Watching Allen last night...

bills6969

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers in him.  Quick release,  huge arm and accurate.  Just need the Oline to step up and keep Allen on his feet and we may, just may, have something special.

....I'm gonna pee-pee on the Wheaties of TBD experts who hate the phrase, but gladly will do so anyway(as if I care)....this kid is a "blue collar (they hate the phrase) worker bee" only striving to get better and prove himself as our long term franchise QB......continues to work his tail off with "Professor Palmer", a highly regarded teacher.....and now in the "Dorsey Fold".....humble, respectful, mindful of the game  and all about WE versus ME.....a litany of UNDESIRABLE traits for a leader (COUGH), right?....think his quote was, "this is OUR team and OUR family"....anything else that should be commanded about or beotched about?......open mic...speak up.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

I know it's early but I think the Cole Beasley signing is going to wind up being an overwhelming success. Every QB needs someone they can trust. Allen wanted that guy to be Zay but he just isn't. Beasley gets open AND makes tough catches which Allen forces you to do sometimes. Watching Allen last night I saw chemistry developing with his new go-to guy. 

Totally agree, Beasley really shot up my fantasy draft board last night. I'd been reading about the separation he's able to get but seeing it was awesome.

Tommy Sweeney was also impressive. The kid can play.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

I personally thought he was terrible last night-indecisive, slow release, weak arm, inaccurate. Clearly looked like a camp body to me. We are talking about the Panthers QB, right? ?

After the first Bills series last night was a bit confused listening to the Panthers announcers, was thinking why are they still talking so much about Allen, and not in the best of terms either.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

After the first Bills series last night was a bit confused listening to the Panthers announcers, was thinking why are they still talking so much about Allen, and not in the best of terms either.

Yea those announcers for the panthers were terrible. 

Definitely agree on the Beasley chats in this topic. He’s going to be a huge key to Allen not having to run and expose himself to injury. 

Loved the little side step and pump fake in the pocket to find Beasley open. Nobody in the league can cover him longer than 3-4 seconds he will always be open. And once defenses scheme to stop that all that time the playbook is going to fly wide open 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

with all the receivers, and Zay coming up on a contract year, I would not be surprised to see Zay get released.   Duke Williams starting to show his stuff, and would be a tough cut.  took him a while, but, he is the beast that Kelvin Benjiman should have been.  Lots of other talent as well.  The Bills will keep one or two wr's on the practice squad as well.  We will know in a couple of weeks.

I still can't believe how much the WR situation has changed from last year. Beane and McD really have done a remarkable job. It's crazy how tough the cuts to 53 will be this year. I really hope Duke Williams makes it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

with all the receivers, and Zay coming up on a contract year, I would not be surprised to see Zay get released.   Duke Williams starting to show his stuff, and would be a tough cut.  took him a while, but, he is the beast that Kelvin Benjiman should have been.  Lots of other talent as well.  The Bills will keep one or two wr's on the practice squad as well.  We will know in a couple of weeks.

I could more see one of the receivers getting traded, possibly even could become Zay if they are looking for a larger return.  We have a glut of WR at the 5th thru about 8th spots.  The other one could also become trade bait is Foster.  Not sure how much of a step up it is from say McKenzie/Ray-Ray to Foster.  May be Foster just needs too much motivation all the time to become worth keeping.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I also noticed that he was side-arming his screen throws.  Seemed to work.

Like a lot of things in life you have to practice something to get better at it. Pretty much has been bombs-away up to this point for Allen and now in his second year with Daboll he is taking the right steps.

I get the sense that Allen has taken the short-yardage move the sticks challenge seriously and is working on things like his drop, foot placement and how he opens his hips, and the throwing motion that works best for him to more consistently take the heat off of certain shorter throws and improve the timing and accuracy.

Not that Allen has been terrible on all throws beneath the sticks. I think his timing on short option routes that need to get to a certain spot in a hurry were not that shabby and are improving as he and Beasley are developing the right rapport. He certainly has had a few passes get away from him on screens, wheel routes, and such. 

