"Slow down, it's only preseason"

Logic

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You realize that new england is routinely one of the most penalized teams.

But you can probably go join the OP in making points that contradict facts.

You are not just a troll, you are a professional troll.  I like it. Def covered all your bases with the above. 

22 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Don’t you think the Bills themselves realize what they have been up against these two games?

....audition is more important than competition during pre-season....90 to 53 is pretty drastic cut and not much time to evaluate...........

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I have this recurring feeling that people didn't read the original post.

My basic point was that while schemes and scores don't matter, execution does, and the Bills have been executing well.

Our players have been lining up and beating the players lined up across from them. I don't care who those players lined up across from them are. Your job in football is to out-execute the player you're going against in individual matchups ("do your one eleventh"), and the Bills have been. Personnel and scheme don't matter to me. Execution does.

You are correct. The defense has gotten noticeably better, yes. But the discipline and lack of penalties has been my biggest takeaway on that side of the ball. On the offense, Allen has markedly improved on the short and intermediate passes  (thank you Cole Beasley ) and we need Mitch Morse.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....audition is more important than competition during pre-season....90 to 53 is pretty drastic cut and not much time to evaluate...........

yes but they've had all but a few spots locked down before camp started.....barring injuries of course...you can easily cut 25-30 guys right now.

we look like a normal team. Play calls getting in on time...more organized...they look like they know what they're doing

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Jacoby brissett and Kyle Allen are not much to get confident about. And I’m pretty concerned about Swain on the offensive line. I have zero doubts they’re building a good team, problem I see is I don’t think it’s as far along as some fans think, which is going to cause a lot of anger and drama later on this season if we’re not in the playoff hunt the whole season 

Spain seems to be the weak link of the starting 5 OL combos.  He holds a lot.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

yes but they've had all but a few spots locked down before camp started.....barring injuries of course...you can easily cut 25-30 guys right now.

we look like a normal team. Play calls getting in on time...more organized...they look like they know what they're doing

....WHICH......has been a long time coming...........

• Haha (+1) 1

I still don't think everyone should get too excited just yet. Dont forget how much Peterman tore up the panthers last pre season. 

I definitely think the bills are a much improved team no doubt, but let's see how things go next week. Beasley is gonna be invaluable for Allen this season 

• Like (+1) 2

We played and looked much better than the Luckless colts, and the Newton, Kuechley, Olsen, McCaffertyless Panthers.  

We would beat both of those teams configured that way quite easily in the regular season too. 

It is less clear that that translates to beating the Patriots and Jets.   I am a huge Josh Allen fan.  The passing game will be much better this year.  There are some concerns.  O-line is not looking to be anything above average.  Running game seems a bit weak against starters.  Defense seems about the same level as last year, which is ok, but not enough to get the team as a whole past 6-10.   

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I still don't think everyone should get too excited just yet. Dont forget how much Peterman tore up the panthers last pre season. 

I definitely think the bills are a much improved team no doubt, but let's see how things go next week. Beasley is gonna be invaluable for Allen this season 

And if the Lions play all their starters, and the Bills do too, and the Bills wind up playing better and continuing to look good overall....THEN are we allowed to be excited?

Better question: Can't we just be excited now? It's football. Our football team looks good. Once again, I'm not saying "Super Bowl champs!", I'm just saying this team looks completely prepared, is executing soundly, and I have hope that this sound execution and preparation can carry over into the regular season. The most optimistic thing I've said so far is that they might win 10 games.

I get it, some people like to guard themselves against disappointment after experiencing it so much over the past two decades. Not me. I choose optimism, because life is short and sports are fun.

The Bills definitely look better. We’re seeing a more effective offense, Allen looks like he’s getting better. The O-line seems improved. On defense, same excellent play as last year. Only thing that’s looked iffy has been K. 

That being said, it’s preseason, they’ve faced two short handed teams with no QB. 

Conclusion: Cautiously optimistic 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

We played and looked much better than the Luckless colts, and the Newton, Kuechley, Olsen, McCaffertyless Panthers.  

Is this really all anyone has? "The opponents were missing key players"?

What do Bills receivers beating their cornerbacks have to do with Luke Kuechly or Andrew Luck? What do the Bills front four whooping the o-linemen in front of them and controlling the line of scrimmage have to do with McCaffrey or Hilton?

If Bills players from various position groups (including groups who ARE playing all their key starters) are out-executing their opponents, it's a good thing. I don't care that the opposition didn't play. 

Recently this preseason, the Patriots absolutely WHOOPED the Lions. They beat them in all three phases THOROUGHLY, and won 31-3. And guess what: the Pats rested Tom Brady! How would you feel if the Bills had gotten thoroughly outplayed and beaten 31-3 by the Luckless Colts or the Newtonless Panthers? Dominating opponents who are missing key starters is a GOOD thing, and it's not a given.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

What do Bills receivers beating their cornerbacks have to do with Luke Kuechly or Andrew Luck? What do the Bills front four whooping the o-linemen in front of them and controlling the line of scrimmage have to do with McCaffrey or Hilton?

If Bills players from various position groups (including groups who ARE playing all their key starters) are out-executing their opponents, it's a good thing. I don't care that the opposition didn't play. 

Recently this preseason, the Patriots absolutely WHOOPED the Lions. They beat them in all three phases THOROUGHLY, and won 31-3. And guess what: the Pats rested Tom Brady! How would you feel if the Bills had gotten thoroughly outplayed and beaten 31-3 by the Luckless Colts or the Newtonless Panthers? Dominating opponents who are missing key starters is a GOOD thing, and it's not a given.

Dude, you can be excited, others can be negative, and others can be in the middle. Everyone doesn’t have to have the exact same take. 

BOOM!  problem solved. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Don't be a jerk. Quote the whole post, and don't take things out of context . My only point is the pre-season results have no correlation to regular season results.  Everyone who follows the game and uses logic is aware of this. 

• Like (+1) 1

The OP makes a good point and admins this is preseason so it does not count.

My question is why are there people who look for the negative in everything?  Enjoy what is occurring in preseason.

I am sure if it was going poorly they would be saying 2019 will be a disaster, not discounting because it is preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

My only point is the pre-season results have no correlation to regular season results.  Everyone who follows the game and uses logic is aware of this. 

Well, I follow the game and use logic, and I disagree with the notion that pre-season results have no correlation to regular season results.

For the past infinity years, the Bills have looked awful and disjointed and undisciplined and disorganized in preseason, and guess what? They looked the same way come regular season! 

I agree that the SCORE and the SCHEMES don't correlate, but I DO think that knowing your assignment and executing it better than your opponent can execute his assignment DOES matter. The whole point of my original thread is that just because the final score doesn't matter and the schemes are vanilla, it doesn't mean that NOTHING can be drawn from the preseason games. I disagree with that notion. I think it's a myth. I think people tend to confuse final score not mattering and schemes not being indicative of regular season usage with the whole enchilada not mattering and not being able to show you anything. But it DOES show you something. That's why the games are played, and that's why coaches go into each preseason game with specific objectives.

Feel free to be more cautious than I and to not draw conclusions, but to say that I don't "follow the game or use logic" because I think execution matters in the preseason is unwarranted.