Watching Allen last night...

bills6969

1 minute ago, KGun12TD said:

McD is doing a great job with this team.

^^^

This, completely. McDermott took on a team two years ago that was famous for 20 years of dysfunction. He, with Beane, has been building and shaping the entire organization into one of thoughtful, forward-looking and strategic precision. I am optimistic about this year and even more excited about our long-term prospects. They're doing this right.   

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I know it's early but I think the Cole Beasley signing is going to wind up being an overwhelming success. Every QB needs someone they can trust. Allen wanted that guy to be Zay but he just isn't. Beasley gets open AND makes tough catches which Allen forces you to do sometimes. Watching Allen last night I saw chemistry developing with his new go-to guy. 

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I know it's early but I think the Cole Beasley signing is going to wind up being an overwhelming success. Every QB needs someone they can trust. Allen wanted that guy to be Zay but he just isn't. Beasley gets open AND makes tough catches which Allen forces you to do sometimes. Watching Allen last night I saw chemistry developing with his new go-to guy. 

with all the receivers, and Zay coming up on a contract year, I would not be surprised to see Zay get released.   Duke Williams starting to show his stuff, and would be a tough cut.  took him a while, but, he is the beast that Kelvin Benjiman should have been.  Lots of other talent as well.  The Bills will keep one or two wr's on the practice squad as well.  We will know in a couple of weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

with all the receivers, and Zay coming up on a contract year, I would not be surprised to see Zay get released.   Duke Williams starting to show his stuff, and would be a tough cut.  took him a while, but, he is the beast that Kelvin Benjiman should have been.  Lots of other talent as well.  The Bills will keep one or two wr's on the practice squad as well.  We will know in a couple of weeks.

Others have said this too. It would surprise me. Zay was McD's second pick ever as a head coach. He's also arguably the most talented receiver on the team so you know they'll give him every chance. If he doesn't improve this season he won't be on the team next year.

Edited by VW82

My favorite J.A. stat from last night was 1 yard rushing. It looks to me like the coaching staff has told him in no uncertain terms to NOT run the ball, but to take the "safety valve" pass.

The reason it's my favorite stat is that Josh didn't get frazzled that a big part of his game has been taken away, he's taking those short throws and moving the chains. I do believe that once the season starts, Josh will start to occasionally take off and run when the situation dictates, but it won't be the major part of his game. IMHO last season Josh tried to play too much "hero ball" either trying to throw the bomb, or run the ball. It looks to me that THIS season he will concentrate on moving the chains and sprinkling a run or long pass here and there.

IMHO the coaching staff is FORCING Josh to become comfortable throwing the short stuff to the slot receiver and running backs, and last night seemed to show Josh is starting to take to the philosophy. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, VW82 said:

The only thing about that is i was a little worried that we are showing too much between the two of them right now. Other teams are going to know cole is the guy hes looking for, but at the same time its then going to open things up for everybody else

He's very calm out there. I think as things keep slowing down for him he'll continue to make better and better decisions.

Teams are going to start taking away Cole Beasley, so I hope the other WR's can step up and get separation and make catches.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, macaroni said:

My favorite J.A. stat from last night was 1 yard rushing. It looks to me like the coaching staff has told him in no uncertain terms to NOT run the ball, but to take the "safety valve" pass.

The reason it's my favorite stat is that Josh didn't get frazzled that a big part of his game has been taken away, he's taking those short throws and moving the chains. I do believe that once the season starts, Josh will start to occasionally take off and run when the situation dictates, but it won't be the major part of his game. IMHO last season Josh tried to play too much "hero ball" either trying to throw the bomb, or run the ball. It looks to me that THIS season he will concentrate on moving the chains and sprinkling a run or long pass here and there.

IMHO the coaching staff is FORCING Josh to become comfortable throwing the short stuff to the slot receiver and running backs, and last night seemed to show Josh is starting to take to the philosophy. 

Agree.  And I think the hero ball was just carryover from college, where he had no talent around him.  He didn't have much talent around him last year, either.  More talent this year; more options.  I loved his decisiveness and also loved that he only ran when the pocket crumbled.  He showed much better touch on the shorter passes and did not force the ball down the field.  It's clear that he's spent a lot of time correcting the mistakes (rookie mistakes) that he made last year.

Looks like we finally have a QB with a solid work ethic AND solid talent.  Should be exciting to watch for many years to come.

• Like (+1) 4

I was really liking the Allen/Sweeney connection, every good QB it seems utilizes the TE position since it's their usual security blanket. If we found our top flight TE in round 7 to go along with Cole Beasley then I think we will be very well off. Sweeney reminds me of Jason Witten (I'm not saying he's anything near Witten yet) in the fact that Witten was never the fastest guy ever on the field but he had a knack for getting open all the time, I see that in Sweeney.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He reminds me more like Favre than Rodgers. I know there is a clip out there where Holmgren says something like "no more rocket balls please". I could see Mcd saying it to Allen as they try to reign him in.

He looked fantastic last night.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's very calm out there. I think as things keep slowing down for him he'll continue to make better and better decisions.

Teams are going to start taking away Cole Beasley, so I hope the other WR's can step up and get separation and make catches.

Daboll can scheme to get Beasley open. Opposing defenses can't put enough manpower on Beasley to take him out of the game. Think what Welker, Amendola & Edelman always did to us.

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

Seems Daboll would counter that by flooding routes with a RB.  I really liked what I’ve seen with Shady and Singletary out in routes.  

At least in terms to getting Josh some short, rhythm throws. 

Edited by SCBills