Those routes work best if you lead the receiver so they do not have to adjust on the run - Allen is the competitive type and by all accounts "coachable". Coaches enjoy working with players that are driven to improve on weak areas of their game.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Totally agree, Beasley really shot up my fantasy draft board last night. I'd been reading about the separation he's able to get but seeing it was awesome.

Tommy Sweeney was also impressive. The kid can play.

...WHOA!!....BIG time out....some posting "TBD Experts" said Beasley is "only here for the money"...what should I believe to resolve my conundrum???.......

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Greggo is guna bring the heat Week 1.

When he does they will get to Allen a few times, but he is going to hit some home runs deep over the top on them if they go man on the outside.

Dabes will roll the tape on past Greggo defenses and Allen will be as ready as can be expected.

I get a bit nervous for the kid, but have to remember he is a big boy and that last year it was a jail break for over half the snaps he took.

I don't see Allen "pooping the bed" because Greggo schemes some guys free to try to take a shot at him. That and the fact that Allen really could take off on them if they go man and he gets past that initial wave of blitzers (and the guy Greggo thinks can spy Allen and bring him down) - we are talking a good 30-40 yard chunk for Allen if he sees daylight.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think Beasley is a suped up version of what McKenzie gave him last season as an intermediate option that could get open. Beasley is going to be his safety valve. When Knox gets healthy, him and Sweeney will also provide a bit of that. You could see they wanted to try working the short to intermediate game because everyone knows the deep ball is already there. 

He seems to be coming along long nicely and having Brown, Beasley, Knox, Sweeney and Singeltary as new options in the pass game will benefit him greatly. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He's very calm out there. I think as things keep slowing down for him he'll continue to make better and better decisions.

Teams are going to start taking away Cole Beasley, so I hope the other WR's can step up and get separation and make catches.

Yup, teams will definitely try and figure a way to slow Beasley down, but they will also have to stop J. Brown. Beasley is going to be harder for teams to defend because he is such a mismatch. They start focusing on him too much and Brown will hopefully be able to pick up the slack.

Allen and Brown have been having a pretty darn good connection thus far also. I absolutely loved the Beasley signing from day one when they managed to snag him up. Knew he would be a great pick up.

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Greggo is guna bring the heat Week 1.

Yup you can believe that for sure. Will be very interesting. I expect it to be a good defensive game probably for the most part of it.

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

Allen looked very good last night. However, saying he looked like Rodgers, because of a pre season perfomance.

What does Peterman look like to you? Montana?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I was really liking the Allen/Sweeney connection, every good QB it seems utilizes the TE position since it's their usual security blanket. If we found our top flight TE in round 7 to go along with Cole Beasley then I think we will be very well off. Sweeney reminds me of Jason Witten (I'm not saying he's anything near Witten yet) in the fact that Witten was never the fastest guy ever on the field but he had a knack for getting open all the time, I see that in Sweeney.

I'm very interested in what Knox can do. Sweeney has some nice hands and adequate mobility after the catch. No one knows anything about Knox so I am ready to explore that. Could Sweeney lead to a Smith cut? I hope so 

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I expect Allen and Daboll to be ready for it.

Id be disappointed if they weren't. It's Greggos m.o. 

I never said he wouldn't be

Sorry, it was reflexive on my part to take that as the inference given your stated expectation that the Jets would be better than Buffalo this year. I’ll stand corrected for now, but let’s revisit after Week 1;)

With his big arm, the long distance kill shots will be open as he continues developing short range accuracy and release points. To me he looked very much like Tom Brady in the early part of his career. His distribution and willingness to take what the defense is giving him is awesome to see. 

4 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Allen looked very good last night. However, saying he looked like Rodgers, because of a pre season perfomance.

What does Peterman look like to you? Montana?

Allen looked improved at the end of the season last year, this year the questions we had for Allen are being answered quite nicely. Short passes touch passes pocket awareness reads and accuracy are all showing consistent improvement.  

I think Allen has earned some comparisons where Peterman is an already failed experiment here. Would I chose Rogers.. Who knows but if Allen masters the dink and dunk game while blowing the lid off the top when its there... then it will only be a matter of time before new QB's entering the league will be compared to Allen.

I have seen plenty from Allen from the beginning of last year to this point to allow myself to get a little excited

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1