Watching Allen last night...

bills6969

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He was sharp.  His confidence is building.

This...this is so big.

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I could more see one of the receivers getting traded, possibly even could become Zay if they are looking for a larger return.  We have a glut of WR at the 5th thru about 8th spots.  The other one could also become trade bait is Foster.  Not sure how much of a step up it is from say McKenzie/Ray-Ray to Foster.  May be Foster just needs too much motivation all the time to become worth keeping.

@Alphadawg7

It has taken me months, but I actually can see Alpha’s point and...man, there is a chance he could be right.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The fact that the Bills didn't punt till the 3rd quarter really stood out to me, even though it's preseason, it was nice to see drives that weren't just a 3 and out. 

Josh throwing to Beasley impressed me as well, 5-for-5 and 44 yards. Beasley will definitely be a huge factor this season. 

6 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers in him.  Quick release,  huge arm and accurate.  Just need the Oline to step up and keep Allen on his feet and we may, just may, have something special.

i was thinking the same thing plus combined with Big Ben.

Thankfully he doesnt have the whiney b!tc# attitude of Rodgers.

5 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

^^^

This, completely. McDermott took on a team two years ago that was famous for 20 years of dysfunction. He, with Beane, has been building and shaping the entire organization into one of thoughtful, forward-looking and strategic precision. I am optimistic about this year and even more excited about our long-term prospects. They're doing this right.   

but Schopp said culture doesn't matter ... ;)

It was the best he's played in a Bills uniform, albeit in a preseason game. 

I did see some Rodgers in him with the quick delivery combined with arm strength that gets the ball there in a hurry. I'd take a few steps back before we start believing he'll ever be as good as Rodgers. That's PROBABLY not going to happen. You never know, but it's unlikely. At this point, I will say I'm more encouraged than I've ever been.

I STILL have no idea what that one guy was talking about in terms of his release. It's about as quick as I've seen from a guy his size. We all know what his issues are. Quick delivery is NOT one of them.

Edited by LSHMEAB

5 hours ago, VW82 said:

I know it's early but I think the Cole Beasley signing is going to wind up being an overwhelming success. Every QB needs someone they can trust. Allen wanted that guy to be Zay but he just isn't. Beasley gets open AND makes tough catches which Allen forces you to do sometimes. Watching Allen last night I saw chemistry developing with his new go-to guy. 

having Dabol is a huge plus as well . Bringing the NE offense and listening to the players is going make us dynamic.

I thought he played well but every year, we all get fooled by the preseason.  It sucks but it’s completely meaningless and just a completely different game.  I have too many times getting excited by Trent and EJ to put any real stock in the preseason.  But i do like he was taking the short stuff. 

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It was the best he's played in a Bills uniform, albeit in a preseason game. 

I did see some Rodgers in him with the quick delivery combined with arm strength that gets the ball there in a hurry. I'd take a few steps back before we start believing he'll EVER be as good as Rodgers. That's PROBABLY not going to happen. You never know, but it's unlikely. However, at this point, I'm as encouraged as I've ever been.

I STILL have no idea what that one guy was talking about in terms of his release. It's about as quick as I've seen from a guy his size. We all know what his issues are. Quick delivery is NOT one of them.

hes going to be way better than Rodgers; more talent and leadership. Rodgers comes off as a prima dona who doesn't get along with coaches and players.

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I have too many times getting excited by Trent and EJ to put any real stock in the preseason.

EJ never looked that good against 1st stringers in preseason. To my eyes he never once looked like a franchise QB. He had a couple nice throws here and there but he never found a rhythm.

Edwards had the same problem Peterman has. As soon as defenses were playing at full speed he wasn't athletic or confident enough to move the ball. No comparison to Allen there at all. Some weaknesses you can hide in preseason, but Allen's weaknesses have noticeably improved and you can see that even against a vanilla defense.

The only thing I am waiting to see is what Allen looks like when defenses are blitzing him. He has learned to stay in the pocket and take what the defense gives him, which is a huge improvement even on last year's preseason. If he can do the same thing on blitzes he will look much much better this year.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

EJ never looked that good against 1st stringers in preseason. To my eyes he never once looked like a franchise QB. He had a couple nice throws here and there but he never found a rhythm.

Edwards had the same problem Peterman has. As soon as defenses were playing at full speed he wasn't athletic or confident enough to move the ball. No comparison to Allen there at all. Some weaknesses you can hide in preseason, but Allen's weaknesses have noticeably improved and you can see that even against a vanilla defense.

