Lee Smith mentoring Tommy Sweeney, even if it costs him his job

YoloinOhio

WEO, you're an odd duck.  I have no idea why you find it so important to belittle an article talking about how a veteran is helping a rookie.  No, Lee Smith isn't an all-pro TE but he has stuck around in the NFL this long for a reason, and if you really think there's nothing he can provide to Sweeney I don't know what to say.  Just a bizarre take.  The article, and Smith's actions, are an affirmation of the culture McD and Beane are trying to create.

• Like (+1) 4

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look, the kid has been exposed to blocking and taught to block.  Lee Smith might show him a few pointers, and that's nice.  I want this kid to be a pass catcher,  not some 90's style TE galloot

Lol, this is so weird. Do you think they don't practice catching the ball and running routes in addition to blocking? 

Did the article say that Sweeny only gets his instructions from Smith? 

“Once you get labeled and once people, especially in the media, decide that you’re this or you’re that then that just kind of becomes what’s written about,” Smith said. “But I promise you one thing right now: Tommy Sweeney is not just a blocking tight end. Maybe I am but he’s not. The kid can run, he gets in and out of his breaks - I mean he’s not making plays against the threes out here he’s playing plays against the ones. That’s our one defense and they were second in the league, if I’m not mistaken. He’s a good football player in both aspects of the game and he works his butt off.”

Does that help?

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Lol, this is so weird. Do you think they don't practice catching the ball and running routes in addition to blocking? 

Did the article say that Sweeny only gets his instructions from Smith? 

Does that help?

No I'm totally on board with Sweeney--more so than Knox. 

The quote you provided bolsters my point.  The kid has been coached. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

WEO, you're an odd duck.  I have no idea why you find it so important to belittle an article talking about how a veteran is helping a rookie.  No, Lee Smith isn't an all-pro TE but he has stuck around in the NFL this long for a reason, and if you really think there's nothing he can provide to Sweeney I don't know what to say.  Just a bizarre take.  The article, and Smith's actions, are an affirmation of the culture McD and Beane are trying to create.

I know everything is reduced by some here as the FO's "culture", but I see this as another in a long line of issues with the Bills and the TE position. 

In February, the Bills had Croom and Clay on the roster.

Since then these men have appeared as TE hopefuls:

Kroft

Jake Fisher (lol)

Knox

Sweeney

Smith

Moral Stephens

Mik'Quan Deane

Nate Becker

Keith Towbridge

That's 11 guys---and all before training camp.   

Bringing back a backup TE you let go 5 years ago doesn't seem like a solid process.  "Feel good" stories are nice in July and August.  Not so much by December.  If Lee's main value to the process is teaching blocking, then make him TE coach.

@Mr. WEO yeah, not really the point.  Smith is a respected veteran and if he's imparting some of his NFL wisdom to a rookie it's very difficult to cast a negative spin upon that scenario.  The article isn't about who will play TE for the Bills or how much trouble they've had with injuries/poor talent.

27 minutes ago, eball said:

@Mr. WEO yeah, not really the point.  Smith is a respected veteran and if he's imparting some of his NFL wisdom to a rookie it's very difficult to cast a negative spin upon that scenario.  The article isn't about who will play TE for the Bills or how much trouble they've had with injuries/poor talent.

No but my comment was.

Smith is a nice guy, but bringing him back at this point in his career seems like typical Bills FO flailing at the TE spot.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No but my comment was.

Smith is a nice guy, but bringing him back at this point in his career seems like typical Bills FO flailing at the TE spot.

Actually, what it seems like is that they have some very specific formations in mind that will utilize his unique skill set.  

4 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Actually, what it seems like is that they have some very specific formations in mind that will utilize his unique skill set.  

Running plays and max protect if the O-line turns out to be sketchy.

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

4.4 million guaranteed to block a few snaps a game.

I was referring to the one who refers to himself in the third person.

He's signed for 3 years.  But I'm sure you knew that.

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No but my comment was.

They drafted 2.  His job is to be a blocker and he's one of the best in the game.  It's not a big deal.

If anyone can catch a Josh Allen 70 mph football it’s Sweeney. When you watch a few of his games he makes some spectacular catches. If he was just more athletic he would be a pro bowl TE. His hands and blocking will keep him employed in the NFL for a long time. He is also a amazing route runner and just has that ability to get open on a blitz. 

Im hoping to see Sweeney and Knox on a lot of 2 TE formations

4 hours ago, Doc said:

He's signed for 3 years.  But I'm sure you knew that.

They drafted 2.  His job is to be a blocker and he's one of the best in the game.  It's not a big deal.

4.4 million gaa-roan-teed, doc.

He won't be around to collect all 9.  Capiche now?

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

4.4 million gaa-roan-teed, doc.

He won't be around to collect all 9.  Capiche now?

He'll probably be there for 2 years and will make about $3.4M/year.  If he can help as a blocker and teach the younger guys stuff, it's money well-spent and hardly a bank-breaker considering salaries these days.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He would be the most expensive position coach in history 

I’m on record saying Sweeney will be the real rookie TE value

You may be onto something.

Felt he was great pick with big upside potential.

The two drafted TEs take us into the future i will be delighted

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

He'll probably be there for 2 years and will make about $3.4M/year.  If he can help as a blocker and teach the younger guys stuff, it's money well-spent and hardly a bank-breaker considering salaries these days.

he will earn his money.

Good investment imho

Kroft on the other Hand ...

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Sunshower said:

I like Sweeney. I think he is more than a blocking TE. Not saying he’ll be an All Pro but I think he is better than where he was drafted.

Me too. I was stoked ro see him there when we picked him. 

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

...wasn't that Tolbert's role as well?....teaching and LR stability?.......almost think it may be the same for DiMarco( STILL not sure of his role), but with an AARP backfield, he's hardly the "vet presence"...LOL....