10 observations Bills v. Panthers

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

You don't remember him because he did nothing.

On the first longer Sweeney pass he ran a fly pattern and cleared out the zone. Sweeney was wide open underneath. The play wasnt because of him but guys with speed like that cause defenses to react. They dont do that with Zay Jones.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Nah I usually pay attention to who’s split out and stuff even if they don’t get targeted, must be preseason for me too haha

I mean, I'd be surprised if Zay and Foster even needed a shower after the game... and the punchline is, the offense MOVED when they were on the field. Are they decoys now? Who the hell knows? But Allen is making a concerted effort to use the slot, tight ends and RB's in the passing game this preseason.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I agree with this very good observation.  I was there at the game and was privy to seeing the FG attempt he missed from a side view.  His ball no longer penetrates.  It's like he's punching at the ball instead of kicking through it.  His leg looks weak at this point.  

Don't know why but I'm just not worried about Hauschka. He's a pro and IIRC hasn't cost us a game with a miss since he's been here.

Wade is very intriguing. Like to see him play against the starting opposing defenses to get a better feel. He's got great balance and runs like his hair is on fire. 

Josh has really taken his intermediate game seriously and it shows. Sweeney and Beasley will see a lot of targets with Brown and Foster keeping the safeties honest.

Singletary has surprisingly good hands for someone who didn't receive much in college.     

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Maybe  they shop Zay Jones?  John Brown and Robert Foster are speedsters and somewhat alike in skillset  Beasley is the slot have to think McKenzie comes closest to his skillset Is there a drop off to keeping Duke Williams over Zay?

Zay is the only one they could get anything for, even if it is a 4th or 5th rounder. I'm not a Zay fan, so I would love to keep Brown, Beasley, Foster, Roberts, McKenzie and Duke. I very much doubt they do it but I'm not sold on Zay at all. I think the Josh Reed comparisons have some merit.

• Like (+1) 5

43 minutes ago, Virgil said:

In a preseason game on offense, I look for a QB to march down the field smoothly and take what the defense gives them, as they show a very vanilla scheme.  I saw that tonight from Josh and was happy to see it.  His first two throws were catchable, but off the mark. After that, he was solid.  

Oliver was double teamed every play and I was hoping. That would lead to more pressure as Hughes and Murphy got single coverage and was disappointed.  We only got pressure when we sent 5. 

McKenzie had the play of the night for me on that screen pass.  To have the patience for his blockers to catch up and let the play develop in front of him was beautiful.  

WR cuts are going to be very hard and I don’t envy the coaching staff.  

I see us running with 2 QB’s this year. 

I too am slightly concerned with Hausch-money

After today's game, WRs will be  Jones, Brown, Foster, Beasley, McKenzie, Roberts.   Unless they trade Jones and in which case it will be that they will carry 5 TEs or 5 RBs.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no way I want Morse to play till week 1.  Cut Tyree tomorrow and get a 3rd qb in camp asap. McD has to have a plan B in case Hauschka struggles. The wr selection will be brutal. Wade has to make this team somehow.

I think House Money will be fine but it's not a lock. The Panthers backup K was insane. His leg was like Josh's arm. 57 yarder he didnt even look like he put most of his leg into it. He was killing the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Good to see Duke take advantage of the opportunity.  Bills don't have anyone who provides size and physicality.  

If it's between him and Ray Ray, Duke should win out

• Like (+1) 3

So what's up with Foster? Honest question I seriously don't know, was he hurt or just invisible? There's a lot of talk about Zay right now but I thought Foster was potentially the one on the outside looking in after last week, which definitely doesn't change now. McKenzie is a keeper, and I'd love to see Duke make this team.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GG said:

Good to see Duke take advantage of the opportunity.  Bills don't have anyone who provides size and physicality.  

If it's between him and Ray Ray, Duke should win out

The harder question is McKenzie. If they keep six, it's Cole, Brown, Foster, Zay, Roberts and one of McKenzie, Ray Ray and Duke. I think McKenzie has passed Ray Ray. But I want Duke to make it, too.

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

So what's up with Foster? Honest question I seriously don't know, was he hurt or just invisible? There's a lot of talk about Zay right now but I thought Foster was potentially the one on the outside looking in after last week, which definitely doesn't change now. McKenzie is a keeper, and I'd love to see Duke make this team.

He only played a few snaps more because he is safe than he is in trouble. They still like him.

McKenzie has to make it in case Beasley doesn't last.

Stanford, Neal helped themselves. Denzel Rice helped himself. Yeldon and Wade helped themselves. Shaq Lawson was noticeable in a good way, despite the BS penalty. All the punt returners helped themselves. There was so much more good than bad I'm reticent to point out one and forget the other.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He only played a few snaps more because he is safe than he is in trouble. They still like him.

Ah ok thanks. I'm sure they love him, he's just starting to look expendable to me. I wouldn't think he's a natural lock to make it with all of this talent behind him but maybe he is that safe.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no way I want Morse to play till week 1.  Cut Tyree tomorrow and get a 3rd qb in camp asap. McD has to have a plan B in case Hauschka struggles. The wr selection will be brutal. Wade has to make this team somehow.

Right on, with regards to Jackson...I hated that the Bills signed him...I just never thought he was an NFL talent and I think they are wasting their time, when they could be grooming a real QB to take over for Barkley some day.

• Like (+1) 1

I am, admittedly, a homer-esque Josh Allen supporter.

I think the early incompletion to McCoy was a bad pass; not a drop.  I also think the completion to Beasley shortly before that was also a bad pass, but Beasley went down and got it.

Otherwise, I was very impressed with Allen's pocket awareness.  When he took the sack, he knew someone was on him, but couldn't get far enough away to avoid the sack.

The other time he took off running for a short gain also showed that he felt the presence and reacted accordingly.

I liked how they established very early that Beasley was the obvious target on 3rd and short plays.  Eventually, it opened up a nice pass to Sweeney for a nice gain and a first down.

Allen was decisive and didn't force the ball downfield ... both excellent signs of significant growth.

All in all, I really liked what the offense showed; especially Josh Allen.  The two underthrows early in the first quarter could have been jitters; who knows?  But he became more comfortable as the time passed and I was really impressed with his overall performance.

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I wonder if maybe he is still getting used to a new holder? I don't know, he was money last season though. I believe he has a new holder this time if I'm not mistaken. Just a thought.

I believe this is an issue. The kicks have seemed off since they first switched holders last season. That was before the injury. They still don’t have a decent punter, and the chemistry seems off on the holds. I’d start getting Barkley some work as a holder and get this thing rectified. Then find a better punter as well. I know some want to attribute it to the injury, but things were off before that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I believe this is an issue. The kicks have seemed off since they first switched holders last season. That was before the injury. They still don’t have a decent punter, and the chemistry seems off on the holds. I’d start getting Barkley some work as a holder and get this thing rectified. Then find a better punter as well. I know some want to attribute it to the injury, but things were off before that. 

That's a good point. They should make Barkley the holder.

• Like (+1) 2