10 observations Bills v. Panthers

1.  Allen looked good on the short to mid range throws that have been his bugaboo.  Nice to see some improvement there.  He went 9-11 with his two incompletes a throw away and a drop. Don't know if he could have given a better performance tonight.  

2.  Cole Beasley is going to be my late round Fantasy Football league steal at wide receiver.  He is going undrafted in most leagues.  Expect to see a lot of the Josh and Cole Show this season and a completion rate for Allen north of 60% as a result.  Having a real slot receiving threat adds an element to our offense that was completely missing last season.  Daboll is going to have fun playing with his new toy.

3.  This defense is for real.  I don't want to hear about it's just preseason or Cam didn't play or Luck didn't play.  This unit is going to ball all year and take a lot of pressure off the offense.  Isn't that what they call "complimentary football"?  The Bills D just shut down the Panthers tonight.  

4.  I don't know who the hell McBeane cuts.  Do we keep an extra O-lineman or a WR or a LB or a DE.  What a fantastic problem to have.  This roster from top to bottom is a competitive NFL quality roster.  We are going to cut more than a few good players to get to 53.  Kudos to Beane, its the kind of problem that good franchises have.

5.  Glad to see the Duke getting his hands on the ball.  This one is an extension of #4 above.  Without an injury, does he have a path onto the final 53?  No one else is high pointing balls in the end zone.  Which WR do you cut to make room for him?  Can he do enough in the next two preseason games to really make a run at the roster?  It's going to be fun to watch.  McKenzie has really come on too.  All around solid performance from the wide receiver room tonight.

6.  Christian Wade.  There is no reason I should get so excited about this guy, but I can't help it.  When he gets the ball he runs like there is a velociraptor chasing him.  The guy is a beast.  What do you do with him?  Don't know how this International Program works.  I hope we can stash him on the practice squad.   

7.  Our kicking game looks like trash and it is something that will cost this team games unless we can get it figured out.  Fast.  How many games last year did the Chargers lose off the foot of their field goal kicker?  We have a double whammy when you look at our punters.  Right now it looks like our kicking game is the biggest weakness on our team and it may end up being a huge liability.

8.  Our pass rush looked better tonight.  Nice to see Murphy get in the box score.  It will be fun that first game they put Hughes, Murphy, and Oliver on the field at the same time and turn them lose.  

9.  Mitch Morse still riding the pine.  Not a good situation for the Bills O-Line to have our starting center out of the lineup.  We need to get him back into the saddle asap.  Feliciano can fill in but he doesn't bring what Morse does.  At this point I doubt he sees a single preseason snap.  I think the best we can hope for now is a Week 1 return.

10.  Most importantly, we survived another pre season game without a significant injury.  Prayers out to Cam Lewis for a speedy recovery.  Hopefully we can stay lucky on the injury front.  To win in this league you need a little bit of skill and a little bit of luck.  Let's hope the luck continues to hold.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 28
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

7.  Our kicking game looks like trash and it is something that will cost this team games unless we can get it figured out.  Fast.  How many games last year did the Chargers lose off the foot of their field goal kicker?  We have a double whammy when you look at our punters.  Right now it looks like our kicking game is the biggest weakness on our team and it may end up being a huge liability.

Punting is not good.  Maybe start looking at the possible cuts and get ready to snag one for the PS if needed and keep him working.

It sucks using a PS spot but you really can't trust the 2 we got right now.

Not as worried about Hausch.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Is Haushka really struggling?  This is the first I heard of this and am a bit surprised. 

Aside from Tyree Jackson trying to throw the ball, the ugliest part of that game was our punting and kicking. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Aside from Tyree Jackson trying to throw the ball, the ugliest part of that game was our punting and kicking. 

Wow.  And to think we just hired a new SpT coordinator.  

Pre season or not , Allen looked decisive, comfortable and confident. Traits that will carry over to the season. With these touch throws and more check downs , he's going to be damn near unstoppable. 

Can see Alot of games like week 17 , 5 total TD . He's a stud

We're down our top THREE TE for example and you'd never know given how good Sweeney looks. We're a deeeep , talented team.  

Defense is going to be dominant with a potentially very good offense = Success. 

Can't wait to see the Jets week 1

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

1.  Allen looked good on the short to mid range throws that have been his bugaboo.  Nice to see some improvement there.  He went 9-11 with his two incompletes a throw away and a drop. Don't know if he could have given a better performance tonight.  

2.  Cole Beasley is going to be my late round Fantasy Football league steal at wide receiver.  He is going undrafted in most leagues.  Expect to see a lot of the Josh and Cole Show this season and a completion rate for Allen north of 60% as a result.  Having a real slot receiving threat adds an element to our offense that was completely missing last season.  Daboll is going to have fun playing with his new toy.

3.  This defense is for real.  I don't want to hear about it just preseason or Cam didn't play or Luck didn't play.  This unit is going to ball all year and take a lot of pressure off the offense.  Isn't that what they call "complimentary football"?  The Bills D just shut down the Panthers tonight.  

4.  I don't know who the hell McBeane cuts.  Do we keep an extra O-lineman or a WR or a LB or a DE.  What a fantastic problem to have.  This roster from top to bottom is a competitive NFL quality roster.  We are going to cut more than a few good players to get to 53.  Kudos to Beane, its the kind of problem that good franchises have.

5.  Glad to see the Duke getting his hands on the ball.  This one is an extension of #4 above.  Without an injury, does he have a path onto the final 53?  No one else is high pointing balls in the end zone.  Which WR do you cut to make room for him?  Can he do enough in the next two preseason games to really make a run at the roster?  It's going to be fun to watch.  McKenzie has really come on too.  All around solid performance from the wide receiver room tonight.

6.  Christian Wade.  There is no reason I should get so excited about this guy, but I can't help it.  When he gets the ball he runs like there is a velociraptor chasing him.  The guy is a beast.  What do you do with him?  Don't know how this International Program works.  I hope we can stash him on the practice squad.   

8.  Our pass rush looked better tonight.  Nice to see Murphy get in the box score.  It will be fun that first game they put Hughes, Murphy, and Oliver on the field at the same time and turn them lose.  

9.  Mitch Morse still riding the pine.  Not a good situation for the Bills O-ine to have our starting center out of the lineup.  We need to get him back into the saddle asap.  Feliciano can fill in but he doesn't bring what Morse does.  At this point I doubt he sees a single preseason snap.  I think the best we can hope for now is a Week 1 return.

10.  Maybe most importantly, we survived another pre season game without a significant injury.  Prayers out to Cam Lewis for a speedy recovery.  Hopefully we can stay lucky on the injury front.  To win in this league you need a little bit of skill and a little bit of luck.  Let's hope the luck continues to hold.

I wonder if maybe he is still getting used to a new holder? I don't know, he was money last season though. I believe he has a new holder this time if I'm not mistaken. Just a thought.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

19 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Beasley is going to be a steal in a PPR league

Trouble is I have 3 other Bills fans in my league.