Who wears a CPAP? Love it? Hate it?

Augie

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I've never met anyone who did a sleep study who wasn't recommended a CPAP. I'm a terrible snorer, but I'm never overly tired and I dont have headaches. I'm a light sleeper by nature,  so I think my body has adjusted over the years to not getting great sleep. I move around a lot at night and I can't imagine being strapped to a breathing apparatus.  I'd probably end up strangling myself. 

I have never heard of one until this thread. I know I snore as my grandson reminds me after a little cat nap. I too am a light sleeper and bet 30 minutes doesn't pass and I'm rolling over. if I get 5 hours of sleep a night, I'm lucky. it doesn't seem to affect my day any. I know if ever declared I would need one of those contraptions it would never work because as mentioned it tends to be noisy and I would never get a wink listening to that thing all night.

28 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

By the time I gave in and went for a sleep study, I was fighting to stay awake driving home from work and had some serious issues from lack of sleep. I was told I had extremely severe sleep apnea and  stopped breathing an average of 82 times an hour. I was very surprised since I’m not that overweight (6 foot and 220).  I wear my cpap every night and take it with me wherever I spend the night. I even have a battery pack for camping and the annual fishing trip. If I fall asleep without it, I wake up felling like someone kicked my ass. I actually have dreams where I can’t breath sometimes if I don’t wear it. It’s creepy. I hate being tethered to the nightstand, but the alternative is worse. I do have back pain some mornings from sleeping flat on my back. Just ordered a new mattress that will hopefully help with this. 

WOW! They told me I was very severe, but I was just under 60 times an hour. If you were 82 times an hour that’s crazy land! I’m not surprised you had nasty effects form that.

I go up early every night, right after dinner, and get my CPAP ready with water in reservoir, mask and headgear near my sink, etc. The wife goes to bed a couple hours ahead of me, lessening my time on the contraption....for better or worse. Lately, I’ve found myself having more tolerance for longer stays. Maybe that’s a good thing for me long term. 

26 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I have never heard of one until this thread. I know I snore as my grandson reminds me after a little cat nap. I too am a light sleeper and bet 30 minutes doesn't pass and I'm rolling over. if I get 5 hours of sleep a night, I'm lucky. it doesn't seem to affect my day any. I know if ever declared I would need one of those contraptions it would never work because as mentioned it tends to be noisy and I would never get a wink listening to that thing all night.

Actually, if you have the right mask for you and it keeps a good seal, current machines make hardly any noise at all. It’s having a hose blowing up your head wrapped to a hose that blows up your nose that is hard to get used to. If you lose a good “seal” you’ll hear it immediately. I can’t remember having that happen in months. 

It’s actually very important to heart health. Think about it....you don’t get enough oxygen into your blood because you repeatedly stop breathing, like every minute gasping for air!  Your brain knows you need more oxygen so your heart has to work extra hard to push low oxygen blood while you are supposed to be resting and revitalizing. 

You don’t have to lie on your back to wear one. You just can’t “tumble roll”. I can be on either side or my back. The hose is long enough to allow that easily. 

P.S. - If you’ve never heard of it before, CPAP stands for continuous positive air pressure. It blows down your nose/throat constantly and doesn’t allow your throat to close up, allowing you to snore or airflow to be obstructed.

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

By the time I gave in and went for a sleep study, I was fighting to stay awake driving home from work and had some serious issues from lack of sleep. I was told I had extremely severe sleep apnea and  stopped breathing an average of 82 times an hour. I was very surprised since I’m not that overweight (6 foot and 220).  I wear my cpap every night and take it with me wherever I spend the night. I even have a battery pack for camping and the annual fishing trip. If I fall asleep without it, I wake up felling like someone kicked my ass. I actually have dreams where I can’t breath sometimes if I don’t wear it. It’s creepy. I hate being tethered to the nightstand, but the alternative is worse. I do have back pain some mornings from sleeping flat on my back. Just ordered a new mattress that will hopefully help with this. 

Pretty much the same here don't use it and I wake up when I try to sleep because I'm not breathing.

If you're not comfortable with your mask you should be able to get a different version and insurance I think typically covers a replacement one eventually.

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Pretty much the same here don't use it and I wake up when I try to sleep because I'm not breathing.

If you're not comfortable with your mask you should be able to get a different version and insurance I think typically covers a replacement one eventually.

I went through at least three different masks before I found the one that worked for me. The “nasal buds” were the best fit, by far. The wrong mask is just a NO GO! Insurance eventually covered it. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Off I go....I both look forward to strapping into this contraption....and horribly dread it at the same time.....it’s so confusing! 

Yeah I mean you get used to it but at the same time it's annoying being tied down to the machine. I mean if I have to be strapped to a machine I should at least get to enter the Matrix.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

So you had the study, but didn’t do it? Why not? (NOT that I blame you!) I did it mostly due to pressure from my wife, and my wish to join her for her work travels and take vacations in peace. Home is no biggie, on the road it is a MUST! There was some subtle pressure concerning health, so that was in my mind, as well. 

It came up in the mattress thread, and I wondered how common it was here. Maybe almost half the guys I know use one now. 

