They Might...Just Might, Be Really Good

theRalph

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Well he wouldn’t be keeping it up without good throws from Allen would he?

Or really good OLine play. 

I didnt get to see every play as I was busy. But the highlights I watched, made it look like Allen had all the time in the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Honest question to all saying preseason doesn't matter, for say the last 19 years have the bills ever looked good in preseason? Or has it always been average to below average?

Because id say for once the bills look good and I have no clue what it means

The Bills, when they were in the SB every year had pretty poor W-L preseason records. A 1-3 record was about par for the course. I think that was more a function of Marv's Club Med training camp and preseason. There was so much pure starting talent on those teams that those players got very little ps playing time and Marv and crew were basically interviewing for the last 5 spots in the majority of the ps games.

Today it appears like the Bills have emerging talent like the Kelly era. The starters may not be quite as good yet but the depth is phenomenal. Allen has the chance to be Kelly with a bigger arm. While no one running back on the roster is as good as Thurman, that's a deep and talented group on our roster. The OL has at least 10 average or above average players and the WR group is causing consternation as to who will be cut. On defense, the DL line is certainly above average with the potential to be top 5. The secondary is as deep a secondary as there is in the NFL while the LB's have 2 guys that could be pro bowl players.

I've never been a Pollyanna but this team has been built to compete and overcome the injuries that are sure to come. I'm feeling that it's like 1989 again, with the only difference that today I'm completely capable of turning a triple into a real close double.

• Like (+1) 3

The good I'm seeing is more than just flashes like the past. I see depth. I see see direction. Im confident that even if JA falters, this team is finally made up of adults who at 6 and 10 or 10 and 6 will compete and look like a quality club. That helps sell me not just on the season, but on the next 5 years or so. I feel really good right now, and I'm an expert on reading too much into preseason, but this is different. From top to bottom this is the best Buffalo roster since 1999. Print it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just seems like the entire team (including coaching) has improved and is going to make significant improvement this season.  Again, it really all hinges on Allen but he looks like an improved player and seeing accuracy from him are good signs so far.  Worst case 8-8 best probably 11-5.  Realistic 9-7 or 10-6.  The difference in a few more wins will come down to just a few plays on the season in all likelihood.  Could go either way for best case.  There is reason to have optimism!

Go Bills!!

Edited by BuffaloButt

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Or really good OLine play. 

I didnt get to see every play as I was busy. But the highlights I watched, made it look like Allen had all the time in the world. 

Allen actually was getting pressured quite a bit 

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If Allen's play carries over to the regular season they will win10 or 11 games

..."Allen" and "carries" in the same sentence is the part that makes me nervous....needs to be more selective regarding when or if versus last year IMO.............

My optimism doesn’t stem from a preseason win. It stems from how the offense and defense looked. 

The offense was crisp. Everyone was on the same page. The pocket was, for the most part, clean. The routes were precise. Allen got the ball out quickly and accurately. 

The defense applied pressure. Coverage was tight. They are SO FREAKING FAST. They were able to impose their will on the Panthers. 

That at is what I liked. They weren’t a dumpster fire. They looked like a good football team. 

• Like (+1) 3

Isnt that kind of how it happens tho? One year the team just finally busts out and is really good? 

13 minutes ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

My optimism doesn’t stem from a preseason win. It stems from how the offense and defense looked. 

The offense was crisp. Everyone was on the same page. The pocket was, for the most part, clean. The routes were precise. Allen got the ball out quickly and accurately. 

The defense applied pressure. Coverage was tight. They are SO FREAKING FAST. They were able to impose their will on the Panthers. 

That at is what I liked. They weren’t a dumpster fire. They looked like a good football team. 

In both games it looked like if the starters kept playing they could have played for a week straight and the other team would have never gotten the lead...thats what is impressive to me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yes the Peyton Manning of third string vs unschemed vanilla defenses in games that don’t count. 

It’s just so weird that other QB’s obviously better than him in reg season can’t duplicate his preseason form against the same unschemed vanilla defenses.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Well, since they had a top 3 defense last year, that would be a bit disappointing...

According to ESPN we were 2nd in yards allowed per game but we were also the 18th ranked scoring defense. We just couldn't keep teams from scoring once they got in the red zone. Is that going to change this year? We're still a little small up front but I bet we're much better. Year 2/3 in the McD system for a lot of our starters.