2016 NFL Draft Grades: Shaq Lawson Is Graded at a D+

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That post ended up being more persuasive than I thought it would be. That said, it sort of answers a different question, which is how did the Whaley dynasty do overall? the question posed, however, is how did Whaley do in the 2016 first round?  In any event, to your point, I don't think Whaley did as bad as you are portraying, and I don't think he did any worse than any other GM.  The true short coming is he never got his QB and, to a lesser extent, he never got his coach.  But I agree with the general premises of your point, which is you have to have a good average with your picks to be a successful GM. I just think he had a higher average than ".220"

“Whaley dynasty”, thanks. I’m going to steal that for the XFL years.:D

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

What was the name of the guy that made that trade for Hughes?

Buddy Nix.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2013/04/29/bills-trade-lb-kelvin-sheppard-colts-lb-jerry-hughes

Edited by Rico

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not arguing Buckner shouldn't have a higher grade than Shaq. He obviously should. But I don't think you can give an A at this stage to a person who has had one good year and two bad ones.  Judged just on 2018 Buckner might be an A. But on body of work over 3 years how can he have the same grade as Jalen Ramsey? Makes no sense. 

Did Buckner have 2 "bad" years?    I think he had 2 modest seasons but he was available and making a ton of tackles for a DL.    I think bad is an overstatement.    He was a higher ceiling prospect than Shaq but I think Shaq was considered closer to his ceiling on arrival.    And that's the way it appears to be playing out for Buckner at least.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did Buckner have 2 "bad" years?    I think he had 2 modest seasons but he was available and making a ton of tackles for a DL.    I think bad is an overstatement.    He was a higher ceiling prospect than Shaq but I think Shaq was considered closer to his ceiling on arrival.    And that's the way it appears to be playing out for Buckner at least.

Yep. Look at the respective AVs for Buckner and Shaq:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LawsSh00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BuckDe00.htm

@GunnerBill- Lawson had 8 qb hits in his first two seasons and Buckner had 40. That's a huge disparity.

Edited by dave mcbride

50 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah - i mean... had a great year ago.  Wasn't drafted ahead of ramsey or Bosa.  An argument could be made that he should have been in the top 5 picks.  

The trade-ups for QBs moved him down, but he's a really good player.

Seems like he's just good enough to avoid being cut but not quite good enough to attract any decent trade offers. In fairness, though, Shaq was drafted to be part of Rex's 3-4 defense. Who knows - with a competent DC, he might fare better in a 3-4.

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Fair grade.  I expected more from a first round DE.  It's amusing to me that this board in general is more harsh on Zay Jones (a 2nd round pick) than Shaq Lawson.

Fair point.

I think people are not as tough on Lawson so much because he's a leftover from the Wrecks regime.

I would give Lawson a "C". He's been disappointing for where he was drafted, but he is not a disaster. Some of the grades in this article are terrible. Jared Goff & DeForest Buckner both get A grades?

I guess Vernon Butler will be a Bill soon.

20 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

NFL.com graded all of the selections from the 2016 NFL Draft including Shaq Lawson.

Unfortunately Doug Whaley and company are given one of the lowest grades for Lawson.  He ended up with a D+ which is only marginally better than the F scores given to major busts like Paxston Lynch or Corey Coleman.  

Heres the breakdown on Shaq:

Grade: D+ | School: Clemson 

The Bills drafted Lawson despite concerns over an existing shoulder injury that eventually required offseason surgery and landed him on the PUP list to start the 2016 campaign. In the past two seasons, Lawson has started 16 total games while totaling eight sacks. He has good play strength and handles run duties effectively, but his lack of consistent pressure as a rusher helps make this a below-average pick at No. 19.

Reports out of training camp have been encouraging so hopefully Shaq puts together a good season, but he has never really planned out during his first 3 seasons

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041302/article/2016-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-three-years-in

I remember when they drafted him, his profile said he had just one pass rush move. I’d say he hasn’t done very well developing any other moves.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Fair point.

I think people are not as tough on Lawson so much because he's a leftover from the Wrecks regime.

