"Slow down, it's only preseason"

Logic

13 hours ago, Logic said:

That's weird. I don't seem to remember the Bills playing Lorenzo Alexander or Micah Hyde on defense last week, yet they shut down the Colts offense pretty convincingly. 

I don't seem to remember Mitch Morse, Ty Nsekhe, or John Brown suiting up for Buffalo tonight. The Bills offense still took it to the Panthers defense.

Look: You can only play the people on the field. If the opposition is without key players, it means you'd better DOMINATE them. And the Bills did -- even though they, too, were missing key players. Like I said, the alternative -- and this is happening across the league to teams who are playing against opposition that are resting star players -- is to come out and look bad and fail to execute EVEN THOUGH the opposition is not at full strength. What would you say then?

If you want to be a pessimist about it and refuse to take even a modicum of cautious optimism from the fact that the Bills have looked better than their opponents two weeks in a row, then so be it. Fandom must be a real drag for you with that type of outlook. Me? I'll roll with cautious optimism, because life is short and sports are supposed to be fun.

watching players execute play calls is what preseason is for me.

not exciting. looking for diligence and continuity.

and yes Coaching having a positive effect on both those traits

last two game or two Players are really trying to get a spot. and desperation creeps in.

13 hours ago, CNY315 said:

hear hear

there there !!

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yup. It’s more fun to be optimistic because they look sharp than defend looking sloppy... but it largely matters all the same. 

There will be a handful of things to watch for- whether fosters hands are glue, whether Allen is money on timing throws (and if that is everything from pre snap read through footwork to timing and placement)... but whether brown gets separation on a guy isn’t super meaningful unless you are analyzing his footwork, body language, cut, etc...as you don’t know who is playing 80% and who is playing 90% and having space against a guy you are out hustling isn’t particularly meaningful. Similar with holding a random block in an unschemed rush. Or better yet sometimes schemed to have a guy try out techniques he doesn’t excel at in the first place as results don’t matter.

peterman often looked good in meaningless reps for that reason. In the 4th quarter of a close meaningful game it’s a whole different beast though.

that all said enjoy and keep glasses half full. The team has some potential upside, and might achieve it.

perhaps my favorite post in awhile.

on a couple levels

thanks again NS

1 hour ago, wiskibreth said:

Team play looks good; not a cluster of complete muppets.  I find that encouraging no matter who the opponent.

succint in your phrasing

Go Bills !!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

Offense looks night and day from last years pre season   Depth is finally nfl quality  It s a long season and Bills finally have good backups at a lot of important positions to withstand the 16 games of attrition.  O line isn't top 10 but I wont think will be the turnstile it was last year  It was nice just to see screens run properly   This is a nfl team that can compete week in week out and not have to hope for a +3 turnover differential each week and 50 yard field goals to eke out a close win.  Call me a homer but so far the Bills improved the most of the afc east teams  Dolphins are a hot mess.  Jets I think may be a improved but I believe will start slow.  Brady is a year older and no Gronk

Good points. On good years, we average around 17 different players on the roster from Opening Day to the finale -and our records typically reflect it. Beyond finding 8 new starters on Offense -a monumental task in itself, is adding quality pieces as depth. It seems Beane has been able to accomplish this through the Draft and good FA pick ups.

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The OL was unbelievably bad the last couple years. Stats be damned. Josh was under severe pressure all game every game. There were VERY few holes in the run game all year. They were criminally awful and Josh didnt get nearly enough credit for just ignoring, brushing off, shoving away, or juking pass rushers that were sacks against most other Qbs. These guys are different.

The second team OL impressed me more last night, even with the injuries, than the #1OL last year.  Barkley had a clean pocket, Yeldon had holes...it was nice to see.  The Bills have more talent but Bobby Johnson is just a better damn coach than Juan Castillo.

The Original Post was comparing how Bills fans are normally trying to create optimism from ***** preseason performances at this time for most of the last 20 years and now, this season we are trying to create a pessimistic view from some pretty good performances.

We were row 4 about the 20 yard line last night on the Bills side.  On both offense and defense I counted about 6 plays of about 120 run where a player was out of position or made a key mental error. 

