2016 NFL Draft Grades: Shaq Lawson Is Graded at a D+

21 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

No another Rex Ryan Gem

Yup.  Whaley should have put his foot down more with Rex.  He had the number 2 defense in the nfl and Rex ruined it.  Rex was in love with Clemson.

and Lawson is better than a D+.  He is an average NFL DE.  He is this generation’s Chris Kelsey. Super disappointing for that high of a pick but it could have been much worse. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  Whaley should have put his foot down more with Rex.  He had the number 2 defense in the nfl and Rex ruined it.  Rex was in love with Clemson.

and Lawson is better than a D+.  He is an average NFL DE.  He is this generation’s Chris Kelsey. Super disappointing for that high of a pick but it could have been much worse. 

He's a D+ because you really should expect a lot more from a top 20 pick. The grade is correct. If you're a drafting a guy in the first round who plays like an earlier fourth rounder, you deserve a bad grade.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:37 PM, Doc Brown said:

Fair grade.  I expected more from a first round DE.  It's amusing to me that this board in general is more harsh on Zay Jones (a 2nd round pick) than Shaq Lawson.

Jones only has the speed and route running prowess to occasionally get separation from only some of the league's defensive backs, some of the time.  That's his issue.  He doesn't get open very well.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know about what D+ normally means in American education grading systems but it certainly doesn't mean 69-70 under any English grading systems. It means 45. 

Where I am from a B is about 75. So that is the reality of where I am actually putting them. 

Yeah that clears it up........the author is using US grading context.

Usually if you produce sub 60% test scores.....sometimes even sub 65%....... in the US they don't bother differentiating beneath that..........you just get an F.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that clears it up........the author is using US grading context.

Usually if you produce sub 60% test scores.....sometimes even sub 65%....... in the US they don't bother differentiating beneath that..........you just get an F.

So in the UK the grade ranges are wider but below a C is generally considered a fail. Although with our A levels (so your pre-University exam) they use grading curves. So 68% one year might be an A and another year that might be a C because there are percentages allocated to each band. It's complicated. 

But yea, I think there absolutely is a clear discrepancy between Shaq and Buckner. But I think there is also a bit of clear water between Buckner and someone like Jalen Ramsey or Joey Bosa or Zeke and that is what I was objecting to. Him getting the same grade as those guys. On 2018 alone, sure you can make an argument for that, but on his first two years alone, no chance. 

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What GM allows the coach to make the selections for him?  The bad pick is on

Whaley

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Goff deserves an A even if you think he's solely the product of McVay's system and choked in the Superbowl.  The last two years Goff threw for a combined 60 TD's and 19 INT's with a 63.5% completion percentage and a QB rating of 100.5 while making the pro bowl each year.  

Buckner I agree with as he's more of a B/B+ grade with his breakout year coming last year.

I'm not trying to rip on Goff, I just think a B+ is more realistic, or maybe an A-.

Same for Carson Wentz, despite the injuries, he deserves at least an A-. Ryan Kelly deserves more than a C.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There are far worse players than Lawson.  D+ is not accurate for his level of play. It's not even that fair for his draft status. He is a C+ player. B- in run game. 

He may be a B- against the run but he gives you very little pass rush.  I’d be more inclined to a C-

Just now, Mark Vader said:

I'm not trying to rip on Goff, I just think a B+ is more realistic, or maybe an A-.

Same for Carson Wentz, despite the injuries, he deserves at least an A-. Ryan Kelly deserves more than a C.

I would not give Goff an A.  B+ is more appropriate.  Especially how he shat the bed in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl.