Odds of both Daboll and Frazier being back next year

All the people certain Frazier won't get another shot should remember he was interviewed by the Colts when McDaniels bailed on them before they settled on Reich. He did have a 10 win season in Minnesota too and, yes, the fact he helps a team fulfill a Rooney Rule requirement doesn't hurt either. 

What goes against him most is his age. He is 60. I think the NFL trend for Head Coaches is to go younger. But if the Bills defense had a year where it was top 5 in yards and points I wouldn't be shocked to see him pick up interviews. 

Daboll I suspect would need at least two years of good offensive production - but if there is a lack of offensive minds on the market come January then who knows? 

The likelihood is both are back in 2020. But it isn't impossible that if the Bills have a good year both could get looks. 

A more interesting question might be whether there are "in-house" options on the current staff to replace them if for any reason they do go. 

If the offensive has a great year I could see Daboll being a possible candidate as the young, offensive mind is so hot right now.  The knock against him is he's from the haunted Belichick coaching tree.  I could also see him as the scapegoat and fired if the offense doesn't improve this year.

Given the NFL is a copycat league it would be interesting to see how Vic Fagino does this year.  If he turns the Broncos around teams may be more willing to look at older, more experienced defensive coordinators increasing the likelihood Frazier gets a look if our D has a good year.  He'd be a really boring hire though for an owner looking to excite his fan base.

3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

The combination of Frazier's time to be considered for HC position has passed and many/most will think McDermott is the defensive architect almost entirely rules out Frazier.

If the offense does well, Daboll is really a one hit wonder at that point. He has no head coaching experience at any level, his previous NFL stints as OC were unsuccessful and coaches from the offensive side of the Belichick coaching tree do not have a great track record as head coaches.

So I'd say likelihood both are back is 95%, nothing is a sure thing. 

? Daboll ‘previous stints as OC were unsuccessful ‘?? You do know he was OC for a Super Bowl & FBS Championship team prior to joining the Bills, right? Right? RIGHT??? 

I’d be interested to learn exactly what your parameters are to be considered successful. But I think he’s better at this point in his career coaching Offense, than the entire team. Then again, who really is ready to be a 1st time HC? I heard Frank Reich interview the other day from Colts camp. ‘Nothing I’ve done previously prepared me for this experience.’

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

? Daboll ‘previous stints as OC were unsuccessful ‘?? You do know he was OC for a Super Bowl & FBS Championship team prior to joining the Bills, right? Right? RIGHT??? 

I’d be interested to learn exactly what your parameters are to be considered successful. But I think he’s better at this point in his career coaching Offense, than the entire team. Then again, who really is ready to be a 1st time HC? I heard Frank Reich interview the other day from Colts camp. ‘Nothing I’ve done previously prepared me for this experience.’

He wasn't OC in New England. He was TEs coach. 

Agree with the point re: Frank Reich though. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

He wasn’t close to the OC in NE.  And any human being could be the Bama OC, that’s why they switch every year.  

All I heard all last off-season is Dennison was the worst OC in the history of football and we never have a worst passing offense now that him and Tyrod were gone.  Well, somehow we got worse. Daboll has a ton to prove before he gets a head coaching job.

and Frazier seems like a nice guy but he will never be a nfl head coach again. 

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

If Allen busts out and I'm talking 4000 yards and 30 total TDs Daboll is gone.  

Frazier I don't know.  How much credit for the D with McD as head coach, who at one point last year took over play calling.  Not sure.  

Leslie is a great human and coach but the trend is offense and or younger guy on defensive side of the ball.

I was thinking the same thing BB.  I don’t see Frazier getting another shot, but if Allen and this offense dramatically improves, he’ll be strongly considered for HC.

The bottom line is that if Allen takes a big step forward this season then Daboll will be a head coach next year.  Daboll will become that most rarified of NFL coaching unicorns, "A Quarterback Whisperer"   Any team heading into the draft looking to draft a QB or a team with a young QB who is not developing like they hoped will be calling Daboll's agent for an interview.

Look at two of the last head coaching hires, Adam Gase, fresh off a pile of steaming dog crap in Miami, and Kliff Kingsbury who had a losing record as a college coach.  Why did they get an NFL job?  Because they are Quarterback Whisperers.  Peyton Manning went to bat for Gase and the Jets brought him in to work with Darnold.  Kingsbury helped develop Keenum, Manziel, Mayfield, and Mahomes.  Thats why the Cardinals hired him. 

What was Jared Goff's career outlook before Sean McVay got to the Rams?  Exactly.

If Allen becomes a successful QB this year, Dabs is gone.  Book it.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

Neither of them strike me as head coach material. Daboll hasn’t put together one good offense in his career. Maybe if the Bills put together two back to back seasons with top 10 finishes he’d get some looks but I think we are pretty far off from that.

Frazier is a good DC, his defenses aren’t legendary and in a offensive driven league that’ll hurt him. Not too many DCs are getting HC jobs these days.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's hope we have those problems.   Daboll has some personal reasons for wanting to stay in Buffalo and he might be inclined to drag his feet before leaving soon unless the opportunity is just too good.  

Edited by BarleyNY