What is weak link after game 2 of preseason?

36 minutes ago, ganesh said:

how much gap have they closed with the Patriots

I havent watched the Pats in pre season at all  I expect the Bills to push the Pats hard this year.  I figure the Pats to be run heavy on offense.  Long as Allen keeps the chains moving and the defense can rest we should see an end to the 1 blowout loss and 1 close loss we seem to have every season with the Cheatriots

a couple of thoughts on kicking, OL and pass rush

OL - injuries have piled up. With Morse and Ty healthy you can go Dawkins- Feliciano - Morse - Ford - Ty

If Morse is a no go you can still go Dawkins - Spain/Teller - Feliciano - Ford - Ty.

I'm surprised Teller is not getting looks at RG/LG with the 1s or much time with the 2's.

IMO he was the most improved OL last year

D Wesley ended up playing 3/4 of the game all at LT. With the other injuries to T, and was ok.

The 4 OT end up being Dawkins, Ty, Wesley and Ford (kicking out from OG)

DL - the ones and 2s had a couple of sacks. Carolina also had 4 holding penalties in the first half.

Those are instances where the OL was beat and held the DL to prevent a QB hit.

While a 10 yd penalty and repeat of down is not as good as the 5-10 yds lost and loss of down with a sack, they can be

drive killers and show the DL was beating the OL.

1st string looked better with the pass rush, 2nd string DL looked better at setting the edge versus the run IMO.

K - I tried to pay attention to the PK holding. I could have sworn the laces were rarely out for Hauschka's kicks.

I'd like some other folks to watch the ball being placed and held on kicks to verify what I saw. That may be a part

of the problem

Edited by RocCityRoller

I'm not convinced the run game is all that improved from last year, although the starting offense hasn't really been trying to establish it yet. Run blocking especially to the right still looks like a weakness to me. Singletary may end up with more receiving yards than rush yards if they see Shady and Gore as the workhorses.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not convinced the run game is all that improved from last year, although the starting offense hasn't really been trying to establish it yet. Run blocking especially to the right still looks like a weakness to me. Singletary may end up with more receiving yards than rush yards if they see Shady and Gore as the workhorses.

I don't see any back used in a workhorse fashion. There is going to be a lot of rotation within the group and there will probably be a lot of swing passes thrown to them. If I had to make a prediction I would say that as the season advances Singletary's role will increase as a runner. Our OL is still in the reshuffling and formative stage but it is dramatically better than last year's unit. I'm optimistic that because so many of the players are so versatile that this line will be able to sustain some injuries and still respectably perform. 

The same that it was all last year. The O-line still has question marks at 4 of 5 positions,  TE is a disaster,  and the pass rush is a concern.  Fears of Ed Oliver being too small and being handled easily by NFL lineman are creeping up. 7th round DE is a nice surprise so far. Allen looked better and the WR group looks promising.  The RB group looks very good. I wish they would just cut Dimarco and not waste a roster spot on a useless position. 

Really need Morse to come back soon. I'm fairly certain Kroft goes to PUP making TE again a mess. 

Oh yeah and what about the penalties? A problem all last year and continues this year. 

After all that, it's still just the preseason. Let's see what happens in NY.  Win those two games and all is good. Lose either and it is a concern. Lose both and you can start looking forward to a new HC and GM search.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The same that it was all last year. The O-line still has question marks at 4 of 5 positions,  TE is a disaster,  and the pass rush is a concern.  Fears of Ed Oliver being too small and being handled easily by NFL lineman are creeping up. 7th round DE is a nice surprise so far. Allen looked better and the WR group looks promising.  The RB group looks very good. I wish they would just cut Dimarco and not waste a roster spot on a useless position. 

Really need Morse to come back soon. I'm fairly certain Kroft goes to PUP making TE again a mess. 

Oh yeah and what about the penalties? A problem all last year and continues this year. 

After all that, it's still just the preseason. Let's see what happens in NY.  Win those two games and all is good. Lose either and it is a concern. Lose both and you can start looking forward to a new HC and GM search.

Oline has one question and it’s whether Morse can play, otherwise the line is set. 

TE will come together by Game 1 and far from a “disaster.”

In his first two preseason games opponents already double team the “small” Oliver and he’s still making plays. 

O-line without doubt IMO, given its importance. Obviously a lot depends on Morse's ability to play and for the line to be settled and to  begin developing cohesion. Beyond that I've not been impressed with Spain. He looks way out of game shape, he's been turnstiled a couple of times, has been flagged for holding and the thing that most alarmed me was seeing him get absolutely rag dolled once last night. I mean sure the Panthers starting D-line is good but Spain weighs like 330 lbs. He needs to keep his feet and suck it up.

14 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I like Feliciano playing center. I think he’s a nasty blocker. I won’t lie I haven’t paid much attention to Morse in KC so not sure what we’re missing but I’ve been impressed with Feliciano. Swain gives me some concern, he seems beat a lot and has actually gotten away with some holds and been called for a couple I think. Kicking is looking ugly too as others have said 

Before preseason started I was saying how I didn't think Spain would be a starter; I thought Spencer Long was best suited to play LG.

I still hold to Dawkins LT, Long LG, Morse C, Feliciano RG, and Ford RT as the most dominant lineup.   

Punter is the weak link.

I'm not concerned about Hauschka, yet.

The offensive line has problems due to injuries, but this unit is far better than what we had last year.

I don't get the criticism for the pass rush. They look efficient, not great, but definitely not a liability.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Then again, it may be the Best Idea. Seattle thought so and he’s even older now.

He is an expensive kicker.  We are in a much better cap position than Seattle was.  I think he will be fine and back to nailing 50+ yarders in no time.  If he gets back to where he was pre injury then we have one of the best Ks in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He is an expensive kicker.  We are in a much better cap position than Seattle was.  I think he will be fine and back to nailing 50+ yarders in no time.  If he gets back to where he was pre injury then we have one of the best Ks in the NFL.

Reportedly he’s been pretty much perfect in practice. I truly don’t think they move on unless he struggles in the regular season. Have to take into account that the holder has a lot to do with Kicker consistency and he’s been with a few different punters going back to last year. They need to make a decision on punter (likely Carter) and let him hold for all kicks going forward. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I watched game and feel that our center is issue if Morse is not ready and our punter situation, which is weird because for many years Moorman was our MVP.  Am I missing some other real problem? I think the final cuts will be hard for good reasons this year.

I didn’t think the OL on any of the three strings really did a good job with run blocking.  The first unit especially seemed to be really ineffective and making any creases or holes.  Singeltary would get stuffed on the line and he looked very much like McCoy last year.

I know that Spain and Ford and supposed to be great run blockers but I haven’t seen it in limited work the first two games of the year.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Reportedly he’s been pretty much perfect in practice. I truly don’t think they move on unless he struggles in the regular season. Have to take into account that the holder has a lot to do with Kicker consistency and he’s been with a few different punters going back to last year. They need to make a decision on punter (likely Carter) and let him hold for all kicks going forward. 

I think fans forget when we had a kicker that could not hit the extra point on a regular basis.

• Thank you (+1) 1