They Might...Just Might, Be Really Good

theRalph

4 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Honest question to all saying preseason doesn't matter, for say the last 19 years have the bills ever looked good in preseason? Or has it always been average to below average?

Because id say for once the bills look good and I have no clue what it means

Maybe a game they looked good, but consistently through multiple games not that I remember. I remember Trent Edwards and the D carving up the Steelers in a week 3 preseason game that was supposed to be a dress rehearsal.

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

Did the Browns not go 4-0 in preseason once to end up 0-16 in regular season?  Or am I grossly miss remembering something?

There are different ways to go 4-0.  We were well into our 3rd string in the 2nd quarter and still rag dolling the Panthers (who admittedly were missing several key players)

and FTR if they can win the 4th game with a whole game of Tyree Jackson at QB then their depth on defense and running back is insane because he stinks on ice.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 2

I think we finally have nfl talent and depth all over  We havent faced a quality  nfl starter yet and I too am underwhelmed by the push upfront But Allen looks calm and cool and Beasley looks like a difference maker.  I'm a little concerned at rb  but then again we could be a mostly passing offense if the O line continues to hold up

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

There are different ways to go 4-0.  We were well into our 3rd string in the 2nd quarter and still rag dolling the Panthers (who admittedly were missing several key players)

Bingo!  I bet when you look back at those 4 - 0 pre-season teams that went 0 - 16 they played to win their pre-season games and kept their starters & back-ups in longer.  Those teams knew they sucked and used pre-season wins to drive ticket sales.

What I've observed through 2 pre-season games so far is a team that is working on stuff, evaluating players and still managing to win the game.  This indicates talent & depth.  Something I've not seen for the last 20 years.

• Like (+1) 2

Lots of depth... good quality players at all levels except maybe TE.  TE we are ok but not after the first or second string.

One thing to take away from this is Carolina was not ready.  lots of penalties... hands to the face and holding biggest among the errors they committed.  Not a disciplined team.

Edited by bdutton

Yeah, Buffalo is looking good.  Waiting to see how the injury to McGhin turns out.  He doesn't figure into the Bills' plans this season, but I think he's got the potential to want to stick him on the PS.  

Players at the bottom of the roster struggled, but not many of them will see the field in the regular season when it counts.  Maybe a player here and there, but not en masse.  Tyree Jackson is clearly not ready for the NFL.  Buffalo could keep him on the PS just for his athleticism and size, but if Josh Allen misses more than a game, Buffalo will look for a street free agent as insurance against Matt Barkley getting hurt.

If Christian Wade keeps playing the way he has, McDermott may be forced to figure out a way to get him on the active roster.

27 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Just got home from the game about 20 minutes ago, wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts were. I’ll tell ya what. I don’t know how it looked on TV, but we looked REALLY good tonight. Absolutely dominated the panthers in all three phases. DB’s in particular looked really good in person. All of the Panthers fans around us were stunned at how good the Bills looked. I even heard a “I thought the Bills sucked?” From one pissed off fan.

So so pumped for 2019.

And by the way. Teams better find a way to stop Cole Beasley. He is going to be a MONSTER for us this year

Yeah but when they manage to find a way to stop Beasley Brown might get open deep.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo!  I bet when you look back at those 4 - 0 pre-season teams that went 0 - 16 they played to win their pre-season games and kept their starters & back-ups in longer.  Those teams knew they sucked and used pre-season wins to drive ticket sales.

What I've observed through 2 pre-season games so far is a team that is working on stuff, evaluating players and still managing to win the game.  This indicates talent & depth.  Something I've not seen for the last 20 years.

I think something that's important is that they were dominant early in the game with the 1st and 2nd teams it doesn't matter quite as much if your 3s and 4s are putting up points if your 1s and 2s aren't.

• Like (+1) 1

I can't believe anyone is still stupid enough to make judgments off this crap. They can only play who is put in front of them, and they have succeeded at that, which is great. I'm not holding that against them, they performed, and maybe they'd perform well against better talent.

But it has just been two piles of ***** put in front of them.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I can't believe anyone is still stupid enough to make judgments off this crap. They can only play who is put in front of them, and they have succeeded at that, which is great. I'm not holding that against them, they performed, and maybe they'd perform well against better talent.

Lol, a little over animated a bit here?  I mean everyone gets its preseason, not sure why people always have to come in and flip out when people are enjoying seeing some positive signs out of the team.  No one is fooling themselves as if this is a perfect test of their potential, but calm down as its ok to also be optimistic based off of encouraging signs.  

I mean its a helluva a lot better than looking bad out there lol

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Maybe a game they looked good, but consistently through multiple games not that I remember. I remember Trent Edwards and the D carving up the Steelers in a week 3 preseason game that was supposed to be a dress rehearsal.

Now that is a memory, thought Edwards was the real deal after that game.

But right now with them now looking solid in back to back weeks I feel like Ricky Bobby in Talladega nights not knowing what to do with my hands in an interview

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, a little over animated a bit here?  I mean everyone gets its preseason, not sure why people always have to come in and flip out when people are enjoying seeing some positive signs out of the team.  No one is fooling themselves as if this is a perfect test of their potential, but calm down as its ok to also be optimistic based off of encouraging signs.  

I mean its a helluva a lot better than looking bad out there lol

I wouldn't really say I wqs animated, but any semblance of realism has been met hy crap like this in this thread so it's par for the course.

Preseason doesn't mean anything to me, sorry.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So, if a QB is missing wide-open receivers by a good deal, regardless of "scheme" that wouldn't worry you?  If a defense, regardless of "scheme", was getting gashed for 10+ yard runs routinely, that wouldn't worry you?  If the team just appeared slow, out of sync, and out of position, that would't bother you?

We all know that pre-season "doesn't mean anything"...but there ARE elements of pre-season that mean quite a bit...so much so that players get cut base on pre-season play.  Yes, a team's pre-season win-loss record doesn't seem to have a correlation to win-loss record in the regular season, but this Bills team does seem to be deeper and more talented than recent years.  Maybe just enjoy it? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Damn...calm down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zevo said:

For ***** sakes people...enjoy a real nfl qb for once...my god...it’s ok to be optimistic 

Many cannot accept that fact.  They are too broken from the past and can't look forward.

Allen plays good in a preseason game.................don't mean nothing.

Allen plays bad in a preseason game................see i told you he sucks.

Let them have their fun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm a believer that very little in preseason means anything, and for various different reasons.

BUT... there are certain things in preseason that can be extrapolated to the regular season. One of them is Josh Allen throwing accurate short pass darts. That is going to be the same in the regular season because he has a cannon for an arm, and Cole Beasley has already shown that he can get open and make catches in real NFL games. If Matt Barkley makes a short completion or a longer one it doesnt at all mean he can do it in the regular season because he has a weak arm, and the throws he makes may indeed be different when the game is full speed. Yes, he had a good game against the Jets, but his arm is still a huge liability and it's the same one in his failed attempts in Philly and Chicago.

Christian Wade may not break those tackles against starters but the catch, balance, acceleration and speed works against first stringers, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1