Two of these were Tyree Jackson - the awful INT and the fade to Sills after the Wade catch and run

Abraham Wallace was very slow to react to an easy read on the Panthers 4th Quarter TD Pass

Murphy lost edge contain on a QB run in the First Quarter but made up for it later with a sack

Lawson knew he would get flagged for roughing the passer -- ran through it anyway....

This team, from top to bottom, has been well schooled on technique and is playing with instinct rather than thought.  I agree with the negatives -- in game coaching decisions; its the preseason, Bills have faced teams that held out their stars, etc.  But I really, really liked what I saw last night. 

We were listening to the Panthers post-game on the way home last night -- ex Panther S Eugene Robinson is one of the panelists--Eugene's comments reflected that it was a total domination.  The positives they came up with were the Jackson INT and the 4th quarter TD drive; both fairly meaningless plays-- in every other way they were dominated by a team (yes the Bills) that was executing very well.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

First of all - what do those preseason records mean? Like what point are you trying to make there? We've only played 2 preseason games so far, so even if you're trying to make a convoluted point about preseason record this was a weird time to do it.

But no one cares about the final score anyways. If Tyree Jackson had come in and thrown 3 pick-sixes and lost the game for us, the reaction to the game wouldn't be any different. The thing that gets people excited is how prepared the starters and backups look in every aspect of the game. On defense the corners are glued to their receiver downfield. On short passes there are always 2 or 3 tacklers around the ball. On offense Allen is looking comfortable and we finally have a receiver that knows how to separate, hit his spot, adjust to the ball, and move upfield. It looks different than what I'm used to.

I don't care what QBs the Bills defense has faced in preseason. I already know the pass defense will be very good, I'm just waiting to find out how good. I think the run defense overall looks very improved and Edmunds is playing fast.

Yeah Kuechly was out for this game. Well, good news - he won't be be playing in any of our 16 regular season games either. I guess we won't know how good the offense is until we play the Panthers again in 2021. But by the same token we won't always be dealing with a defensive line that consists of Short, Poe, and McCoy.

You are happy days. The guy you quoted?  Not so happy days.

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Preseason.

Lol

What have you seen?

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think I've been too harsh on how meaningless pre-season is...after all, Bucky Brooks has just declared Kyler Murray to be a generational QB based on pre-season games.

If he said that last week he's going to have to turn around and call him a terrible bust this week.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Anything less than a Lombardi will be massively disappointing, imo.

all about the Destination for you.?
 prefer the  journey myself.  Sincerely trending up ,  works for me.

good fun

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Logic said:

This year, like many years in the past two decades, there are a lot of Bills fans saying "Slow down, it's only preseason. It doesn't mean anything yet".

There's one key difference, though: Most years, we're saying it because the Bills look sloppy, disjointed, and ineffective. We're saying it to calm our anxieties and talk ourselves off the ledge, because the Bills look like a 5-win football team. This year? Well...this year we're saying it because the Bills look better than their opponents on both offense and defense. In the past, we've been trying to talk ourselves into more than 5 wins. "It's only preseason, they'll figure it out". This year, we're trying to talk ourselves out of a breakout, 10-win type season. "It's only preseason, it's all vanilla schemes, it doesn't matter".

See, here's the thing about that constantly uttered preseason phrase "it's only preseason, it doesn't matter": If we're talking about the SCOREBOARD, that's true. If we're talking about EXECUTION, it's a filthy lie. Sure, the opposing defense is running vanilla plays out of a limited playbook. All the more reason you want your offense to easily be able to march it down field against them. Sure, the opposing offense is trying not to tip their hand and is calling a limited script of plays. All the more reason you want your defense to easily shut them down and keep points off the board.

Score and schemes may not matter in preseason, but EXECUTION MATTERS. If your offensive linemen hold their blocks, it matters. If your receivers beat the men across from them, get open, and catch the ball, it matters. If your defense plays as a unit, shoots gaps, and keeps the score low, it matters. All things being equal, you have to look SOME SORT OF WAY in preseason, right? So wouldn't you rather that your team dominate the opponent? Put a different way: How would you all feel right now if Allen and the Bills stunk up the joint the past few weeks? Well, you'd still be saying "It's only preseason", but you'd be saying it for a very different reason. 

