Thursday night preseason games 8/15

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

So if it was up to you who would you choose for the Bills HC, McDermott or Gase?

Ever since yolo posted that article about him, no thank you. Seem like a lunatic.  McDermott is a perfect fit for the franchise.... results pending of course. 

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

What I find interesting is that now the eyeball test is valid where last year it wasn't. I'm confused.

Josh my take longer to develop. I think everyone expected it’s possible. In five years from now Josh May well easily be the better player...

Darnold a headstart playing in a elite polished college program. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ever since yolo posted that article about him, no thank you. Seem like a lunatic.  McDermott is a perfect fit for the franchise.... results pending of course. 

Same here.  I asked because Scott was sounding like he may want Gase over McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Same here.  I asked because Scott was sounding like he may want Gase over McDermott.

A “non-Bills something” vs a “Bills something”, you know where he stands... ?

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

At this point in their careers it's pretty close. Both had good first years followed by bad 2nd years and a bad 3rd year for Gase.

This year will tell a lot. Need to see a significant improvement in offense and team record for the Bills. To this point the McDermott led Bills have had atrocious offenses after blowing up a pretty good one the year before he arrived. 

We agree on that.  Personally I like McDermotts slow, steady, rational approach.  Gase is opposite of that.

For my money it's not even close.........................but we will see this year.

16 hours ago, MAGA-Man said:

Yep, the Jets trading up with the Colts ahead of the Bills in 2018 could become another "thing" in Bills history. We'll find out.

The Jets didn’t trade up with the Colts ahead of the Bills. If the Jets hadn't made that trade, they would still have picked ahead of the Bills. They were already picking 6th. Also if Darnold had been there when the Bills were picking, I still think they would have taken Allen. That’s based on all we have seen/heard. Not saying it’s what they should have done (no one knows that yet) but i think it’s what they would have done. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really? The WRs are the same? Not really close, IMO.

Their WRs as a whole are much better than ours. Anderson, while a complete bone head, is a very good reciever. He'd easily be the best one on our roster. Enuwa is a good, physical compliment to him, and Crowder is a perfect slot guy.... just about anyone who isn't a Bills fan would tell you this. The Bills have a bunch of borderline #2 recievers and a good slot Beasley. 

Herndon is going to be a good TE in this league. Guy flashed big time last season. 

I like Darnold a lot and I don't think there is any question that he is going to be a good one for years to come and Bell is excellent when he is one the field.

The only question mark is their line. 

At this point in their careers it's pretty close. Both had good first years followed by bad 2nd years and a bad 3rd year for Gase.

This year will tell a lot. Need to see a significant improvement in offense and team record for the Bills. To this point the McDermott led Bills have had atrocious offenses after blowing up a pretty good one the year before he arrived. 

I mean, I literally just did a quick google search on WR’s and while it’s Bleacher Report, I don’t think this guy is a Bills homer.  

Bills 29.  Jets 23.  That’s pretty close.  Both ranked towards the bottom of the league, entering the season.  Each unit has some vets and potential. 

Bills OL, on paper, is drastically better than the Jets OL.  That’s a pretty big advantage if it plays out that way, no?  All we can do is predict right now. 

It really boils down to Allen and Darnold.  Both have enough to work with in Year 2....but you’re trying to sell us on a Jets Top 10 Offense.  I’m pretty sure only you, and Jets fans, feel that way. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2837387-ranking-every-nfl-receiving-corps-heading-into-the-2019-season.amp.html

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Really? The WRs are the same? Not really close, IMO.

Their WRs as a whole are much better than ours. Anderson, while a complete bone head, is a very good reciever. He'd easily be the best one on our roster. Enuwa is a good, physical compliment to him, and Crowder is a perfect slot guy.... just about anyone who isn't a Bills fan would tell you this. The Bills have a bunch of borderline #2 recievers and a good slot Beasley. 

Herndon is going to be a good TE in this league. Guy flashed big time last season. 

I like Darnold a lot and I don't think there is any question that he is going to be a good one for years to come and Bell is excellent when he is one the field.

The only question mark is their line. 

Since their receivers and our receivers will never play against each other, I’ll ask a relevant question that fact poses:

Which receiver group will have the better success vs. the opposing secondary; Jets receivers vs. our secondary or our receivers vs. the Jets secondary? Since Jamal Adams is the only one from the Jets would would start in our D backfield, I know what my answer would be.

That O line question is huge. If they can’t stay out of unmanageable down/distance situations, it won’t matter much how good Darnold, Bell, and their receivers are. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What slow, steady approach are you referring to?

I'll give you my take on the Beane/McDermott plan.  After looking at what they had to work with and what their "process" was,

I think they did the following as a priority.  I say priority for the sake of a better word.

1.  Implement the Process.  I see that as the character of the team.  This means getting rid of the players that don't fit and finding leaders.

2.  Dealing with the implication of Step 1.  This caused talent holes and cap issues. 

3.  Implement your drafting process.  It's the long term plan of drafting.

4.  Get the Defense lined out first.  McD is defensive minded and it makes sense doing what you know you are good at first.

5.  Securing the QB.  Lot's of effort and treasure went into getting Josh Allen.  Secured the defensive QB too.

6.  Put the appropriate talent around the QB.

7.  Rinse and repeat where needed and reap rewards (South Park humor).

I'm not saying this is exactly what they were thinking but only an example of what I think their long term thinking is like.

Step 1 thru 3 was implemented the 1st year.  Step 4 and 5 was last year.  This year it's step 6 and 7.

The timing of the steps are mine.

Now, they both have made wrong moves in players and staff choices but they seem to move on quickly from mistakes.

I know many will say they should of done all this at once but that isn't realistic especially when Step 2 was pretty deep.

