10 observations Bills v. Panthers

No way the Bills can keep three QBs on the 53. I'm confident Tyree can be kept on the PS without being stolen.

Wade looks amazing, but they are going to need to get him a lot more touches in final two PS games before they could possibly consider keeping him on the 53. It is just too damn competitive to make this roster this season. If they put him on the PS, which is very enticing since he'd be a free extra player, I think it is possible he gets grabbed by a team not in the hunt and able to take a flyer with a spot on their 53.

The answer to the tough cuts could be trading some away rather than cutting them. Those looking in from the outside are likely good enough to be traded for late-round picks. That's how well Beane and company built depth.

I remember when the best players on the team were our punter and kicker.

I had no problem with keeping Smoke and Zay in street clothes last night. I'm hoping they lighten Beasley's load the next two weeks.

Sweeney is our opening day starter at TE.

Most everyone has said an injury to Allen or Morse would likely destroy the season. They are both vital to any success we may have this year, but I also now believe we have depth that could keep us moving should disaster strike.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, from_dunkirk said:

In the 80's, it went to 70 players after the first game, 60 players after the second game, 50 players after the third game, and finally, 45 players after the fourth game. Things were more exciting back then. There was no practice squad and no 53-man roster. Training camp began in early July. The first week of the season was on Labor Day weekend. The Super Bowl was always in January. Players were tougher and less injury prone. The teams have it too good nowadays.

Plus the rain never fell until after sundown and July and August never were too hot.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont think its the scheme.  Hausch Money looks to have lost power in his kicking leg. 

Dont feel confident in the guy at all right now.

Monopoly money.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I am, admittedly, a homer-esque Josh Allen supporter.

I think the early incompletion to McCoy was a bad pass; not a drop.  I also think the completion to Beasley shortly before that was also a bad pass, but Beasley went down and got it.

Otherwise, I was very impressed with Allen's pocket awareness.  When he took the sack, he knew someone was on him, but couldn't get far enough away to avoid the sack.

The other time he took off running for a short gain also showed that he felt the presence and reacted accordingly.

I liked how they established very early that Beasley was the obvious target on 3rd and short plays.  Eventually, it opened up a nice pass to Sweeney for a nice gain and a first down.

Allen was decisive and didn't force the ball downfield ... both excellent signs of significant growth.

All in all, I really liked what the offense showed; especially Josh Allen.  The two underthrows early in the first quarter could have been jitters; who knows?  But he became more comfortable as the time passed and I was really impressed with his overall performance.

GO BILLS!

The throw to Shady was fine and should have been caught.  And the first throw to Beasley looked like he thought Beasley would be where he threw it. 

16 minutes ago, scribo said:

Wade looks amazing, but they are going to need to get him a lot more touches in final two PS games before they could possibly consider keeping him on the 53. It is just too damn competitive to make this roster this season. If they put him on the PS, which is very enticing since he'd be a free extra player, I think it is possible he gets grabbed by a team not in the hunt and able to take a flyer with a spot on their 53.

If Wade if on the PS in a protected slot, no one, not even the Bills, can sign him to their 53 this year.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I am, admittedly, a homer-esque Josh Allen supporter.

I think the early incompletion to McCoy was a bad pass; not a drop.  I also think the completion to Beasley shortly before that was also a bad pass, but Beasley went down and got it.

Otherwise, I was very impressed with Allen's pocket awareness.  When he took the sack, he knew someone was on him, but couldn't get far enough away to avoid the sack.

The other time he took off running for a short gain also showed that he felt the presence and reacted accordingly.

I liked how they established very early that Beasley was the obvious target on 3rd and short plays.  Eventually, it opened up a nice pass to Sweeney for a nice gain and a first down.

Allen was decisive and didn't force the ball downfield ... both excellent signs of significant growth.

All in all, I really liked what the offense showed; especially Josh Allen.  The two underthrows early in the first quarter could have been jitters; who knows?  But he became more comfortable as the time passed and I was really impressed with his overall performance.

GO BILLS!

Id rather his misses be low than sailing them 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the coaching staff did a nice job putting Allen in positions early to make some easy throws and get a better rhythm than game one where he was taking shots deep (and missing) right out of the gate. 

It also helped that the early passes were to Beasley instead of butterfingers so instead of poorly placed balls being incompletions Beasley was able to adjust and pick the football out of the dirt. 

By the time Allen had to make a harder throw downfield to Sweeney (lofted to right sideline) he was confident and put it right on the money. 

Thumbs up for Dabol and McD.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

8.  Our pass rush looked better tonight.  Nice to see Murphy get in the box score.  It will be fun that first game they put Hughes, Murphy, and Oliver on the field at the same time and turn them lose.  

Panther's announcer said Hughes sacked the QB "and oh, Murphy got there too." Hughes was nowhere near the QB /SMH.
Oliver being double teamed and batting down a pass was nice to see. Rookie has game.

Sweeney's catch, ground fumble and re-catch showed a lot of focus.

I like when it looked like Shady scored on his 1st attempt the offense just shrugged it off, gave him the ball again and he went in virtually untouched.
Pinch me - I know it is only preseason...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Panther's announcer said Hughes sacked the QB "and oh, Murphy got there too." Hughes was nowhere near the QB /SMH.
Oliver being double teamed and batting down a pass was nice to see. Rookie has game.

Sweeney's catch, ground fumble and re-catch showed a lot of focus.

I like when it looked like Shady scored on his 1st attempt the offense just shrugged it off, gave him the ball again and he went in virtually untouched.
Pinch me - I know it is only preseason...

He was down anyway but yes, good focus.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont think its the scheme.  Hausch Money looks to have lost power in his kicking leg. 

Dont feel confident in the guy at all right now.

Bills need to stop playing musical holders with bad punters. Assign the task to Barkley and be done with it. It’s critical and they’re being stupid with it, imo. As for Hauschka, Norwood got old. Christy got old. Hausch is old. It happens. McLaughlin is kicking the snot out of the ball. He doesn’t seem bothered by weak punters taking turns misplaying the holds. Unlike the starter, he’s hit on every try and booms KO’s into Niagara County. The brass love Hausch$$,  but the time has come. Will they be brave enough?

https://bufbills.com/player-bios/18_chase_mclaughlin.pdf

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

My biggest observation is that this offense is becoming a passing offense (finally). Lots of throwing and I love it. 

Yeah, passing is all the trend these days. BUT, this is WNY. Nevermind blizzards, the winds in the semi-underground New Era Field can make grown QBs cry. Allen has the cannon necessary to slice through it, but receivers have to be able to catch them with freezing, gloved hands on short hard throws. Not Zay or Robert’s forte..

jmo’s

Edit: btw, great thread!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

Is haushka the issue or whichever Cory is holding?

I started looking at the holders on his kicks and saw that Carter was holding for the one he made and missed and then stopped looking.