Ruben Brown on Mitch Morse: “It Might Be It For Him” & Carwell Gardner is “Severely Suffering”

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I said Morse was overpaid at the time.

I hated Ivory signing and posted at the time.

I hated the Dareus trade.

I hated Murphy signing

I was quite ok with Star and the trade for KB. 

As for the most recent moves, I like the WR signings and I like Spaine. I’m not sold on Long and Nsekhe. I think both are average to below average but serviceable players. Ford probably wins RT spot.  And if Morse was healthy, Long would be in a dogfight for a roster spot with Teller.  

At this point I think Beane gets an undecided grade. For every good move there have been bad.

But every word I just typed is meaningless, because it is all about Allen. McD and Beane are gone if Allen is a bust.

So essentially, Ethan in Portland predicted everything ????????

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

This is the only thing you have left. It's not even an argument.

It's pure speculation based on absolutely nothing.

It’s not speculation.  It’s a relevant question.

Also I hardly think that you won this argument.  You lost a lot of points when you lauded Tyrod as a great choice for QB

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Lots wrong here.  Dareus hasn't been an All-Pro/top 100 since the year before he signed his huge extension.  McCarron (who netted a 5th rounder, which they used to get Ford) and Davis took up $4.2M ($2.2M apiece) in cap space.  Ivory took up $2.4M in cap space and his poor production was a factor of the OL.  And Murphy took up $4.9M in cap room.

Except when you look at real dollars and then you are incorrect, but fight it anyway you want.. 

Dareues WAS an All Pro, which is why he was signed to a big time deal.  Thats one a blind man can see. 

Chris Ivory hadn't been productive in years and they hand him 3m+ in guaranteed money, Murphy was hurt and took home 7m in his first season, Mccarron cost 2.1m for training camp, then got traded leaving zero experience in the qb room, STUPID and it burned them.  Davis was signed to a 5M deal, only collected 2.1m, you got me on that one.

Climb on the Beane pole all you want, he sucked last year.

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

20/20 foresight is so much more impressive than 20/20 hindsight. Can you please link us to all your posts objecting to the above signings WHEN THEY OCCURRED? 

We’ll wait. 

I did call a lot of it foolish when they were signed.  I'm not going digging back through BBMB and the Range to find them, because I dont have anything to prove to you.  My job is not knowing pro personnel and I didn't  blow it, but Beane had a horrible reault in FA last year and you seem far more interested in ignorning that.

For the record, I said they over paid by a lot for Ivory wjen he signed.  I didn't like and still dont like the Murphy signing and thought Davis might be a decent stop gap.  I wasn't one that hated the Darius trade, was a little surprised how the run D was after him leaving.  Star was a signing I initially liked, when it was first reported as a 5 year 25M dollar deal, once it came out they paid almost as much as Dareus, I said then it was a horrible deal.

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I did call a lot of it foolish when they were signed.  I'm not going digging back through BBMB and the Range to find them, because I dont have anything to prove to you.  My job is not knowing pro personnel and I didn't  blow it, but Beane had a horrible reault in FA last year and you seem far more interested in ignorning that.

For the record, I said they over paid by a lot for Ivory wjen he signed.  I didn't like and still dont like the Murphy signing and thought Davis might be a decent stop gap.  I wasn't one that hated the Darius trade, was a little surprised how the run D was after him leaving.  Star was a signing I initially liked, when it was first reported as a 5 year 25M dollar deal, once it came out they paid almost as much as Dareus, I said then it was a horrible deal.

??‍♂️

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I agree if its a retirement, especially if it is a medical retirement. There should be some offsets that don't punish the team.

And when players medically retire they should not be able to come back.  Otherwise it will be used like players holding out and when player comes back team does not have cap room and they get released.  Agents have enough bogus tools to use.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Except when you look at real dollars and then you are incorrect, but fight it anyway you want.. 

Dareues WAS an All Pro, which is why he was signed to a big time deal.  Thats one a blind man can see. 

Chris Ivory hadn't been productive in years and they hand him 3m+ in guaranteed money, Murphy was hurt and took home 7m in his first season, Mccarron cost 2.1m for training camp, then got traded leaving zero experience in the qb room, STUPID and it burned them.  Davis was signed to a 5M deal, only collected 2.1m, you got me on that one.

Climb on the Beane pole all you want, he sucked last year.

I fought the way you set it up.  You said cap space, not real dollars. 

Yes Dareus was an All-Pro...5 seasons ago.  He's mailed-it-in since then.  The new coaching staff game him plenty of time to get his act together and he didn't.

