2016 NFL Draft Grades: Shaq Lawson Is Graded at a D+

8 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Just curious but what are you a big fan of? I really don't see a high motor on the kid and he plays end in a pass rush league yet has done very little to show pass rush skills. I am certainly rooting for him as a fan but I just haven't seen much to make me an optimist. He certainly isn't twitchy like Jerry to make me think he will suddenly find his pass rush skills. Honestly not ripping you, just wondering what I am missing that some others may be seeing.

The jerry comparison was just cause they’re both first round picks. They’re much different players I agree. Watching shaq reminds me of Charles Johnson when I used to watch the panthers play (my nephew was a huge fan of them) He wasn’t amazing the first couple years either. 

Jerry is great, one of the best speed rushers in the game. I think his rush skills actually hurt Lawson’s game. In years past jerry speed rushes, the quarterback steps up right into that zone jerry leave wide open with his speed rush as jerry gets pushed farther back and loops around. If the defensive tackles don’t penetrate the quarterback has a decent amount of time to throw. That leaves Lawson or whoever is on that end having to come across the whole line to get to the quarterback. Mario had the speed to get there for a pressure, shaq does not. He stops his rush and tries to get his hands up which has actually been very effective and is just as important as a pressure. Hopefully adding Oliver fixes that issue and when the quarterbacks go for that open pocket the defensive tackle is there. What jerry does should lead to tons of sacks for the other end or the DT’s but we have lacked skill in the middle. I think shaq has the skill to get sacks and pressures but he needs the quarterback in the actual pocket or on Shaqs side of the line. Him and Murphy both have a ton to prove this season. 

1 hour ago, saundena said:

I think D+ is a little harsh.  C+ seems about right to me. I expect him to be a very solid contributor this year

If C is average, I’d say it’s fair to hit him as average to below average, without doing a deep dive for bust rates to compare. 

Dudes a solid player even if not spectacular but to take a guy with a known injury that wipes out a year of his 4 with you...well, he has to be good in the other 3 to make up for either the risk calculations or flubbed medical exam. 

I get that any guy guy could go tear an ACL the day after the draft but with a known injury there’s got to be an expectation of more upside with the added risk. He was on my shortlist with the assumption he wasn’t a medical risk- so it’s not that I had hard feelings or dislike his play today either.

Edited by NoSaint

31 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Anyone got JJ Watt's draft grade?

I actually think Rex got duped because of his Clemson connection.

I'm not sure anyone really needed to dupe Rex.  He's just an idiot that was in way over his head.  If his old man hadn't had a successful NFL coaching career, he would have been lucky to be a beer vendor in a stadium.  What a waste of two seasons for the Bills.

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Because our offense NEEDS a great WR and he just is very inconsistent. We need consistency to win... Lawson can be replaced but not a guy who was supposed to be a stable pass catching machine.

A great WR would be nice but it's rare to find one in the 2nd round.  I expected more from Jones up to this point too as you'd expect a 2nd round pick at WR to be a solid #2 option.  Lawson was a first round pick and the general consensus at the time was he was a steal that we got him that far back in the 1st round because of his injury.  He's been more disappointing than Jones  to this point and the overall sentiment on this board suggests the opposite.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

D+ is more than fair for Shaq to this point.

I don't know about using "standard production" as a basis.........in no world has Shaq's production not been VERY disappointing.  

I think you need to use the first round to draft studs and even if that means getting some busts you don't take the average when grading as much as you pick the studs who end up in pro bowls and all pro lists and base the comparison there.    The Pro Bowl is basically a who's who of early round picks for a reason.    In a matchup league the difference between extraordinary and average is a chasm.

By comparison A for Buckner is reasonable.

Shaq's career totals for tackles and QB hits are just an average season for Buckner and he's evolved into a legit star now.

I mean a guy that big with 70 tackles and 10+ sacks?   That's what you want.

And Buckner has been durable.

I am not arguing Buckner shouldn't have a higher grade than Shaq. He obviously should. But I don't think you can give an A at this stage to a person who has had one good year and two bad ones.  Judged just on 2018 Buckner might be an A. But on body of work over 3 years how can he have the same grade as Jalen Ramsey? Makes no sense. 

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he is a straight C

Right.  A guy who plays essentially full time in his scheme is a C. A D is a guy on the team who can't see the field.  

Pity is that Shaq could end up with a really nice 10 year career and he will always be remembered as ad D because he wasn't some sackmaster right out of the gate.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is so stupid.  The question should not be "How did Shaq do as a first rounder." The questions should be "Was Shaq the best player available at a position of need at 19?"  If he is not, the next question should be "how far off were they."  

As far as I can tell, there was 1 or 2 DEs that have done better than Shaq after he was drafted.  It wasn't nearly as bad a pick as "D+" or even "C."

51 minutes ago, skibum said:

I feel like Shaq has always made a positive contribution on the field. Who cares when he was drafted three years ago. Why is this even remotely important? 

It isnt important but it's interesting.  It's one way to evaluate your teams gm and how he drafted.  

If you're drafting Shaq in the first round every year, you're hurting for talent.  Like how about Maybin, Spiller, Manuel, Dareus, Watkins, Shaq?  How'd that work out?

Look how much better the team looks when you draft White, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver and Cody.  

Drafting matters.  That's why people talk about Shaq.  

11 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Who cares.  It's three years later, when we should be judging him for better or worse.

Bean/Mcd judged him already...no 5th year option.  Shaq knows he is playing for his next contract.  Unless he has a breakout year, he will get a prove it contract somewhere for one year.  History of performance says that won't go well, and he won't make 10 yrs in the league imho.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It isnt important but it's interesting.  It's one way to evaluate your teams gm and how he drafted.  

If you're drafting Shaq in the first round every year, you're hurting for talent.  Like how about Maybin, Spiller, Manuel, Dareus, Watkins, Shaq?  How'd that work out?

Look how much better the team looks when you draft White, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver and Cody.  

Drafting matters.  That's why people talk about Shaq.  

Yeah, but your point assumes that had they not drafted Shaw, they would have drafted some other better player.  So, who is the other player we would have drafted that would have been a better contributor?