I would give Lawson a "C". He's been disappointing for where he was drafted, but he is not a disaster. Some of the grades in this article are terrible. Jared Goff & DeForest Buckner both get A grades?

I guess Vernon Butler will be a Bill soon.

Goff deserves an A even if you think he's solely the product of McVay's system and choked in the Superbowl.  The last two years Goff threw for a combined 60 TD's and 19 INT's with a 63.5% completion percentage and a QB rating of 100.5 while making the pro bowl each year.  

Buckner I agree with as he's more of a B/B+ grade with his breakout year coming last year.

5 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

When both Hall of Famers the Bills drafted at WR were 4th round picks and two of the biggest busts in Bills drafting history were 1st round picks, it kind of runs counter to your argument. 

I know one you’re talking about is Andre Reed.  Who’s the other?

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think C- / D+ is the right territory. Shaq isn't a bust he can play. But he is a disappointment as a #19 overall pick. If you take C as the "standard" production expected to be a successful pick then Shaq falls just below that.  

I think some of the other grades are off though. Leonard Floyd would be the same grade as Shaq for me and DeForest Buckner is an A because he had one good season after two awful ones? Come on. 

Karl Joseph and Darron Lee are graded too high. Ryan Kelly and Taylor Decker too low. 

I think once you're out of the top 5, maybe 10, just getting a solid contributor for a few years would be a successful pick. I thought he played well last season and I thought he looked very good in the first preseason game. If he plays well this season, that's a B grade.  I doubt the Bills sign him because of the cost of a 2nd contract, but Shaq will almost definitely be in the league a few more years barring some drastic change in his game or injury.

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yep. Look at the respective AVs for Buckner and Shaq:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LawsSh00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BuckDe00.htm

@GunnerBill- Lawson had 8 qb hits in his first two seasons and Buckner had 40. That's a huge disparity.

Whoa. I was never comparing Shaq to Buckner. Shaq is graded about right. Buckner's grade for me is too high. The two things are entirely independent of each other. I would give Buckner a B maybe a B-. He has been a lot better than Shaq and I never sought to argue differently. I just don't think he is an A grade unless I am only grading 2018. 

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Whoa. I was never comparing Shaq to Buckner. Shaq is graded about right. Buckner's grade for me is too high. The two things are entirely independent of each other. I would give Buckner a B maybe a B-. He has been a lot better than Shaq and I never sought to argue differently. I just don't think he is an A grade unless I am only grading 2018. 

I think dave is pointing out that there is a lot bigger divide between the two than you appear to acknowledge.

You are basically saying Bucker is a 79-80 grade and Shaq is a 69-70 grade..............they aren't that close to this point.............Buckner checks a lot of boxes that Shaq has not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think dave is pointing out that there is a lot bigger divide between the two than you appear to acknowledge.

You are basically saying Bucker is a 79-80 grade and Shaq is a 69-70 grade..............they aren't that close to this point.............Buckner checks a lot of boxes that Shaq has not.

I don't know about what D+ normally means in American education grading systems but it certainly doesn't mean 69-70 under any English grading systems. It means 45. 

Where I am from a B is about 75. So that is the reality of where I am actually putting them. 

Edited by GunnerBill

I think posters here are confusing a draft grade on a particular draft selection with a grade on how well a player performs compared to their peers.

It is not just a player's performance compared to their peers.

It is look back at how others who were also available at the slot he was drafted at, and a comparison of how well they also performed at their position.

It also is affected by what the expectations of the team and the fans were when he was drafted. And how well he met them.

It also depends on how high the player was drafted. And any other draft capital expended by his team to draft him when they did.

He is a solid player at his position. He is about average when just taking his actual performance on the field. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a solid, average player in the NFL. The NFL is the best of the best.

It is expectations and comparisons that he has no control over or don't reflect directly on him that affect the draft grade. It is more of a hindsight judgment and grade on the management of the team that drafted him, not on his own performance or ability.

Edited by simpleman

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know about what D+ normally means in American education grading systems but it certainly doesn't mean 69-70 under any English grading systems. It means 45. 

Where I am from a B is about 75. So that is the reality of where I am actually putting them. 

D+ in american grading is basically 68 percent. B is an 85, and A is 95.