Is this the Bills best qb pair since Kelly-Reich

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

sorry mac, orton was a scrub back up, 9 seasons of accomplishing nothing. manuel, well, everyone knows his history. I'm not going back and forth with you on this because JA and MB are going to make their own history, a history that has not been written yet. I'm pretty confident though that they will fare much better then manuel/orton. 

This is the dumbest thing I've read today. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A good back up gets you 2-2 in four games your starter gets knocked out of. If you're really lucky, 3-1. I think Barkley is 1-3 and the same chance to go 0-4 as 2-2. And extremely unlikely to go 3-1 unless the rest of the offense as well as the defense plays great, which is just as unlikely. He's capable of playing like he did against the Jets if he gets extremely lucky, which he did with several of his floater passes. If you play that same game again he's not likely to get the same result and it's not because he isn't smart, experienced or accurate. He is. He couldn't do it before because of his arm, which is still his arm. 

First of all....you are totally entitled to your opinion

Right now I cant agree with it for the following reasons

First....the prediction that Matt would be lose 3 games out of 4 is unfair because he is actually UNDEFEATED in games he has started for us....1-0.  

Second....lets not forget what a shitshow last year's offense was.....offensive line...couldnt pass protect.....couldnt open holes for the run.....all of it....Matt made it work

I mean I really dont want to splice to much because you say 1 and 3....I think a decent backup QB gets you to 2 and 2 in 4 games.....Matt Bartkely at this stage is basically Ryan Fitzpatrick....not a real arm but good accuracy and anticipation and wont cause drama in a locker room

If Josh goes down...none of it matters...but I think Matt Barkely is good for 2 wins out of 4 games....just my opinion

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

First....the prediction that Matt would be lose 3 games out of 4 is unfair because he is actually UNDEFEATED in games he has started for us....1-0.  

Second....lets not forget what a shitshow last year's offense was.....offensive line...couldnt pass protect.....couldnt open holes for the run.....all of it....Matt made it work

I mean I really dont want to splice to much because you say 1 and 3....I think a decent backup QB gets you to 2 and 2 in 4 games.....Matt Bartkely at this stage is basically Ryan Fitzpatrick....not a real arm but good accuracy and anticipation and wont cause drama in a locker room

If Josh goes down...none of it matters...but I think Matt Barkely is good for 2 wins out of 4 games....just my opinion

Fair enough. Mine is only an opinion as well. But it is based on watching Barkley a lot, in college, in Philly and Chicago... If he had Fitzy's arm I would totally agree with you and I would actually very much like Barkley as our backup. But it's not even close. Fitzy has a lower tier arm, and it is substantially stronger than MB's. Fitzy, as they say, can make all the throws. Barkley cannot.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I don't think the seasons over God forbid Josh goes down,

Matt Barkley is a real comfortable fit in the Daboll O

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Look, I love JA, but can we have a winning season with him at the helm before we declare him the best ever at anything?

Please go back and read the actual question. I get it, Josh has a lot to prove. BUT, can you name a better and/or more promising #1 and #2 since Kelly and Reich?  THAT is what the thread is asking. 

I’m not 100% sold, but I AM encouraged by Josh’s play. He sure looked strong in the Panthers game. (Then again, Mr Peterman is the King of pre-season.) Barkley looks capable, at least is short term situations. I say YES to the OP’s question. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Fair enough. Mine is only an opinion as well. But it is based on watching Barkley a lot, in college, in Philly and Chicago... If he had Fitzy's arm I would totally agree with you and I would actually very much like Barkley as our backup. But it's not even close. Fitzy has a lower tier arm, and it is substantially stronger than MB's. Fitzy, as they say, can make all the throws. Barkley cannot.

Kelly,

Come on now.....Barkely's arm is average but lets not take it to thuis extreme.   If Fizt wants to throw anything deep he uses his whole body for that wind up man....its on tape (and I like Fitz)

Barkely is a guy that knows his limitations he throw some nice deep balls in that jets game last year that were right on the mark...and the majority of his game is short quick accurate throws.

Not much of a runner though

39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Kelly,

Come on now.....Barkely's arm is average but lets not take it to thuis extreme.   If Fizt wants to throw anything deep he uses his whole body for that wind up man....its on tape (and I like Fitz)

Barkely is a guy that knows his limitations he throw some nice deep balls in that jets game last year that were right on the mark...and the majority of his game is short quick accurate throws.

Not much of a runner though

That's the thing. Fitz can wind up and give it all he's got and get it there. Barkley cannot. His arm is way below average and it is the one thing that has hurt him. He's much closer to Peterman than Fitzy.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's the thing. Fitz can wind up and give it all he's got and get it there. Barkley cannot. His arm is way below average and it is the one thing that has hurt him. He's much closer to Peterman than Fitzy.

The difference between Barkely and Peterman is Matt is simply smarter....he knows his limitations.

That is actually what hurts Peterman....he could play in this league if he wouldnt keep making that cross the field cross body throw that gets picked.....and he cannot stay away from it.  If he could you might have something.

Matt wont do that....he knows what he can and cannot do.....he would NEVER make that throw that he knows he doesnt have the arm strength for....he would go somewhere else.   And as a OC you wouldnt ask him to do it.....its all short game stuff and if you have an accurate QB you can do that (Brady lived off it for years and I am by no means calling Barkely Brady.....but he went to super bowls doing that)

Good for 2 out of 4 games

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The difference between Barkely and Peterman is Matt is simply smarter....he knows his limitations.

