Lee Smith mentoring Tommy Sweeney, even if it costs him his job

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Lee Smith can't teach another TE to block?

Look, the kid has been exposed to blocking and taught to block.  Lee Smith might show him a few pointers, and that's nice.  I want this kid to be a pass catcher,  not some 90's style TE galloot

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That defines his career to this point.

Agreed, but “blending in” also means not conspicuously sucking by whiffing on blocks, etc. Clay struck me as awful at both blocking and pass catching last year. There’s something to be said for being competent as a blocking TE too. Croon is no blocker either. More of a big receiver. And O’Leary?  No.  I guess what I’m saying is two cheers for Lee Smith. Welcome back, buddy. 

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed, but “blending in” also means not conspicuously sucking by whiffing on blocks, etc. Clay struck me as awful at both blocking and pass catching last year. There’s something to be said for being competent as a blocking TE too. Croon is no blocker either. More of a big receiver. And O’Leary?  No.  I guess what I’m saying is two cheers for Lee Smith. Welcome back, buddy. 

Croom and O’Leary were are mostly useless as receivers too.

Hey if Lee could take 9 million from Beane at this point in his career as a one dimensional (not the receiving type) TE,  well, God bless him.  Hats off 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look, the kid has been exposed to blocking and taught to block.  Lee Smith might show him a few pointers, and that's nice.  I want this kid to be a pass catcher,  not some 90's style TE galloot

I want him to be a complete TE.  Smith can help him become a better blocker because he's one of the best and he realizes he's just a blocker.  Doesn't mean Sweeney can't develop as a pass catcher as well.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I want him to be a complete TE.  Smith can help him become a better blocker because he's one of the best and he realizes he's just a blocker.  Doesn't mean Sweeney can't develop as a pass catcher as well.

What if "Lee Smith" isn''t any good at teaching about blocking to another TE?  Where has he done that before?