Is this the Bills best qb pair since Kelly-Reich

I don’t know. Barkley’s noodle arm can be fairly easily game planned against. He looks good currently on timing patterns in Camp and against backups just as he did in his surprise start at NYJ last season. He reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington. It has to be a preplanned throw on timing or he’ll be exposed, imo.

To the OPs question, we haven’t had 1 good QB since Jimbo/Frank, let alone a pair.

I want to get to a place where we no longer really give a crap who the backup is.

Rodgers is backed up by Kizer, for God's sake.  Rivers .... okay, I won't go there ....

As fans, we are so used to having such crap at QB that the backup position has been in the limelight more than just about any other team.  This is the team that had a press conference to introduce Vince ***** Young.

Hopefully after this season, we get past that.

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So are you saying that Barkley is a back-up QB?

I'm saying he is not even a good back-up QB. There are not a lot of great ones, and not a huge amount of good ones, so we could do worse and have lately. Mine is more of a warning sign that Bills fans think that the Jets game and preseason are signs of what we would get from him, and they are ignoring that his limitations are very much still there and if he is forced to play more than a half or a game in the regular season it is much, much more likely to be a disaster than a triumph. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm saying he is not even a good back-up QB. There are not a lot of great ones, and not a huge amount of good ones, so we could do worse and have lately. Mine is more of a warning sign that Bills fans think that the Jets game and preseason are signs of what we would get from him, and they are ignoring that his limitations are very much still there and if he is forced to play more than a half or a game in the regular season it is much, much more likely to be a disaster than a triumph. 

I think that Barkley is competent enough to fill the role as a back-up.

Do I expect him to throw for 380 yards and 4 touchdowns every time he plays? No.

I think that he could lead the Bills to a victory or two when called upon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/16/2019 at 9:05 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

I hate to be a naysayer (not really) but Barkely is an average backup at best. He has played great since coming to the Bills but he would likely get murdered if he had to play a few games. Yes, he played great against the Jets, but he still has a rag arm that cannot consistently beat NFL defenses in the regular season. He's smart, and accurate, and a great teammate, and will help Josh, but 90% of Bills fans IMO are way, way, way wrong about him I fear.

Kelly it sounds like your describing a good backup NFL QB to me.....

If they were better they would be starting....there are not enough starting caliber NFL qbs to go around.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, BullBuchanan said:

At this point I really don't think there's any reason to believe it's better than Manuel/Orton. I knowa lot of people are assuming that Allen will be here for 15 years, v and I hope he is, but he really have done a thing to earn that yet. If you redrafted today, he'd probably be the 4th QB taken.

You are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it might be

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Kelly it sounds like your describing a good backup NFL QB to me.....

If they were better they would be starting....there are not enough starting caliber NFL qbs to go around.

A good back up gets you 2-2 in four games your starter gets knocked out of. If you're really lucky, 3-1. I think Barkley is 1-3 and the same chance to go 0-4 as 2-2. And extremely unlikely to go 3-1 unless the rest of the offense as well as the defense plays great, which is just as unlikely. He's capable of playing like he did against the Jets if he gets extremely lucky, which he did with several of his floater passes. If you play that same game again he's not likely to get the same result and it's not because he isn't smart, experienced or accurate. He is. He couldn't do it before because of his arm, which is still his arm. 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:09 PM, BullBuchanan said:

At this point I really don't think there's any reason to believe it's better than Manuel/Orton. I knowa lot of people are assuming that Allen will be here for 15 years, v and I hope he is, but he really have done a thing to earn that yet. If you redrafted today, he'd probably be the 4th QB taken.

this is hilarious and I'd bet 10 to 1 it was the full intent of getting the obvious reaction to such a ridiculous take. good job

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A good back up gets you 2-2 in four games your starter gets knocked out of. If you're really lucky, 3-1. I think Barkley is 1-3 and the same chance to go 0-4 as 2-2. And extremely unlikely to go 3-1 unless the rest of the offense as well as the defense plays great, which is just as unlikely. He's capable of playing like he did against the Jets if he gets extremely lucky, which he did with several of his floater passes. If you play that same game again he's not likely to get the same result and it's not because he isn't smart, experienced or accurate. He is. He couldn't do it before because of his arm, which is still his arm. 

he's the back up. he's better then thigpen or the likes they've had at back up in the past. at the end of the day you just hope his number isn't called on and if so, it's only for a game or two. no need to be hell bent in painting such a bad picture of the kid, he's the back up QB, no more, no less.