I will start to judge the results of their "process" this year.

Go Bills!

Yeah, Gase pisses me off. 

He's being hailed as this masterful QB whisperer, but we saw what he did in his time with Miami. Let's not pretend that Tannehill and Cutler were complete trash. In fact, I remember some eager champing at the bit to trade for Cutler in the late stages of Marrone era. And with the way that the Dolphins front office threw around money on free agents, it's not as if they were trying to do it on the cheap. 

He's not a terrible coach scheme-wise, but he clearly lost the locker room last year. The Jets were 4-12 last year, and for good reason (and not just Darnold being a rookie) Yeah, they picked up an excellent running back, but I honestly don't see the talent to derserve the kind of hype they are getting.

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yeah, Gase pisses me off. 

He's being hailed as this masterful QB whisperer, but we saw what he did in his time with Miami. Let's not pretend that Tannehill and Cutler were complete trash. In fact, I remember some eager champing at the bit to trade for Cutler in the late stages of Marrone era. And with the way that the Dolphins front office threw around money on free agents, it's not as if they were trying to do it on the cheap. 

He's not a terrible coach scheme-wise, but he clearly lost the locker room last year. The Jets were 4-12 last year, and for good reason (and not just Darnold being a rookie) Yeah, they picked up an excellent running back, but I honestly don't see the talent to derserve the kind of hype they are getting.

Gase isn't a leader. That's his problem. As an offensive coordinator he's fine. But as a head coach he is a train wreck.

Just now, MJS said:

Gase isn't a leader. That's his problem. As an offensive coordinator he's fine. But as a head coach he is a train wreck.

I don’t even think he’s good at offense. His offense was ranked even lower than the Bills last year and that’s supposed to be the one area he’s good at. He can blame it on Loggains the OC, but he brought him over to the Jets so

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I mean, I'm not complaining about that. In fact, I think it will lead to the Jets falling well short of expectations, which would be good for us.

I just get really annoyed at the fellating that national media guys have started on because it's a NY team and they got one flashy offensive free agent

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

It is interesting. Many of the same people who championed Tyrod and EJ as franchise caliber QBs, seem to feel Allen has little chance of ever becoming even an above average NFL QB. Just hoping their judgement about Allen is as wrong as their judgement about Tyrod and EJ.

To be fair I was out on EJ in camp his 2nd year and out on Tyrod by the Cincinnati game of his 2nd season starting. I have been toward the sceptical end on Allen but I feel he has a better chance than either of them had because he is more talented. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

He 100% is not a leader but his resume as an OC is "he had a good offense with Peyton Manning" and for one season (in Chicago) Jay Cutler didn't suck playing for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Since their receivers and our receivers will never play against each other, I’ll ask a relevant question that fact poses:

Which receiver group will have the better success vs. the opposing secondary; Jets receivers vs. our secondary or our receivers vs. the Jets secondary? Since Jamal Adams is the only one from the Jets would would start in our D backfield, I know what my answer would be.

That O line question is huge. If they can’t stay out of unmanageable down/distance situations, it won’t matter much how good Darnold, Bell, and their receivers are. 

But arguably none of our receivers would start for them. So it works both ways. Robby Anderson gave Tre White probably his toughest game last season torching him a couple of times. 

Anderson is legitimately good. He is certainly the best receiver across the two teams in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But arguably none of our receivers would start for them. So it works both ways. Robby Anderson gave Tre White probably his toughest game last season torching him a couple of times. 

Anderson is legitimately good. He is certainly the best receiver across the two teams in my opinion. 

So, your answer is the Jets receivers would perform better against our secondary than our receivers would against their secondary. 

While I agree that Anderson is good and I like Enunwa as well, the collective numbers from both games last year combined don’t suggest that their receivers got the better of our secondary than our receivers got the better against theirs;  Anderson’s one long catch vs. White in the second game notwithstanding. 

And while I know that Darnold and Anderson didn’t play in the first game at MetLife and that was a huge advantage for us, that had no impact on how our receivers did against their secondary. And since we’ve upgraded our receiving corps and the Jets didn’t, I see no reason to believe that trend won’t continue. 

And I say that knowing that all preseason predictions go out the window the minute the regular season kicks off. ?

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So, your answer is the Jets receivers would perform better against our secondary than our receivers would against their secondary. 

While I agree that Anderson is good and I like Enunwa as well, the collective numbers from both games last year combined don’t suggest that their receivers got the better of our secondary than our receivers got the better against theirs;  Anderson’s one long catch vs. White in the second game notwithstanding. 

And while I know that Darnold and Anderson didn’t play in the first game at MetLife and that was a huge advantage for us, that had no impact on how our receivers did against their secondary. And since we’ve upgraded our receiving corps and the Jets didn’t, I see no reason to believe that trend won’t continue. 

And I say that knowing that all preseason predictions go out the window the minute the regular season kicks off. ?

What I am saying is I think it is a closer contest than you make out. The Jets offense if the line holds up will be productive this year. Their skill position players are better than ours in my opinion. 

I don't think I am being a "disloyal" Bills fan by saying the Jets could be a half decent team. 

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To be fair I was out on EJ in camp his 2nd year and out on Tyrod by the Cincinnati game of his 2nd season starting. I have been toward the sceptical end on Allen but I feel he has a better chance than either of them had because he is more talented. 

He 100% is not a leader but his resume as an OC is "he had a good offense with Peyton Manning" and for one season (in Chicago) Jay Cutler didn't suck playing for him. 

That's kinda my bone to pick with this bit of media buzz in his favor. I'm not saying he did a *bad* job with Tannehill and Cutler, but I marvel at the idea that someone, Mr. Turnover Sam Darnold is suddenly going to turn into the second coming of Tom Brady.