with the interior of both lines feeeling a good bit of that love.

So you do realize that 6 of those 8 players were acquired in year 3 of McDermott's regime.......no?

They drafted a CB and WR in rounds 1 and 2 in draft #1.

They drafted a QB and MLB in round 1 in draft #2.

That's not building "from the lines OUT".

I know you are caught up in pre-season giddiness but at least tell the story right.:lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you do realize that 6 of those 8 players were acquired in year 3 of McDermott's regime.......no?

They drafted a CB and WR in rounds 1 and 2 in draft #1.

They drafted a QB and MLB in round 1 in draft #2.

That's not building "from the lines OUT".

I know you are caught up in pre-season giddiness but at least tell the story right.:lol:

The first year they Lost/Traded Darby and Gilmore and Watkins.

They also spent the first two years fixing the cap and taking BPA. 

So, from my perspective, they were replacing needs. If you are breaking up a previous incarnation of your team are you really building.

Building started in year two with Star being a major addition. Couple Star with Edmunds and one could see that McBeane was building from the inside out.

Also, year three of the McDermott regime is year two for McBeane. This team is still not a finished product and we have a serious need at WR still. 

So, if you want to argue that Draft picks are the only measure of how a team is constructed, yes, you are right.

However, I Respectfully disagree with you. I saw guys being replaced with like guys in year one and an emphasis on the O-Line and interior Defense ( including MLB) since. 

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The first year they Lost/Traded Darby and Gilmore and Watkins.

They also spent the first two years fixing the cap and taking BPA. 

So, from my perspective, they were replacing needs. If you are breaking up a previous incarnation of your team are you really building.

Building started in year two with Star being a major addition. Couple Star with Edmunds and one could see that McBeane was building from the inside out.

Also, year three of the McDermott regime is year two for McBeane. This team is still not a finished product and we have a serious need at WR still. 

So, if you want to argue that Draft picks are the only measure of how a team is constructed, yes, you are right.

However, I Respectfully disagree with you. I saw guys being replaced with like guys in year one and an emphasis on the O-Line and interior Defense ( including MLB) since. 

By emphasis on O-line since do you mean losing Wood and Incognito and replacing them with below replacement level talent and trading away Cordy Glenn? Also MLB isn't interior defense, especially in todays NFL when north-south LBers are useless. While Beane wasn't the GM during the draft three seasons ago, he was there for the rest and made the Sammy/Darby trades. So those moves count for him. 

This year is the first year they've focused on O-line.  They have not built from the inside out. They focused on getting the cap in good shape and getting a QB and now are focusing on filling in around the QB with an O-line and weapons.

Edited by jletha

1 hour ago, jletha said:

By emphasis on O-line since do you mean losing Wood and Incognito and replacing them with below replacement level talent and trading away Cordy Glenn? Also MLB isn't interior defense, especially in todays NFL when north-south LBers are useless. While Beane wasn't the GM during the draft three seasons ago, he was there for the rest and made the Sammy/Darby trades. So those moves count for him. 

This year is the first year they've focused on O-line.  They have not built from the inside out. They focused on getting the cap in good shape and getting a QB and now are focusing on filling in around the QB with an O-line and weapons.

Losing Wood was a Wood choice.

Cordy Glenn was injury prone and went on IR

Incognito was ...... Incognito, it was time to let him go.

Again, if I spend a dollar and make a dollar am I really earning or just holding serve.

The point of having Star and Oliver is to chew up blockers and keep your MLB free to hit the correct gap without having to shed a blocker himself.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Bills Run D wasn’t very good last year, especially up the middle? 

Edited by Buffalo Boy