Ruben Brown on Mitch Morse: “It Might Be It For Him” & Carwell Gardner is “Severely Suffering”

FWIW

NEW YORK – The NFL announced that reported player concussions in the 2018 regular season were down 29 percent from the previous year. The league said there were 135 documented concussions in that span, down from 190. Including the preseason, concussions fell from 281 to 214, a 23.8 percent decrease.

The key word   

documented concussions

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

36 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Doug Whaley/Nix built a REALLY good roster... with the exception of a quarterback. They don't deserve the hate they get here for that... maybe for Rex, but many people loved that move then too.

It's been said that every GM/Couch will be judged by their choice of quarterback, no matter how well he does everywhere else. I guess it's true.

Whaley didn't do too bad in terms of building the roster, it was the contracts he dealt out that kinda ruined his tenure.

And if you hold up Beane's misses against his hits right now, you can see that he's hitting way more than missing. First, it's obvious that no GM is going to succeed on every single decision. Second, the chatter about Morse being paid (or any other FA) too much is weak. If you flip it around and the Bills *didn't* sign Morse, the same people complaining about his deal would be the first ones to call out Beane and the team for being "too cheap." I mean, people understand that the Bills are always gonna have to overpay a little bit for the FA's they really want, right? Although many players who come through here praise the fans and the game-day atmosphere, on paper, the Bills have been missing the playoffs, losing more than they win, all with a near-constant state of upheaval and turnover in the front office/coaching department for the last 20 seasons (save for one flukey playoff appearance). That's going to turn off most any player from wanting to come here. That's why the Bills always have to up the ante with the contract a bit. 

Same story year after year. Some fans are just always gonna find a way to gripe or think they're the only real genius of the Armchair GM Club. It's always, "They need to do this, and then that, and then this other thing!" *Team proceeds to do this, that, and the other thing.* Some fans: "No, no, no! Not like that! UGH! Fire Beane!"

Also - this wasn't directed at you, unbillevable, I was more responding to the quote from your original post.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm sure that's the intent, and just as sure they only provide very limited protection versus the older helmet designs.

Uhm, no.  No helmet is concussion proof but many of the newer one are FAR superior to the old ones.  Hockey helmets are getting better too.

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

If you flip it around and the Bills *didn't* sign Morse, the same people complaining about his deal would be the first ones to call out Beane and the team for being "too cheap."

THIS dude gets it. Wish we could hand out kudos points or something, because this is the most honest thing I've read on this board in YEARS.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

ON paper, Whaley built a really good team... which is what GM's are supposed to do. The couch is supposed to put it together.. the hire of which can be blamed on All parties involved.

The team wasn't in cap hell, they just spent to it.

I would not say it was a “good” team.  It was an average team and there was no plan or vision.  That’s what GM’s ARE NOT supposed to do.  That is where Buddy Nix and Whaley failed big time.  They had no vision and put together an average team who performed right around their talent level.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Am I horrible that the first thing I thought after reading this is how our cap space is affected if Morse retires?

You are not fitting the Canadian stereotype of politeness/niceness/concern for others well at all....

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FWIW

NEW YORK – The NFL announced that reported player concussions in the 2018 regular season were down 29 percent from the previous year. The league said there were 135 documented concussions in that span, down from 190. Including the preseason, concussions fell from 281 to 214, a 23.8 percent decrease.

The key word   

documented concussions

Ruben actually talks about documented concussions.  Says that there really is no way to tell that a player has been concussed.  This is why he said Morse needs to be careful, because if he’s prone to concussions he could very well have more than the 3 documented cases

20 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It is crazy to me that if a guy retires the team still has to eat the cap hit. I genuinely do not understand the justification for that. 

I agree if its a retirement, especially if it is a medical retirement. There should be some offsets that don't punish the team.

For the curious 

Contract Notes:

• $20.4M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary + 2019 roster bonus + $2M of 2020 salary)
  • 2019 Roster Bonus: $3M (paid 3/17/2019)
  • Additional $4.775M of 2020 salary fully guarantees on 5th league day of 2020 (injury guaranteed now)
  • $1.325M of 2021 salary guaranteed for injury
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $1M (5th league day of 2020)
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $1M (5th league day of 2022)
  • 2019 Per Game 46-Man Roster Bonus: $62,500 ($1M, 11 LTBE)
  • 2020 Per Game 46-Man Roster Bonus: $62,500 ($1M)
  • 2021 Per Game 46-Man Roster Bonus: $31,250 ($500,000)
  • 2022 Per Game 46-Man Roster Bonus: $31,250 ($500,000)
  • Workout Bonus: $100,000
  • Pro Bowl: $200,000

That looks as if an injury clause is in place

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

So because of the Barry Sanders rule we can use an arbiter to go after Mitch's signing bonus. He's going to make every effort to play. We might be jumping the gun on the retirement party. Hopefully we're just being overly cautious. Morse was diagnosed with concussion like symptoms not as having had a knock out event.  

20 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I would not say it was a “good” team.  It was an average team and there was no plan or vision.  That’s what GM’s ARE NOT supposed to do.  That is where Buddy Nix and Whaley failed big time.  They had no vision and put together an average team who performed right around their talent level.

That was NOT an average team.  Seriously, look at the roster. Find a glaring hole outside of Quarterback.

Whaley's team was loaded with talent. They under-performed, mostly because of Rex.

I remember some articles stating the Bills had built the most complete roster in the NFL... talent everywhere... if only they had found a QB (poor EJ).

I would compare Whaley's team to pre-Cousins Vikings, or the current Jaguars...

16 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I agree if its a retirement, especially if it is a medical retirement. There should be some offsets that don't punish the team.

The team can sue to get the signing bonus back, as well as the guaranteed money.

That's the reason why many players choose to NOT file retirement paperwork, and wait for the team to cut them, instead.

It's something they should put into contracts, but no player would agree to it, especially the medical guarantee.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Really hope that is not the case and Mitch Morse comes back fully healthy. 

I do feel a lot of people are sleeping on John Feliciano. If Morse has to miss time I think Feliciano could be a good replacement. This guys is Huge, smart, athletic, mean, and a mauler. Think he is a great signing for us. 

xbs4sg5mjccggzbsuywq.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He's definitely not done. I mean he's slowly progressing through the protocol , at this point I feel Bills are just being smart and cautious. They know he's an elite C and a professional. 

Highly doubtful he's not starting C in MetLife week 1. Hold him out all pre season. 

If this happens to Morse again, I hope he makes the right choice and practices acceptance. Often times, an athletes competitive nature and desire to play can override the reality of a serious injury. I hope that he can play and contribute safely.

Edited by Rocket94