Late night discussion: Should Josh Allen run less in 2019?

HOUSE

He’s only a 2nd year player, if he wants to run, yes, let him run. He could possibly get hurt, but that’s when your coach steps in and teaches him to slide, run out of bounds and not take the big hit. Nobody told Michael Vick not to run, they’re similar players in many respects. Think Lamar Jackson won’t run this year? Of course he will. We could be looking at the #1 rushing offense when you factor in Allen, our line and our hefty backfield. That’s a pretty attractive reality and Allen is a big part in that. If Allen puts up 600yds rushing again, I think the Bills will lead the league in overall rushing yards.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think he should be asked to run less.  Running is a huge part of his game and a real threat to opposing defenses.

I do think he should be trained to read defenses and run through his progressions better.  Finding the most open guy quickly will  result in a more potent passing attack and - at the same time - have him running and  risking injury less.  

But if taking off on his own is the best option on a particular play, I want him to run.

• Like (+1) 2

Not necessarily less, but smarter.  This team should be good enough that he doesn't need to take on defenders for an extra 4-5 years, unless it's an absolutely crucial play.  Just pick up what you can and slide down or run out of bounds.

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't think he should be asked to run less.  Running is a huge part of his game and a real threat to opposing defenses.

I do think he should be trained to read defenses and run through his progressions better.  Finding the most open guy quickly will  result in a more potent passing attack and - at the same time - have him running and  risking injury less.  

But if taking off on his own is the best option on a particular play, I want him to run.

you hit the points square on the head. 

It comes down to designed run plays or RPO's 

He should not be asked to run less, he just needs to run through his progressions and throw the ball away 

and for heavens sake LOSE the huge scrambles backwards for a sack 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

you hit the points square on the head. 

It comes down to designed run plays or RPO's 

He should not be asked to run less, he just needs to run through his progressions and throw the ball away 

and for heavens sake LOSE the huge scrambles backwards for a sack 

I remember the JP Pirouettes and Rob Johnson pulling this quite a bit.  I do not think of this as a JA problem, especially later in the second half of his 1st season.  Do you have any specifically in mind?  None come to me.

I think you have to ask first, why did he run as much as he did? 

He had three kinds of runs last year. 

1- Designed runs (I do not remember many of these at all) 

2- Broken plays where he escaped pressure, or saw that there was nothing happening, and bailed out. 

3- Runs where he got antsy and did not settle into the pocket, maybe even missed seeing an open receiver, and took off. 

Run types 2 and 3 were most prevalent, and were most successful. That being said, I am fine with type #2, as it's an important part of his game. Type #3, I believe, is something we need to see less of. He needs to get better at seeing the whole field, going through all of his reads, and taking an easy out instead of running. I think this will be helped by better line play, and receivers that get better separation.

Two things that are encouraging about his running style is that, for the most part (and definitely down the stretch) he seemed more willing to avoid hits- this is huge. And secondly, until he commits to running and crossing the LOS, he keeps his eyes downfield looking for a throw. This will turn into big plays when receivers work back and defenses are keyed to stop him from running, especially given his arm talent and that he can literally deliver the ball anywhere on the field at a moments notice.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Thanks for posting this.  It's been awhile since I had watched it.  The whole running = risking injury narative is not valid, imo.  If you watch it, point out a hit that gives you pause and makes you think that he took a bad, potentially injury causing shot.  Kiko's cheap shot attempt that turned into a leg whip maybe.  Defenders can cheap shot the QB anywhere if they don't mind getting the flag or risking ejection.  The pocket hits are much more dangerous, imo.  Often unexpected and with the QB in vulnerable positions and with potential harm from head to toe. 

I see alot of gassed defenders taking bad angles, slides, stepping out-of-bounds.  Josh does it pretty smartly, I think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes he should run less for the sake of health & longevity. But he still should take a scramble or 2 considering his athleticism.  If Peterman can go 50, so can Josh. Stress to him to channel his inner Russell Wilson and know when to slide. That way we get the best of both worlds with our upgraded OL. You don't want JA to become RG3.......

• Like (+1) 1

Assuming he has better blocking in front of him, I imagine we'll see quite a bit less running. There will probably be games where teams load up on coverage and he runs a bit more and then there will be games like against the Lions where they focus on the running and he doesn't run at all. Like last year, I don't expect a lot of designed runs and that's how I prefer it. 

I was watching an old Cover 1 video and grabbed the screenshot below. Not a single lineman was blocking someone when he was about to pass the ball. Just downright, utterly terrible. 

The only person between a defender and Allen is Zay Jones of all people. 

block2.JPG

Edited by elroy16

The vast majority of his 2018 "runs" were scrambles, forced on him by our woeful combo of OL that couldn't block and receivers that couldn't get open.

As long as that's the case, there is nothing wrong with him running.  There were VERY few instances of him scrambling when he shouldn't have.

The hope this year is that with better OL and WR play he won't need to scramble as much, but the way this question is often (and here) worded makes it sound like it's on Allen or the coaches to change something - misses the mark badly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It should naturally decline from last year. Most of Allen's runs were not designed runs, he ran because he had to. I think they may have more designed runs for him this year in the playbook (last year they didn't know that he was so athletic when they drafted him). The threat of the run will be to keep the defense honest and have to keep a spy. With the WRs we have this year and the improved OL Allen wont have to run because he's forced to. He'll run if it's available.

Less!!!!

As I stated in the Training camp thread , they had him run an option play against the Panther’s D. He kept it and ran just off LT into LBs. 

I also noticed that the pocket they are forming really pushes the DEs up field forcing him to step up into the pocket. At the same time it is leaving him and out on either side. 

I think it will be a struggle for him not to take advantage of those openings. When the bleep is hitting the fan it seems to be a natural instinct for him to bail out. One good hit is all it’s going to take to end a season for him. 

I want to see him, with time behind a good line, figure out the passing game. It means a fewer wins in the short term but could really pay dividends in the future, both health wise and passing production wise