That is actually what hurts Peterman....he could play in this league if he wouldnt keep making that cross the field cross body throw that gets picked.....and he cannot stay away from it.  If he could you might have something.

Matt wont do that....he knows what he can and cannot do.....he would NEVER make that throw that he knows he doesnt have the arm strength for....he would go somewhere else.   And as a OC you wouldnt ask him to do it.....its all short game stuff and if you have an accurate QB you can do that (Brady lived off it for years and I am by no means calling Barkely Brady.....but he went to super bowls doing that)

Good for 2 out of 4 games

That's a decent point about out passes, but if that is not in your arsenal it is a HUGE disadvantage, and also extrapolates into deep outs, and deep ins, and 15 yard curls, and other patterms, which are the problems he has had his entire career.

55 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's a decent point about out passes, but if that is not in your arsenal it is a HUGE disadvantage, and also extrapolates into deep outs, and deep ins, and 15 yard curls, and other patterms, which are the problems he has had his entire career.

As a Bills fan who isn't too knowledgeable about QB mechanics I'm curious about your assessment of Barkley. Are there any starting QB's he's comparable to or is he significantly consider to have a weaker arm than any QB capable of starting? I want to know to what extent Daboll can plan around him even if he is limited as opposed to his arm strength being something that will haunt him no matter how great he is at all other aspects of the game.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Please go back and read the actual question. I get it, Josh has a lot to prove. BUT, can you name a better and/or more promising #1 and #2 since Kelly and Reich?  THAT is what the thread is asking. 

I’m not 100% sold, but I AM encouraged by Josh’s play. He sure looked strong in the Panthers game. (Then again, Mr Peterman is the King of pre-season.) Barkley looks capable, at least is short term situations. I say YES to the OP’s question. 

the new preseason king?

12 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:
12 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

sorry mac, orton was a scrub back up, 9 seasons of accomplishing nothing. manuel, well, everyone knows his history. I'm not going back and forth with you on this because JA and MB are going to make their own history, a history that has not been written yet. I'm pretty confident though that they will fare much better then manuel/orton. 

This is the dumbest thing I've read today. Thanks.

Orton is and was a crappy QB.   Sure you can claim his "stats"were better than a raw rookie (EJ) as proof

• He had 9 freaking years experience.  
  • He was replaced by Tyrod  (after 1 season)

Where did he play after he left Buffalo again?  

is 33 sacks in 12 games a lot? 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

the new preseason king?

And this is why the preseason is completely meaningless.  Still any football is awesome. 

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is Joe Montana compared to Matt Barkley.  And I liked Barkley the best in his draft.  When he had to play for the Bears, he was on pace to throw 28 ints in a season!  

I get the excitement but Allen hasn’t proven anything and Barkley has proven he is a borderline nfl qb.  You could do worse but top flight backup QBs aren’t sitting on their couch 7 weeks into the season.  

I didn't read through the whole thread but I was thinking about this question and I think Allen/Barkley is probably the best duo since (gasp) Flutie/Johnson.  Whether you loved/hated either one of those guys they each had talent and could be "the guy" for a while.  Since Kelly and Reich the Bills haven't had that except for those two -- until now (hopefully).

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And this is why the preseason is completely meaningless.  Still any football is awesome. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is Joe Montana compared to Matt Barkley.  And I liked Barkley the best in his draft.  When he had to play for the Bears, he was on pace to throw 28 ints in a season!  

I get the excitement but Allen hasn’t proven anything and Barkley has proven he is a borderline nfl qb.  You could do worse but top flight backup QBs aren’t sitting on their couch 7 weeks into the season.  

No offense C. but sometimes I seriously wonder if they read what they are responding to.

"Top Flight" I dont think ANYBODY is saying that.....all I simply said is Matt is a smart vet guy who is in a good offense for him and knows his limitations and fits the definition of being a solid backup QB.  He is accurate, smart, experienced and will never be confused with a starter.  Just a guy that you could win half your games with if your starter went down.

I dont know what happened with his previous teams....I care about what he is doing here.  I dont expect a ton.....if he has to start any amount of games we are screwed but you can say that with just about every NFL team.

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

No offense C. but sometimes I seriously wonder if they read what they are responding to.

"Top Flight" I dont think ANYBODY is saying that.....all I simply said is Matt is a smart vet guy who is in a good offense for him and knows his limitations and fits the definition of being a solid backup QB.  He is accurate, smart, experienced and will never be confused with a starter.  Just a guy that you could win half your games with if your starter went down.

I dont know what happened with his previous teams....I care about what he is doing here.  I dont expect a ton.....if he has to start any amount of games we are screwed but you can say that with just about every NFL team.

John, I think it’s kinda silly to ignore a whole worth of evidence for one game against the Jets (who fired everyone) and a couple of preseason games, where most qbs can look good.  

I’m fine with him as a backup and I’m sure he is great in the locker room.  But we could be in trouble if he has to play:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarkMa00/gamelog/2016/

but if you guys guys really want to get crazy:  are we sure Allen and not Barkley gives us the best chance to win???? ?