7 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

he's the back up. he's better then thigpen or the likes they've had at back up in the past. at the end of the day you just hope his number isn't called on and if so, it's only for a game or two. no need to be hell bent in painting such a bad picture of the kid, he's the back up QB, no more, no less.

More trying to temper exceedingly lofty painting of pictures based on one regular season game where if you watch it again he made a bunch of good throws and a bunch of lucky ones. I like him as a #3, I'm very happy with what he can teach Josh, he's a great teammate and yes, he is better than several #2s we have had in the last couple decades.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

More trying to temper exceedingly lofty painting of pictures based on one regular season game where if you watch it again he made a bunch of good throws and a bunch of lucky ones. I like him as a #3, I'm very happy with what he can teach Josh, he's a great teammate and yes, he is better than several #2s we have had in the last couple decades.

again, lets just hope if his number is called it isn't for more then a game or two. at this point it's who they're rolling with so, it is what it is.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

this is hilarious and I'd bet 10 to 1 it was the full intent of getting the obvious reaction to such a ridiculous take. good job

Not really. No one really knows yet whether Allen is going to stick in this league or flame out in 3 years. He's in a long line of players who had ups and downs their first year and needs to take big strides in his sophomore season. Nationally, we're considered to have a bottom 5 QB situation. If you spend too much time around here you though, you'd think we already had Mahomes wearing #17.

Preseason has been encouraging so far, but last was pretty balanced good and bad, not unlike Manuel's rookie year.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not really. No one really knows yet whether Allen is going to stick in this league or flame out in 3 years. He's in a long line of players who had ups and downs their first year and needs to take big strides in his sophomore season. Nationally, we're considered to have a bottom 5 QB situation. If you spend too much time around here you though, you'd think we already had Mahomes wearing #17.

Preseason has been encouraging so far, but last was pretty balanced good and bad, not unlike Manuel's rookie year.

time will tell but I still wouldn't compare them to manuel/orton.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

time will tell but I still wouldn't compare them to manuel/orton.

In the context of today? You have a high draft pick sophomore that won some games and made some splashy plays, but had enough negatives to not be considered a sure thing  and a journeyman backup who's played very well on occasions. I mean, how much closer can you get?

Are you sure it's not just because the other guys didn't work out? 

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

In the context of today? You have a high draft pick sophomore that won some games and made some splashy plays, but had enough negatives to not be considered a sure thing  and a journeyman backup who's played very well on occasions. I mean, how much closer can you get?

Are you sure it's not just because the other guys didn't work out? 

it's because there hasn't been enough games played by the present to even consider comparing to the past.

has nothing to do with the fact that both examples you use are mere scrubs.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

it's because there hasn't been enough games played by the present to even consider comparing to the past.

has nothing to do with the fact that both examples you use are mere scrubs.

This is literally the point of the thread...

Orton was never a scrub, he was just asked to be better than he was while he was here. He played 9 seasons in the league.
Manuel was definitely not a scrub entering his second season, either.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

This is literally the point of the thread...

Orton was never a scrub, he was just asked to be better than he was while he was here. He played 9 seasons in the league.
Manuel was definitely not a scrub entering his second season, either.

sorry mac, orton was a scrub back up, 9 seasons of accomplishing nothing. manuel, well, everyone knows his history. I'm not going back and forth with you on this because JA and MB are going to make their own history, a history that has not been written yet. I'm pretty confident though that they will fare much better then manuel/orton.