Look, we all know: it is a good idea to temper expectations in the preseason for the aforementioned reasons. Nevertheless: the Bills are executing their assignments more effectively than their opponents, their rookie quarterback looks vastly improved, and their defense looks absolutely stifling. When I flash back to all of the preseason ineffectiveness of recent years, I notice that it almost always carried over into the regular season. If you can't execute against vanilla schemes, you DAMN sure can't execute when the lights come on for real. So maybe, just maybe, the Bills preseason effectiveness this year will carry into the regular season. Maybe they'll keep out-executing opponents. The score and schemes may not matter, but execution matters.

Two more weeks and then we all get to see the Bills in real, important NFL regular season action. Until then, I'll keep trying to remind myself: "Slow down, it's only preseason".

Bruh.  Pump the brakes.  It's only preseason.

...and now I'll actually read your post for real ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just to back up my point that it's not a GIVEN that you dominate the opponent in preseason when they're resting key starters:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/17/jacoby-brissett-plays-well-in-andrew-lucks-absence/

"Brissett started today’s preseason game against the Browns and played well, capping his 8-for-10, 100-yard day with a touchdown pass to Eric Ebron in the corner of the end zone. Brissett also ran once for 11 yards."

Hmmm...He sure didn't look that way against the Bills! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

O, ODB...UBD

There is much to be taken from preseason games. I’m sure you realize this, but your hyperbolic take won’t allow you to admit it.  Perhaps after a good nights sleep you’ll feel differently.

Phew, thank god we have you here to keep us grounded Karlos. Phew.

What’s your point?

His point was that he could reference records, for the record, in the same sentence, and only say "record" once.   I mean, I'M impressed...

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No injuries is the biggest taken away from a preseason game.  So that’s a W. 

That is my primary goal in preseason! Four games is ridiculous and there’s a reason starters play so little. If they could only get 1/4 price for preseason tickets, would we still have four games? 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the preseason can show the team isn't bad.. but I don't really think it's any indication of a team being good. Like you said.. the Bills are doing what any team worth it's salt SHOULD do. 

An especially bad preseason performance can tell some fans they're going nowhere that year.. thankfully the Bills aren't doing that right now

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Logic said:

I have this recurring feeling that people didn't read the original post.

Is this thing on???

14 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I'm happy

I'm glad you just came out with it.  Sometimes I think people are only here because they like to hear themselves type! 

And if the Lions play all their starters, and the Bills do too, and the Bills wind up playing better and continuing to look good overall....THEN are we allowed to be excited?

I'm glad you asked. The answer is no. Sorry. 

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Usually we have to make excuses on why we aren’t playing well in preseason...this is a nice change of pace.

Exactly. In the past, our starters routinely left the field with nothing to show for it.  We said "whatevs!  It's preseason!"  They did the same, come Week 1.

37 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Was it some kind of record?

Yes. A record number of straws untouched in that reply.  ?

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Haha (+1) 1

Definitely the most prepared I've seen them since Superbowl years..Now just gotta do it on the field.. Go Bills

Just to back up my point that it's not a GIVEN that you dominate the opponent in preseason when they're resting key starters:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/17/jacoby-brissett-plays-well-in-andrew-lucks-absence/

"Brissett started today’s preseason game against the Browns and played well, capping his 8-for-10, 100-yard day with a touchdown pass to Eric Ebron in the corner of the end zone. Brissett also ran once for 11 yards."

Hmmm...He sure didn't look that way against the Bills! 

Not only that but I haven't seen us blitz 1 time. Everybody else is and raiders blitz 5 times on a row. I think that is a great sign for this season

I know I’ve brought it up many times last season. It wasn’t well thought out responses that I was getting, it was “relax it’s only preseason” especially to the terrible Oline play that was on display early and often. There was no explanation as to why I should relax. Just some hope that they’d get it together in time. 

• Like (+1) 1