"What do you not see in him?" Great [paywall] article about Josh Allen from The Athletic

Logic

https://theathletic.com/1143752/2019/08/17/what-do-you-not-see-in-him-josh-allens-economical-week-in-carolina-has-bills-eager-for-regular-season/?redirected=1

Excerpts:

“It’s awesome to see him kind of transforming in front of all of our eyes into his second year,” tight end Lee Smith said. “I wasn’t here for his rookie year, but I was obviously told a lot about him. The word on the street was just the upside he had. But upside is just that. It’s upside, right? But to watch him kind of take control of this offense. Him and Dabes (offensive coordinator Brian Daboll) have such a great relationship, they’re on the same page. It’s really fun to watch. To see him kind of figure them out for two days which would be as if we were game-planning during the week. To come out here and take advantage of certain things and change a couple calls, and have control of the offense, it was fun to watch and it’s exciting.

“What do you not see in him?” Beasley said. “He has the arm. He can move, he can extend plays. He has everything you would want in your quarterback. There’s still room to grow, which is awesome. I’m just happy to have the opportunity to grow with him and be a part of that process. The dude is very, very talented and has all the tools.”

“He’s as good as anybody I’ve ever been around in the huddle,” said Smith, a nine-year NFL vet. “He’s a little bit like an 8-year-old off the field, but when we get on the ball, he’s a grown man and he does his business.”

“He’s a natural leader,” DiMarco said."

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

1 minute ago, MJS said:

8 year old off the field? I wonder what he means.

I’m guessing he means Allen is a fun loving kid at heart off the field and, based on the many videos, etc., of him enjoying various activities off the field, I’d say that’s true.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

The back and forth with Barkley when they were out at dinner over how to say "gif" on that episode of Embedded immediately comes to mind.  

Just seems like a guy players love being around but has all the tools to still balance that genuine "one of the fellas" with being a leader and face of the organization 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Probably thinking of Allen shanking golf balls at charity events and talking children out of their Dolphin jerseys.

Allen has a refreshing wide-eyed youthful and genuine approach to engagement with fans off the field. It will not last forever, professional sports is a business and like any other it can become a bit of a grind on players, but there is no reason not to enjoy it and share in his enthusiasm while it lasts.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

The positive vibes at TSW have been flowing all summer; today in particular.

This makes me nervous. It's before noon--too early for a beer to calm my nerves?

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think it was meant to be bad.

I think it's a nod to the fact that JA is kind of a big baby Hughey. He has an innocence and cheerfulness about him.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, boater said:

The positive vibes at TSW have been flowing all summer; today in particular.

This makes me nervous. It's before noon--too early for a beer to calm my nerves?

I don't think it was meant to be bad.

I think it's a nod to the fact that JA is kind of a big baby Hughey. He has an innocence and cheerfulness about him.

agree

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I think he may have some of that locker room, clown show sense of humor ala Fitz.  That is a complement.   Fitz, with the 49 Wonderlich and Harvard degree, won some credibility with his team by not acting like he was the smartest guy in the room.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The back and forth with Barkley when they were out at dinner over how to say "gif" on that episode of Embedded immediately comes to mind.  

Just seems like a guy players love being around but has all the tools to still balance that genuine "one of the fellas" with being a leader and face of the organization 

"Check the Madden ratings bro."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Could be growing up on a farm in Cal he's somewhat wide eyed and naive about certain things??  Now he's in the big huge city of Buffalo!!  But to him it may seem huge which is probably a good thing that it isn't really huge.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Obviously it means he's immature, he probably leaves his Legos all over the locker room floor, he'll only eat Mac & cheese and hot dogs during team dinners and he HATES that he has a limit on how much time he can play Fortnite.  I don't know if I like the sound of this guys...

? :beer:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Obviously it means he's immature, he probably leaves his Legos all over the locker room floor, he'll only eat Mac & cheese and hot dogs during team dinners and he HATES that he has a limit on how much time he can play Fortnite.  I don't know if I like the sound of this guys...

? :beer:

Well me still laughing at my own farts came to mind immediately. My wife claims this is childish. 

I would love to just sit around ripping a** with Allen after a long night of beers and laughing hysterically the next morning. 

• Haha (+1) 1