Is this the Bills best qb pair since Kelly-Reich

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hate to be a naysayer (not really) but Barkely is an average backup at best. He has played great since coming to the Bills but he would likely get murdered if he had to play a few games. Yes, he played great against the Jets, but he still has a rag arm that cannot consistently beat NFL defenses in the regular season. He's smart, and accurate, and a great teammate, and will help Josh, but 90% of Bills fans IMO are way, way, way wrong about him I fear.

I have to disagree.  I know Sullivan and others are beating the drum as him being an average backup, but I would much rather have a guy with a lifetime QB pedigree and some talent like Barkley, than a guy who is far more talented but doesn't see the game as well.  I am confident that Barkley can come in cold, run the offense and win games.  Also while I don't think  Barkley is going to turn into a starter in the future, sometimes guys come into their own a littler later than what is typical.  From what I have seen Barkley has progressed as a player and is a better QB than he was 2-3 years ago.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, Lenigmusx said:

I suppose you forget that Drew Bledsoe has the franchise best passing season by a rather large margin. Kelly is my all time favorite but both Bledsoe and Flutie (pro bowl appearances as  Bills) were top tier NFL QB’s for part of the tenure in the Bills uniform.

I didn't forget...i liked Bledsoe but he really only had 1 good year and I'm not going to start on Flutie

19 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I have to disagree.  I know Sullivan and others are beating the drum as him being an average backup, but I would much rather have a guy with a lifetime QB pedigree and some talent like Barkley, than a guy who is far more talented but doesn't see the game as well.  I am confident that Barkley can come in cold, run the offense and win games.  Also while I don't think  Barkley is going to turn into a starter in the future, sometimes guys come into their own a littler later than what is typical.  From what I have seen Barkley has progressed as a player and is a better QB than he was 2-3 years ago.

When you don’t have the arm you don’t have the arm. You can get away with stuff some of the time in real games. He was always a smart qb 

Right now, we have 2 qbs with career qb ratings of 67.9 and 68.3.  Might be a little early for this.  

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarkMa00.htm

we saw the best game and 2nd win of Barkley’s career.  Really good dude and great locker room guy but he is the definition of a journeyman qb.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In 11 years of playing, Kelly only completed 60% or more of his passes four times.  I hope Josh can be better than that.

Completely different era.  We are in an era where Matt “Freakin” Stafford passes for 5,000 yards and Blake Bortels!!! Beat Kelly’s season high in yards twice!!!

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely different era.  We are in an era where Matt “Freakin” Stafford passes for 5,000 yards and Blake Bortels!!! Beat Kelly’s season high in yards twice!!!

So the QB rating can be compared between different eras, but not completion percentage.  Got it.

cherry-picking.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So the QB rating can be compared between different eras, but not completion percentage.  Got it.

cherry-picking.jpg

Qb rating shouldn’t be compared either.  It’s a completely different league with much easier rules for qbs and receivers.   Kelly and those guys numbers would have looked much better in this era.   

I dont think a rational person can dispute that. 

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Are you implying that Matt Stafford is not a very good QB?

I definitely won’t say he’s very good.  He can be good and is probably middle of the pack in terms of starters.  He certainly isn’t on Marino’s level.  When Marino hit 5,000, 3,000 was the sign of a good passing season for a qb.  Again, Blake Bortels beat Jim Kelly’s season high in passing yardage twice!!!  It’s so much easier to put up stats now. 

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Qb rating shouldn’t be compared either.  It’s a completely different league with much easier rules for qbs and receivers.   Kelly and those guys numbers would have looked much better in this era.   

I dont think a rational person can dispute that. 

Why, on earth, would I be talking about QB rating?  Oh .... that's right .... because you compared Allen/Barkley' QB rating to Kelly/Reich's.

QB rating is a craptastic statistic, regardless of era.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Why, on earth, would I be talking about QB rating?  Oh .... that's right .... because you compared Allen/Barkley' QB rating to Kelly/Reich's.

QB rating is a craptastic statistic, regardless of era.

So what stat matters then?  All numbers show Barkley is barely nfl caliber (I’m fine with him as a backup but he’s extremely replaceable) and Allen has some of the worst passing stats in the nfl.  Obviously this can all change but to just pretend like Barkley isn’t a bottom tier backup and Allen has made it at this point is kinda silly. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So what stat matters then?  All numbers show Barkley is barely nfl caliber (I’m fine with him as a backup but he’s extremely replaceable) and Allen has some of the worst passing stats in the nfl.  Obviously this can all change but to just pretend like Barkley isn’t a bottom tier backup and Allen has made it at this point is kinda silly. 

You are trying way too hard to go against the grain.  You need lessons from the other two.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You are trying way too hard to go against the grain.  You need lessons from the other two.

You’re just rambling old man. ? I have no idea what point you’re making.  Even though every single evidence shows Allen (a rookie so he gets a pass) and Barkley have been below average passers (significantly), they are really good?  You’re the one going against the grain and you make no sense.  But enjoy your night of watching Matlock reruns.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re just rambling old man. ? I have no idea what point you’re making.  Even though every single evidence shows Allen (a rookie so he gets a pass) and Barkley have been below average passers (significantly), they are really good?  You’re the one going against the grain and you make no sense.  But enjoy your night of watching Matlock reruns.

it's funny how you had claimed to be a homer at one time, probably caught a bunch of slack for it too and now here you are coming in and crashing every (thread) party that may have optimism in regards to the team/players and you go out of your way to try and piss on the parade. pretty pathetic actually and when someone calls you out on it, you come back with the "old man" *****.

not cool at all.

• Awesome! (+1) 2