......got used to it right away (13 years now).....really had no choice...sleep study revealed 91 incidents per hour, so breathing was interrupted every 45 seconds...pretty bad............just bought the SoClean sanitizer to keep CPAP machine (AirSep 10) clean....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......got used to it right away (13 years now).....really had no choice...sleep study revealed 91 incidents per hour, so breathing was interrupted every 45 seconds...pretty bad............just bought the SoClean sanitizer to keep CPAP machine (AirSep 10) clean....

That’s about 50% worse than I was, and they thought I was bad! I’ve had the SoClean for about a year. I don’t use it every day, but I probably should....it’s not like it’s difficult. I got it after a buddy got his SoClean. Another friend is joining us on a cruise in Europe soon, and he’s not only taking his CPAP (as I will), but he’s also taking his SoClean. I’m not traveling with THAT much gear! I’ll rough it for a couple weeks. I bet I survive. 

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s about 50% worse than I was, and they thought I was bad! I’ve had the SoClean for about a year. I don’t use it every day, but I probably should....it’s not like it’s difficult. I got it after a buddy got his SoClean. Another friend is joining us on a cruise in Europe soon, and he’s not only taking his CPAP (as I will), but he’s also taking his SoClean. I’m not traveling with THAT much gear! I’ll rough it for a couple weeks. I bet I survive. 

...hope so!!....I was not diligent enough in cleaning my old machine and ended up on antibiotics for 30 days with infection....with the new machine and SoClean, I put mask and headgear in it every morning.....it is automatically cycled to start at 10AM daily.....I've used the pillow mask versus face mask from day one.....could never use the face mask...schnozz is too damn big...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hope so!!....I was not diligent enough in cleaning my old machine and ended up on antibiotics for 30 days with infection....with the new machine and SoClean, I put mask and headgear in it every morning.....it is automatically cycled to start at 10AM daily.....I've used the pillow mask versus face mask from day one.....could never use the face mask...schnozz is too damn big...........

The first couple years I just hand cleaned....and only a few times a month. I survived then, so I can travel for a couple weeks without taking the SoClean I hope. Antibiotics for 30 is scary, though! I’ll be sure to hand clean more while traveling. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Pretty sure I’m on my way to a CPAP in the near future.  First home sleep study came back inconclusive.  Have to spend the night in the hospital for another study next month.  Not looking forward to it, but I guess better than destroying my heart.

Interesting, my insurance would not pay for the “sleep-over study”. It felt like they knew they’d end up paying for the machine, so why pay for the expensive study too. The sleep doctors wanted the sleep over for the extra ca$h, I think. I did it at home which was much more comfortable for me. 

I tried one for a few nights.  Ended up returning it, there was no way I could ever get used to it and I was choking in my sleep when wearing it.  I've gone low tech, switched to the extra strong breathe strips from CVS + taking vitamin D every day (supposed to help with sinuses) +  I'm also trying to lose some weight.  If I can't manage it low tech I'm going to try out a dental retainer for night breathing.

18 hours ago, Augie said:

I snore. It doesn’t bother me at all. Apparently, I am the ONLY one not bothered by this fact. 

Several years ago I gave in and did the sleep study. I love my wife, so I made a point of “winning” the sleep study by enjoying multiple adult beverages the evening before. Insurance bought mine. In retrospect, it may have been a strategic error as she can now point out what a mess I am. I stopped breathing almost every minute of every hour. I’d start snorting and choking for air, only to do it again the next minute. It’s actually quite bad for you, as by not getting enough oxygen in, your heart has to work harder to supply your body. That’s bad. 

The thing is....I HATE IT! I have nasal buds shooting a leaf blower up my nose all night long. To complete this suave look, I have rugby style headgear that keeps my jaw closed to avoid mouth breathing. The wife says it is enormously helpful, but I still hate wearing the gear and getting tangled in this life support hose tied to my head. 

I have friends who LOVE it! They can’t sleep (or even nap) without it, never travel without it. When my wife is traveling, I don’t wear it at home. When I travel with her it’s a MUST! At home if I kick it off at 3:00am, she just goes to another room. On the road, that’s a sore point. Traveling with the boys once, we had two rooms at a Ritz Carlton (NO, not our usual stay, but that’s where the event was). A room for the boys, another for us. At 3:00am she went down in her bathrobe and paid for a third room at a Ritz to get a few hours sleep. 

I’ll be going to the Nashville game with my son. Rather than take my CPAP, we got two rooms to ease his trepidation. There was a game in Buffalo when he turned 16 (rite of passage stuff) where I kept him up all night. A second room eases his fear, and gets me off the CPAP. We are heading to Europe soon for a couple weeks, most of it on a cruise. I’m taking the CPAP, but a friend of ours is ALSO bringing his bulky So-Clean (the cleaning contraption). He loves his so much he’s willing to do anything possible to have the whole experience!

So, who wears one? Who likes it? Who hates it? Who needs one but is too stubborn to give in? 

Maybe you have a future with the BILLS.  You could stay in the visiting team's hotel, WITHOUT your CPAP.  A Win-Win!  Might even be better than pulling the Fire Alarm?

49 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Pretty sure I’m on my way to a CPAP in the near future.  First home sleep study came back inconclusive.  Have to spend the night in the hospital for another study next month.  Not looking forward to it, but I guess better than destroying my heart.

...a friend of my son's had apnea and never bothered to do anything about it....died of a heart attack in his sleep at age 29...........

• Sad 1