Demetrius Bell Story

I grew up in Eden, NY.  My father, a twenty-year-old just back from a two year stint in the army, knocked my mother up with me when she was just barely 15.  She was still about 40 days short of her 16th birthday when I was born.  Of course this was 1957-58 and a much different time.  My mother's adoptive parents, the people I grew up referring to as my grandmother and grandfather, were none to pleased either.  But in a small town, it was often just swept under the rug as my father wanted to marry my mother and did so.

Worse than this though, is my mother had 5 more children serially and had 6 children between the ages of newborn to 5 at the ripe old of age of 21.  She literally spent about 85% of her formative years pregnant.  My mother is a poster child for why young girls need to be protected and allowed to grow up before bearing children.  She is batcrap crazy, but she totally gets a pass from me on that.  BTW, they ended up with NINE!

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

I grew up in Eden, NY.  My father, a twenty-year-old just back from a two year stint in the army, knocked my mother up with me when she was just barely 15.  She was still about 40 days short of her 16th birthday when I was born.  Of course this was 1957-58 and a much different time.  My mother's adoptive parents, the people I grew up referring to as my grandmother and grandfather, were none to pleased either.  But in a small town, it was often just swept under the rug as my father wanted to marry my mother and did so.

Worse than this though, is my mother had 5 more children serially and had 6 children between the ages of newborn to 5 at the ripe old of age of 21.  She literally spent about 85% of her formative years pregnant.  My mother is a poster child for why young girls need to be protected and allowed to grow up before bearing children.  She is batcrap crazy, but she totally gets a pass from me on that.  BTW, they ended up with NINE!

In series?  Sounds more like she was producing in parallel.

1 minute ago, Moulds_80 said:

I dont know what to say...

Good for Bell I guess?

I mean his nickname was the "mailman"

Maybe she was the post office..

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

In series?  Sounds more like she was producing in parallel.

Maybe she was the post office..

Thats what I was getting at, when you have a kid nothing likebthe parents, its the running joke " must be the mailmans kid" lol

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

I am in a similar situation. Mother was 16 and father was 24 when I was born.  Two more kids later and they are divorced and he takes the kids to his grandmother; I am told she had serious issues and used tranquilizers and she died young post divorce.  My parents were married when I was born (not know if before or after conception).   It did not used to be an issue in society and many families preferred older men for daughters who had shown they were capable of supporting families.

Karl Malone is only 2 years younger than me and pretty sure in his society at the time him and her dating was not as big deal as it is now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

True... except when it comes to pedophilia.  In that case grab a slingshot and find the the biggest rocks you can shoot...

Funny part is in the majority of the world this is not uncommon and is normal. Not saying it is right but other cultures view this type of thing differently.

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

How was Malone never charged with anything?  13 years old!?!!?!?

I'm not an expert... but a little background.

This happened in 1983

Statutory rape laws before the 90's came with an implication of force. If the girl consented, the man wasn't charged. Not sure how a parental objection plays into this... despite the wording of the law.

Also there is some racism here, as well as cultural bias within the communities themselves, where the laws were predominantly enforced only in cases when a white girl (and only girls) was involved. Hispanic and Black families rarely reported these instances themselves, anyway.

Underage pregnancies were dealt with by hiding the girl from society, filing charges would have exposed the family.

Edited by unbillievable

15 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

God bless her and I hope she is OK.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

God bless her and I hope she is OK.

Thanks Bill. She’s in final stage renal failure, but hanging in there. My brother and I watched the game with her last night. I moved back here after my dad passed in 2006 and have been looking after her since. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/16/2019 at 12:59 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Fixed.

This is how Bell's Wiki begins:

"Bell, who spelled his first name "Demetrius" until 2012, when he learned his name was actually spelled "Demetress","

LOL wtf

Haha. That must have been on his wiki since 2012 when I looked him up. I figured they'd have changed it after any other notable update occured.

Still the first thing people should know about him I guess.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P