McCarron wasn't interested in mentoring Josh, which is why they shipped him out.  I won't disagree that they had a poor plan in place for mentoring Josh but they eventually fixed that.  And I also won't disagree that Ivory was no great shakes but it wasn't a difference-maker.

And Beane cleaned-up the cap.  Was he perfect?  No, no one is.

8 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Doug Whaley/Nix built a REALLY good roster... with the exception of a quarterback. They don't deserve the hate they get here for that... maybe for Rex, but many people loved that move then too.

It's been said that every GM/Couch will be judged by their choice of quarterback, no matter how well he does everywhere else. I guess it's true.

Totally agree with you re: Nix and Whaley.  But Rex was not brought here by either of them.  That was all Terry and/or Kim.  The worse mistake this franchise has seen since Ralph got rid of Wade Phillips.  Thankfully, it seems they are quick learners.

• Like (+1) 1

I didnt read whole thread so pardon me if this has been discussed a bit. I'm not an authority at all or doctor, but it seems to me the first two of the concussions were four years ago. Then he went two full years without one. Then he had one, and now this is less than a year later. Surely a cause for concern. But the two years from the first two "likely" means something, versus having four within 2-3 years. I understand they are cumulative. I would bet that he has had some not registered. But one could also argue he has had two in four years. The real issue is, of course, it didnt seem to come from one huge nasty hit. That is the most worrisome of all.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Totally agree with you re: Nix and Whaley.  But Rex was not brought here by either of them.  That was all Terry and/or Kim.  The worse mistake this franchise has seen since Ralph got rid of Wade Phillips.  Thankfully, it seems they are quick learners.

I don’t agree.   I think there’s a difference between actually building a team and just signing talent.  It seemed like Nix and Whaley had no plan or strategy.  They were just trying to load up every year without any plan.  Teams have done this in the NFL for years and it doesn’t usually work.  

Its almost similar to the situation on Cleveland with Sashi Brown who found some good players on his roster but again, had no idea how to build a team.  

Anyone who praises the work of these two is either biased or just isn’t familiar with how successful GM’s have turned around losing franchises.  

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I fought the way you set it up.  You said cap space, not real dollars. 

Yes Dareus was an All-Pro...5 seasons ago.  He's mailed-it-in since then.  The new coaching staff game him plenty of time to get his act together and he didn't.

McCarron wasn't interested in mentoring Josh, which is why they shipped him out.  I won't disagree that they had a poor plan in place for mentoring Josh but they eventually fixed that.  And I also won't disagree that Ivory was no great shakes but it wasn't a difference-maker.

And Beane cleaned-up the cap.  Was he perfect?  No, no one is.

Well said.  Anyone who laments Doug Whaley as GM, has no idea who the role is about.

15 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Everyone should go read or listen to the interview WGR did with Morse.  He talks about how he went to a clinic in Michigan during the off season for some extensive testing and he passed everything.  So given that it’s certainly worth signing him.  

Everyone should read the comments by McD about Lotuleili and how he does what McD needs for his D.

Beane is not immune to criticism.  He messed up not bringing in Anderson in earlier last year.  And he admitted such.  Trading picks for Benjamin and Coleman were’t Good moves.  But on the whole he’s doing pretty well.

Not great PR for that clinic since he immediately got another concussion on the first day of contact.

17 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Am I horrible that the first thing I thought after reading this is how our cap space is affected if Morse retires?

No, lots of us will die with far less money than Mitch Morse and probably have worse things happen to use than concussions or CTE. It’s life. We are fans of the team, don’t need to feel guilt over that. 

We don’t even know what his mindset was when he inked that deal. Does any believe he earned Beane, one more concussion and I’m hanging it up? Heck no. He protected himself and his future while maximizing his value. 

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

But every word I just typed is meaningless, because it is all about Allen. McD and Beane are gone if Allen is a bust.

Horrible way to run a franchise and exactly what keeps the Bills being the Bills. YOu have to let first-time coaches and GMs learn and grow.

Look at the Ravens and Ozzie Newsome.

Newsome, who is regarded as one of the best GMs from the 2000s, whiffed HARD on his first QB choice of Kyle Boller. He wasnt fired for it. He was allowed to stay and figure it out and learn and grow. Brought in McNair to hold them over, them ended up with Flacco. And while Flacco may not be the GOAT, he did WIN A SUPER BOWL. And a lot of that was due to continuity in the FO and coaching so they didnt have to rebuild the entire talented roster. They could just take a second swing at QB.

The idea that you clean house because of one miss on a QB is incredibly short-sighted and a horrible way to run a team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1