The only thing I am waiting to see is what Allen looks like when defenses are blitzing him. He has learned to stay in the pocket and take what the defense gives him, which is a huge improvement even on last year's preseason. If he can do the same thing on blitzes he will look much much better this year.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/profile

sorry, I’m not trying to crush your optimism. I’m really not.  But we see this every year.  But I do hope this is finally the year where it translates to the regular season but I’ve been burned too many times. 

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/profile

sorry, I’m not trying to crush your optimism. I’m really not.  But we see this every year.  But I do hope this is finally the year where it translates to the regular season but I’ve been burned too many times. 

I have no clue what the NFL.com player profile on EJ Manuel is supposed to tell me. Are you trying to show me his stats or something? I don't care about his rookie stats at all. Allen made at least 10 different plays last year that would have individually been the best plays of Manuel's career. This throw from last night:

is better than any throw that Manuel ever made. It is a real NFL QB throw. I'm not sure if you actually watched Manuel's career here or if you just stared at the gamelog in real time but he never looked comfortable. I don't know what else to tell you.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I have no clue what the NFL.com player profile on EJ Manuel is supposed to tell me. Are you trying to show me his stats or something? I don't care about his rookie stats at all. Allen made at least 10 different plays last year that would have individually been the best plays of Manuel's career. This throw from last night:

is better than any throw that Manuel ever made. It is a real NFL QB throw. I'm not sure if you actually watched Manuel's career here or if you just stared at the gamelog in real time but he never looked comfortable. I don't know what else to tell you.

It was supposed to link to the 3rd preseason against the Steelers where Manuel was throwing dimes.  I could do this for a million average to below average qbs.  Then the season starts, and it’s completely different.  

7 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers in him.  Quick release,  huge arm and accurate.  Just need the Oline to step up and keep Allen on his feet and we may, just may, have something special.

Wow, not sure I'd be comparing Allen to Rodgers and Brady like some of you are just yet.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

He's very calm out there. I think as things keep slowing down for him he'll continue to make better and better decisions.

Teams are going to start taking away Cole Beasley, so I hope the other WR's can step up and get separation and make catches.

Team have had a horrible timing stopping this as the Patriots due it every year, love seeing the Bills have this option in their game

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was supposed to link to the 3rd preseason against the Steelers where Manuel was throwing dimes.  I could do this for a million average to below average qbs.  Then the season starts, and it’s completely different.  

The big thing is most of these guys can make the individual throws if they go early. EJ could certainly capable of winging a 20 yarder accurately at least on occasion 

the problem is can Allen make that throw 70-80% of the time throwing into a tighter window with more pressure or does he slide down to 50-60% because under pressure because his mechanics or decision making are effected. 

Tbd over the course of a season. But I like seeing them being worked on here with some success!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, VW82 said:

I know it's early but I think the Cole Beasley signing is going to wind up being an overwhelming success. Every QB needs someone they can trust. Allen wanted that guy to be Zay but he just isn't. Beasley gets open AND makes tough catches which Allen forces you to do sometimes. Watching Allen last night I saw chemistry developing with his new go-to guy. 

Beasley's the kind of role reciever every team should have. Don't even think it's too early to say it, he's proven what he can do in this league and we absolutely needed WRs.

Brown's a good signing too. Even if we just need more bodies at WR at least we finally went for veterans (instead of being sold on 2.5 years of Panther Kelvin Benjamin)

Anyways it's hard to put the Rodgers label on any quarterback. He had seasons of winning 10 games with any group around him.. pretty much a one man show.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the problem is can Allen make that throw 70-80% of the time throwing into a tighter window with more pressure or does he slide down to 50-60% because under pressure because his mechanics or decision making are effected. 

If Allen is accurate on 50% of his 20+ yard passes he'll be top 5 in the league at deep accuracy:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-most-accurate-nfl-quarterbacks-by-pass-depth-in-2018

So no, he will not make that throw 70-80% of the time once he is facing real defenses.

And it isn't just about accuracy. It's his ability to anticipate the window and take advantage of the defense biting on the short throw. You honestly think Manuel was ever capable of that?

Manuel occasionally looked like he could be decent. Allen occasionally looks like he could be a Hall of Famer. There is no comparison between the two.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3