Star Wars: Kenobi

/dev/null

This strikes me as a really bad idea, which probably means Disney will turn it into a reality.

Side note: ever notice how some really popular actors who seem to get a lot of work or even enjoy a reputation as being a good actor, despite not being able to act?

This is people like Liam Neeson, Vin Diesel, Sam Neill...

And Ewan McGregor.  He's terrible.

They’re investing a ton of money into tv shows for that streaming service. It was one thing when Marvel made the Netflix shows with characters they hadn’t used yet. Now they’re spinning of characters from their movies and using those bigger, more established actors. I’d love to see how the budget will compare to the more typical shows. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

They’re investing a ton of money into tv shows for that streaming service. It was one thing when Marvel made the Netflix shows with characters they hadn’t used yet. Now they’re spinning of characters from their movies and using those bigger, more established actors. I’d love to see how the budget will compare to the more typical shows. 

The Mandalorian has been SUPER expensive

They were gonna out that money into Boba Fett and Obi Wan blockbuster films, anyway. 

They decided that they could spend a little less money and take on less risk with two TV series

$15 mil per episode, according to this article: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/15/the-mandalorian-heres-how-much-each-episode-costs-to-make

20 hours ago, shrader said:

Budgets are likely to be in the 10-15m per episode range (for 6-10 episodes). To put that in perspective, when network TV still mattered those shows would get about 3-6m an episode (hour long episodes, for 22-24 per season). Thrones was the most expensive for a time at 10-13m per episode in the final three seasons, but now some of the streaming services are eclipsing that model -- I expect Disney+ to do the same with their bigger properties (Mandalorian was 10-15, about 150 total for 10 episodes). 

The studio system in 2007 killed the middle class movie (the 40-99m range movies which made up the bulk of their product) in favor of the mega-blockbuster/packaged deals which soar to 200+m. Now the money that was going into those middle class movies are going into event/prestige TV shows for the binge culture. We'll start to see more of these types of big series with big names rather than one-off movies that go straight to streaming/VOD, imo. The new "stars" of Hollywood came up in a system where there wasn't a divide between movie actors and TV actors -- and they are more eager to do 6 months of paid work on a show rather than 6-12 weeks for a feature. 

Personally I was hoping this would be a movie rather than a show, unlike Solo I think Kenobi's "origin/backstory" would be a massive hit because people aren't as attached to Kenobi as they were to Ford's portrayal of Solo. But that's just me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2