Thursday night preseason games 8/15

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What I am saying is I think it is a closer contest than you make out. The Jets offense if the line holds up will be productive this year. Their skill position players are better than ours in my opinion. 

I don't think I am being a "disloyal" Bills fan by saying the Jets could be a half decent team. 

The term “disloyal fan” isn’t in my vocabulary. Especially when it comes to honest assessments of our opponents. If I can’t say an opponent is better without being labeled a “disloyal fan”, then whomever is labeling me as such doesn’t have a CLUE about competition. 

To the point at hand, what I’m saying is, our secondary is leaps and bounds better than theirs. And our poor receiving corps that got the better of them last season, is much improved this season. 

And again, none of our conjecture means squat when the regular season starts. 

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's incredible how a billion dollar product is so unbelievably inept. Goodell is a ***** show commissioner when it comes to integrity of the actual game. He's a joke.

I don’t get this at all.  Did Goodell make the call?  Is Goodell in the booth making the call?  Did Goodell blow the call in the playoffs?  Was Goodell on the coaching and GM committee that decided the rule change?

Goodell is a front piece for a billion dollar game where revenue keeps growing.  He rides a fine line between what is best for the owners and the league.  The joke is the result of coaches wanting more control and not understanding the consequences of their decision.  It was the same issue with the catch rule - that one (and this) is on the competition committee that wanted a change, but couldn’t define the change and made it worse.  None of this is on Goodell.

Edited by Rochesterfan

16 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t get this at all.  Did Goodell make the call?  Is Goodell in the booth making the call?  Did Goodell blow the call in the playoffs?  Was Goodell on the coaching and GM committee that decided the rule change?

Goodell is a front piece for a billion dollar game where revenue keeps growing.  He rides a fine line between what is best for the owners and the league.  The joke is the result of coaches wanting more control and not understanding the consequences of their decision.  It was the same issue with the catch rule - that as on the competition committee that wanted a change, but couldn’t define the change and made it worse.  None of this is on Goodell.

Btw the call was fine. The push off was not seen on camera. You can even see the ref taking out his flag well before the ball arrived. 

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Btw the call was fine. The push off was not seen on camera. You can even see the ref taking out his flag well before the ball arrived. 

I saw that also, but people make their mind up and that is it.  Just gets frustrating when the same people spout the same false garbage over and over.  Especially once it has been proven false again and again.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Isnt Goodell responsible for the football operations, the rules and officiating? 

The guy is involved in everything. He deserves a lot of blame for bad NFL officiating. 

Nope - the competition committee adjust the rules with input from coaches and GMs. That is voted on by the league.  Goodell is not responsible for rules. He is responsible for business development decisions.  

Goodell has also been an advocate for full time officials and has gotten some of that, but not all the way. 

The set-up of the officials and the replay was again set by the competition committee.

Goodell can only do so much with officials because they are part of a collectively  bargained Union.  He tried to discipline some officials last year, but has limited power to do anything.

You can blame Goodell, but he has very little to do with rules and officiating- other than being the face piece.

Goodell actually tried to fix the catch rule by getting players to provide input to the competition committee, but that group still could not fix he issue.  He also tried to get more full time officials, but that was not pushed through the union - so he has to make due until their CBA is up and they can make changes if the owners approve.

If you want to complain about Goodell - then it should deal with the NFLPA, Stadium deals, TV deals, and other business related decisions.  Rules and enforcement is really under the competition committee that happens to have guys like Sean Payton on it that push issue the impacted their team - hence the new stupid pass interference rule.

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Isnt Goodell responsible for the football operations, the rules and officiating? 

The guy is involved in everything. He deserves a lot of blame for bad NFL officiating. 

Additionally - if you watch the play and listen to the explanation provided by the league - the foul that was called occurred prior to the pass with an offensive push off that lead to the DB being out of position.  So even in the end if you want to blame Goodell - the correct call was probably made in this case.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

That's not really what I said though.

I said the Jets offense will be a top 10 unit in large part to their WRs. 

I think their OLine will be ok. Not great but not terrible.

Thats a lot of faith in Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder and 12 games of Herndon.  A unit most pundits have ranked in the bottom half of the league.  

There is potential there for those guys to be elevated by the play of Darnold.   

Bell and Montgomery is a nice RB tandem.  

Their OL’s ceiling is mediocre with a floor that could sabotage them.  

I do like Gase’s up-tempo Offense with Sam though.