Ruben Brown on Mitch Morse: “It Might Be It For Him” & Carwell Gardner is “Severely Suffering”

Ruben Brown was the guest on the Jerry Sullivan Show this morning.  Wow he is a smart and articulate player.  A very interesting interview, for sure.

Surprisingly, Ruben said that after 4 concussions Mitch Morse it’s a scary situation and “the bad news is, this might be it for him.”

He said that after the 4th concussion the NFL nothing to play around with and likened it to boxing where the more times you get knocked out, the easier it is for it to reoccur.  He said “after you’ve been knocked out for the 3rd or 4th time, you might want to consider doing something else.

He also said that Mitch probably had more than the 4 concussions that were documented and surprisingly in Ruben’s day they were not concerned with concussions.  He said to his knowledge he has zero concussion, which probably means he’s had thousands. 

When discussing physical ailments from

an NFL career Ruben brings up Carwell Gardner and says he is “severely suffering” and you can tell that Carwel has suffered some sort of trauma (might not just be concussions) from his physical, high impact blocking style.  He encouraged fans to reach out to him with well wishes.

It’s a good 20 minute interview and you can hear it below:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jerry-sullivan-show/id1442870374#episodeGuid=6349533

Edited by Phil The Thrill

The reality is that it might be. It feels like he is going to have one more go but if following this comeback he gets one more concussion this year I think he will walk away from the game. I hope it doesn't happen and sad for him and Buffalo if it does but at some point you have to put your long term health first.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The reality is that it might be. It feels like he is going to have one more go but if following this comeback he gets one more concussion this year I think he will walk away from the game. I hope it doesn't happen and sad for him and Buffalo if it does but at some point you have to put your long term health first.

It has to be a major disappointment for the Bills if that happens. I’m thinking that they’d still be on the hook for the huge guaranteed money for his contract

They had a major need at center, knew about Morse's concussion history, and still went forward with the contract.  (Cue someone to say Beane didn't know he'd get another concussion). 

People here talk about Beane's management of the cap and how he maneuvered the team into a solid position after Whaley.  Yet, he's the guy who signed players like Star to a bloated contract, gave a thrice concussed Morse a big contract, and traded for Benjamin who flamed out fast.  He may not be as bad as Dugout Doug 2013-2016, but he's showing signs his command of personnel and dollars isn't as great as advertised.

For McBeane's sake, they'd better be a 10 or more win team this year.  Because not doing so is going to shine a bigger spotlight onto the whiffs in free agency.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If Morse decides he's done, I hope he retires and not just stays on the injured list taking up a roster spot/cap money.

The worst thing to happen to the team would be another InCognito situation.

I know players would rather get cut than retire to keep the guaranteed cash, Morse would be a complete %$#@ to do it now, when he's never played for the Bills.

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It has to be a major disappointment for the Bills if that happens. I’m thinking that they’d still be on the hook for the huge guaranteed money for his contract

From a cap perspective yes - but from a cash perspective i think they have insurance for things like this.  Someone here probably knows more than I do.

20.4 was guaranteed.  He got about 11 of it this year.  If he were on IR this year, and retired next year we would be on the hook for the remainder of the signing bonus, and 2 mil of his 2020 salary that was guaranteed at signing.  Assuming they do it like they did with wood, they'll figure out if they want to eat it in 2020 or spread it through 2021.  At that size (9 million) we'd probably spread it over 2 years.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

They had a major need at center, knew about Morse's concussion history, and still went forward with the contract.  (Cue someone to say Beane didn't know he'd get another concussion). 

People here talk about Beane's management of the cap and how he maneuvered the team into a solid position after Whaley.  Yet, he's the guy who signed players like Star to a bloated contract, gave a thrice concussed Morse a big contract, and traded for Benjamin who flamed out fast.  He may not be as bad as Dugout Doug 2013-2016, but he's showing signs his command of personnel and dollars isn't as great as advertised.

For McBeane's sake, they'd better be a 10 or more win team this year.  Because not doing so is going to shine a bigger spotlight onto the whiffs in free agency.

Doug Whaley/Nix built a REALLY good roster... with the exception of a quarterback. They don't deserve the hate they get here for that... maybe for Rex, but many people loved that move then too.

It's been said that every GM/Couch will be judged by their choice of quarterback, no matter how well he does everywhere else. I guess it's true.

• Like (+1) 10

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

From a cap perspective yes - but from a cash perspective i think they have insurance for things like this.  Someone here probably knows more than I do.

20.4 was guaranteed.  He got about 11 of it this year.  If he were on IR this year, and retired next year we would be on the hook for the remainder of the signing bonus, and 2 mil of his 2020 salary that was guaranteed at signing.  Assuming they do it like they did with wood, they'll figure out if they want to eat it in 2020 or spread it through 2021.  At that size (9 million) we'd probably spread it over 2 years.  

What happens if the Bills cut Morse before the season begins? What's the cap hit then?

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

Doug Whaley/Nix built a REALLY good roster... with the exception of a quarterback. They don't deserve the hate they get here for that... maybe for Rex, but many people loved that move then too.

It's been said that every GM/Couch will be judged by their choice of quarterback, no matter how well he does everywhere else. I guess it's true.

So many vocal whaley guys on here.

His roster had a cap of 9 wins, and NO flexibility financially. It was a TERRIBLY built team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What happens if the Bills cut Morse before the season begins? What's the cap hit then?

20.4 million. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mitch-morse-16773/

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

They whiffed on QB quite hard.  Also traded 2 firsts for a wide receiver.  Traded a 4th for bryce brown.  The entire 2016 draft.  Not to mention whaley didn't get along with legit any head coach we brought in.  

Edited by dneveu

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

So many vocal whaley guys on here.

His roster had a cap of 9 wins, and NO flexibility financially. It was a TERRIBLY built team.

ON paper, Whaley built a really good team... which is what GM's are supposed to do. The couch is supposed to put it together.. the hire of which can be blamed on All parties involved.

The team wasn't in cap hell, they just spent to it.

• Like (+1) 3

Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm sure we all kinda wish we would've gone after Paradis instead, given what has happened with Morse.

Sure you could say: 'we had no way of knowing this would happen". But at the same time, Morse plays a position that is 1 of the more violent places to play. If someone has a history of concussions there, then theres a relatively decent sized risk that he could get more. The question had to be asked before we signed him: 'what if he gets another one?' I'd think Beane & company would've considered that. Did they just determine we'll deal with it IF it happens?

Regardless its bad for Morse, bad for us & our Bills. Hopefully he pulls thru but if he doesnt, I hope this is a learning experience for Beane & he won't go after players with this particular injury history in the future, at such a crucial position on the most physical part of the field.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

20.4 million. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mitch-morse-16773/

They whiffed on QB quite hard.  Also traded 2 firsts for a wide receiver.  Traded a 4th for bryce brown.  The entire 2016 draft.  Not to mention whaley didn't get along with legit any head coach we brought in.  

The quarterback whiff (at a time when there seemed to be a lack of good ones coming out) is what everyone focuses on under Whaley.

The trades for Watkins, brown, etc added to a loaded roster. There wasn't a need to add much more; especially late round picks.

Whaley's team had a lot of talent, everywhere. But his one mistake was not finding a quarterback... and that is all that mattered.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bunch of useless speculation. Completely silly to be guessing about Morse and his situation. He could go on and play another 10 years, or he could be done tomorrow. Nobody knows anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3