Late night discussion: Should Josh Allen run less in 2019?

HOUSE

In the regular season he should run less, but not take it out of his "bag of tricks".... in Preseason I want him to not run at all. Throw away and move on, don't risk injury for meaningless games. 

10 minutes ago, MR8 said:

In the regular season he should run less, but not take it out of his "bag of tricks".... in Preseason I want him to not run at all. Throw away and move on, don't risk injury for meaningless games. 

They will be ready for his run this year

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Thanks for the video.  It really illustrates how few of Allen’s runs were designed.  It’s an important part of his game and I don’t want to see it go away.  I’d like to see it diminished somewhat due to:

1) better protection from a better OL

2) a better WR corps getting open more quickly more often

3) a better job of quickly reading the field and finding open receivers by Allen

If all of those areas improve, then we can actually see Allen run less even with more pass plays called. That all said, I still think the WR corps and OL need further improvement and that’s a season away. (Keep an eye on Browns WR Rashard Higgins who will likely be a FA next offseason.)

• Like (+1) 1

This Bills should not be "Scaling back" his running. But what they did this offseason, is give him the tools to hopefully not have to. A better offensive line, and greater depth at running back. As well as better Wide Receivers so he can pass more. I want to see his passing game take a big step forward this year!

They are hopefully teaching him to run like Russel Wilson. Roll out but keep looking down field to attempt a pass. If you see nothing open try for a few yards and go out of bounds or slide before taking a hit. Allen should be fined 500$ for every hit he takes out of the pocket for not sliding or being hit out of bounds. 

We are not winning a super bowl with his legs, he needs to learn how to throw the ball and pick apart a defense and set them up for the big play downfield.

If we don’t start putting up even average passing numbers no FA WR will ever sign here. The next 2 years should be focused on getting WR’s for Allen and protecting Allen.

Nope. Just run smarter. I don't care if he runs for 1,000 yards this year. Just slide when you need to or run out of bounds. Avoid the big hits. Be willing to take a loss of yards if it means preserving your body. Other than that, run as much as you want.

QB's get hurt IN the pocket all the time. Staying in the pocket does not save you unless you get rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds every single time like Brady. Josh already got hurt in the pocket last year, not running the ball.

So no, I would like to see lots of rushing yards from Josh this year. It's a great weapon to use, especially against Kiko Alonso. Looking forward to it!

Loved having him run so well last season. If his performance this season is comparable to after he came back from the injury, I'd be pretty happy. The hope is that he won't need to run as much as the line will block better and therefore the offense on the whole will preform better.  But his running is a huge weapon,  he has Vick like impact running.

I'd like to see Josh run less and be more judicious about when he does run.  Running shouldn't be his first instinct; hopefully he accepts that it is ok to throw it away if nothing is there rather than put himself at risk of injury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/15/2019 at 8:11 AM, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

The quantity of runs may not be the real issue.  Running as the game and the play dictates should be the determining factor.  Take what the defense is giving. Getting out of bounds or sliding to avoid contact needs to be the priority.  Hurdling linebackers is just a stupid thing for a starting QB to attempt regardless of how cool it was.

I think him hurdling the LB was best way to avoid taking a hit for he was not going to be able to slide in time.

I agree he should be running as play dictates and that includes making long runs when huge holes open up but he needs to understand two things - take what you can and be careful for defense players will hit him even if they are going to be penalized.

Allen is not just fast for a QB, he is simply just fast...he has so many runs where he just pulled away from linebackers effortlessly and DBs had to really run to catch up to him...he is a clear case of being faster thsn his 40 time...watching him run the 40 it looks like he is s robot nd has no idea how to run properly from a dead stop...get him in a game where he is running from a moving start and you sit there and start wondering how a guy that big can move that way

He hit a max speed of over 20 mph on one of his runs which is really really impressive...

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I think him hurdling the LB was best way to avoid taking a hit for he was not going to be able to slide in time.

I agree he should be running as play dictates and that includes making long runs when huge holes open up but he needs to understand two things - take what you can and be careful for defense players will hit him even if they are going to be penalized.

I was at that game and he had ample opportunity to slide.  He chose not to so that he could make a first down.  Had the defender not lowered his head with a bad form tackle, he could have creamed Allen.  I'm sure the coaching staff explained this to him. A starting QB needs to be aware of the longer term ramifications of getting injured and play smart.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:13 AM, Original Byrd Man said:

I worry about injury, but on the other hand he is quite fast for someone his size and has a definite ability to make people miss in the open field so I'm not sure what I think they should do.

Yeah but pretty much all NFL athletes have those abilities.

The bottom line is if he runs a lot, he's going to get injured.  Just a question of when.

We also have to assume his insane run production is going to be curtailed dramatically by the league once they have seen enough film, which by now, they probably have.

I think it would be really interesting if Allen is still able to find huge time and space for long runs.  I predict he won't be able to, but he could!

That will be 1 of many things to keep an eye on this year.

Cheetah that he is, I'm sure he will pick his moments again this year to make middle LB's look silly. However, I really hope to see significantly higher passing yardage to marry it up with, as that will mean when he does run, it's regularly in open space and less likelihood of serious injury.

• Like (+1) 1