Is this the Bills best qb pair since Kelly-Reich

I know it's early, and I'm certainly not anointing Josh as the second coming, (although he certainly appears to be moving along nicely towards what many think he may ultimately be capable of). It just strikes me that for the first time in a long time, we seem to be in really good shape as to both starting and back-up qb. Are he and Barkely the best pair since Kelly-Reich, the gold standard? How about Bledsoe-Van Pelt, or Flutie-Johnson? Any others? Thoughts?

I hate to be a naysayer (not really) but Barkely is an average backup at best. He has played great since coming to the Bills but he would likely get murdered if he had to play a few games. Yes, he played great against the Jets, but he still has a rag arm that cannot consistently beat NFL defenses in the regular season. He's smart, and accurate, and a great teammate, and will help Josh, but 90% of Bills fans IMO are way, way, way wrong about him I fear.

• Like (+1) 1

At this point I really don't think there's any reason to believe it's better than Manuel/Orton. I knowa lot of people are assuming that Allen will be here for 15 years, v and I hope he is, but he really have done a thing to earn that yet. If you redrafted today, he'd probably be the 4th QB taken.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

Sadly, yes. I’m thrilled that we have these two guys, but we have a long way to go to prove they are the guys for years to come. It’s looking very promising, especially after what I’ve seen tonight.

But as to the actual question, they are competing with the kind of hot garbage my dog occasionally yacks up on my dining room rug after eating weeds. No contest! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hate to be a naysayer (not really) but Barkely is an average backup at best. He has played great since coming to the Bills but he would likely get murdered if he had to play a few games. Yes, he played great against the Jets, but he still has a rag arm that cannot consistently beat NFL defenses in the regular season. He's smart, and accurate, and a great teammate, and will help Josh, but 90% of Bills fans IMO are way, way, way wrong about him I fear.

I don't think it's fair to completely overlook the Jets game considering he was out of the league for awhile before that. Granted we only have one game and training camp/pre-season, but he's been pretty damn good every time he's been on the field, and we all know he gets a back-up QB A+ for every single thing that he's done off it. Dude is still only 28 so it's not absurd to think that he may have progressed a bit since his early career. If his attitude is legit which it seems to be then I think there's a decent chance that he might be a very serviceable back-up for a very long time, but regardless yeah, let's all hope that we don't see him or anybody else but Josh Allen start multiple games any time soon.

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

I don't think it's fair to completely overlook the Jets game considering he was out of the league for awhile before that. Granted we only have one game and training camp/pre-season, but he's been pretty damn good every time he's been on the field, and we all know he gets a back-up QB A+ for every single thing that he's done off it. Dude is still only 28 so it's not absurd to think that he may have progressed a bit since his early career. If his attitude is legit which it seems to be then I think there's a decent chance that he might be a very serviceable back-up for a very long time, but regardless yeah, let's all hope that we don't see him or anybody else but Josh Allen start multiple games any time soon.

That's not the issue though. He was a great college QB. He was drafted in the fourth round because his arm was not NFL quality. He played on Philly and Chicago. He showed flashes but he failed, badly, because his arm is a liability. It's his only real liability but it's a HUGE one. It''s not likely to get better. Against the Jets he made about six really good plays. None of them showed real arm strength, his death knell. A few of his floaters luckily fell into Bills Wrs hands when defenders just missed them. He could have easily had two INTs on the throws he made. In practice and preseason he can excel like Peterman because the game is at 3/4 speed. But his arm cannot cash checks his head will make, and in the regular season, it's much more likely to be the Philly or Chicago Barkely than the Bills 2018 Jets game Barkley. His experience can only help him so much. There has only been one guy in the last 20-30 years that succeeded over time with an arm like that. If he had Trent Edwards' arm he would be a solid starter in this league.

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

At this point I really don't think there's any reason to believe it's better than Manuel/Orton. I knowa lot of people are assuming that Allen will be here for 15 years, v and I hope he is, but he really have done a thing to earn that yet. If you redrafted today, he'd probably be the 4th QB taken.

Ummm... Fourth behind who??? Rosen??? L. Jackson??? No I dont see it ... L. Jackson is not a good nfl QB at all. But its good to have guarded optimism.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Excellence in incorrectness right here.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That is truly laughable.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Flutie / Johnson probably.

? 

Maybe.... let’s circle back after this season. 

Barkley was better with the Bears in 2016 than his stats suggest he was.  I graded every game of every QB in that season and I had him ranked tied for 15th with Dak Prescott and Alex Smith.  He was very close to grade with Philip Rivers and Matt Stafford.  His biggest issue was turnovers but he got the ball downfield (10+ yards) a lot and the biggest reason for his bad numbers were his receivers.  PFF graded him with an 80+ rating that year.  I was very happy when the Bills signed Barkley just because of how impressed I was with how he played.  He showed potential as long as he could cut down on the picks and so far he has done that with the Bills.  It remains to be seen if the turnovers become a problem when he plays more.  He is comparable to Ryan Fitzpatrick and is probably the ideal back-up because the turnovers may become an issue the more he plays.  

• Like (+1) 1