How many practice squad QB's ever became legitimate NFL QB's

This board did a good job of naming many QBs that were 3rd string, undrafted, PS, or balckedballed because of race and ultimately ended up startign anf winning some games. Obvioulys only a few are HOF or would even be considered very good. But for a time they were good enough to win.

It just reinforces my belief that GM's know nothing more than the average guy.  They can't predict with a high degree of certainty a Romo (not even going to mention Brady) any more than they can a Blackledge, Couch, Akili Smith, and any one of another 100 high round QB busts.  

A team should draft or sign a QB every year.  Even if they have a Brady or Favre

David Woodley - 8th round draft pick and 4th on depth chart to start his career.  

I didn;t know he died so young. Age 44 from liver failure.

8 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

It’s difficult to get more overlooked than not drafted not signed, but let’s split hairs.

The point was not about getting overlooked. It was a question about the merits of "stashing". If a guy was never on a PS he is not relevant to that conversation however overlooked he was. 

This thread has devolved into nonsense.

To the OP's point, few if any. A few examples were pointed out.

As an analyst I'm trying to figure out what the OP, or my customer meant.

If the question is why Tyree on the PS?, that is a different question than will T Jackson become a successful starter in the league?

Two totally different questions.

Will Tyree become a stater if Buffalo stashes him on the PS. No, 99.8% no.

Does Tyree offer a backup aka 'poor mans' version of your starting QB that can be developed to fill in for a game without changing the offense Yes, yes he does.

For that reason alone he will earn a PS position if he shows anything in preseason.

Edited by RocCityRoller

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The point was not about getting overlooked. It was a question about the merits of "stashing". If a guy was never on a PS he is not relevant to that conversation however overlooked he was. 

You're focusing on one word and missing everything else.

My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody.

So, what's more impressive? A player stashed, since that's your hang up, or a player who wasn't drafted in the first place?  I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The question is flawed because it only captures more recent NFL history.  Practice Squads were invented to prevent teams from stashing players on injured reserve. 

I'd like to see Tyree Jackson on the PS . His size and speed are good for a TE if he can't develop as a QB . He has a heck of a arm like Allen.

Jackson needs a full time one on one coach for either position. I think he has good potential.

Edited by ALF

28 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You're focusing on one word and missing everything else.

So, what's more impressive? A player stashed, since that's your hang up, or a player who wasn't drafted in the first place?  I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

But that is not what this thread is about. It is specifically asking about the merit of the idea of "stashing" Quarterbacks on the PS. 

25 minutes ago, GG said:

The question is flawed because it only captures more recent NFL history.  Practice Squads were invented to prevent teams from stashing players on injured reserve. 

That is a fairer point. It does give a recency bias. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is literally the question that the OP asked. 

Not quite Bill, though he did mention stashing.

His question was, " My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody."

Still, play on.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, oldmanfan said:

Others have mentioned a few.  You can go back to Johnny Unitas playing semi-pro ball in Pittsburgh.  To me the point is that, while it's a longshot, it's still a shot.  So if you see a kid like Jackson that has some raw physical skills, why not put him on the practice squad and take some time with him

Agreed, and to the bolded part of your point, Jackson has the physical tools that Allen has; just not the polish, practice, and understanding. He's a big-armed athlete who is willing to work hard, is malleable, and has a good, team-first attitude. 

I think back to the whole Peterman debacle, and we can all poke holes in that charade, but one point that people don't really discuss is that the OC (Rico) essentially had to develop two different game styles for Peterman and Allen. That makes for a steeper learning curve and leaves less time for the offense to learn each style. 

With a PS candidate like Jackson, at least the script will read the same, if Tyree gets tossed in there. I also think Daboll is Mozart to Rico's penny whistle cover of "You Are My Sunshine", but that's another story, altogether ?.

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever
Typo

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not quite Bill, though he did mention stashing.

His question was, " My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody."

Still, play on.

The first line of his post makes it abundantly clear he is talking about it in the context of whether there is value in stashing. The OP himself has later confirmed that in the thread. 

If we want to have a conversation about who the best undrafted QBs of all time are that is fine. But it is a different discussion. People objecting to Moon or other non Practice Squad guys being excluded are, I am afraid, missing the point. 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The first line of his post makes it abundantly clear he is talking about it in the context of whether there is value in stashing. The OP himself has later confirmed that in the thread. 

If we want to have a conversation about who the best undrafted QBs of all time are that is fine. But it is a different discussion. People objecting to Moon or other non Practice Squad guys being excluded are, I am afraid, missing the point. 

Guess we'll have to disagree on that.

Looks to me like that first line is only setting the scene by mentioning the far from definite possibility that Tyree might end up there.

It wasn't his question. And, respectfully, even if it had been, discussing non-practice squad guys isn't really off the point. Putting a guy on the practice squad is a tactical decision affected by many different things, and I think the interest would be much the same if Tyree just gets cut and then gets picked up elsewhere, or gets brought back to the roster next year.

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

my question was meant to discuss whether it is really worthwhile to use a PS spot on a developmental QB, or is there an opportunity cost to that, if in fact a PS qb almost never goes on to be a serviceable starter or backup, as indeed seems to be the case based on those who provided relevant answers, (thanks), and perhaps it is more worthwhile to use those 10 PS spots on other positions that have shown a greater historical ability to make an active roster as a starter or back-up. 

The reason I think the guys who were never on practice squads are irrelevant to the topic is because there's one important element about getting on a practice squad that the non-practice squad players don't have.  In order to be placed on a practice squad, a player has to be waived & clear waivers. Now, as someone mentioned earlier, a lot of GMs are guessing when they draft/sign a college QB, that is not the case once the player is in camp & you see what you've got.  Since QBs are treated like gold, if a QB shows potential in camp/preseason a team will be too afraid of losing that player by exposing him to waivers & the rest of the league.  It was no accident that NE kept 4 QBs in Brady's rookie year.  They saw enough that they weren't going to take any chance that someone would put in a waiver claim.  The same is true with most rookie late round or UFA QBs-if they show enough potential so that the team is afraid of losing them to another team, they won't get cut-hence, they'll never be on a practice squad.  That's why a guy like Romo, who was an undrafted FA is not a viable answer to the original question.  Nor are all the other undrafteds mentioned.   

1 hour ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

my question was meant to discuss whether it is really worthwhile to use a PS spot on a developmental QB, or is there an opportunity cost to that, if in fact a PS qb almost never goes on to be a serviceable starter or backup, as indeed seems to be the case based on those who provided relevant answers, (thanks), and perhaps it is more worthwhile to use those 10 PS spots on other positions that have shown a greater historical ability to make an active roster as a starter or back-up. 

Yep. I thought your intention was pretty clear. Wasn't a lot of room for ambiguity to me. But there we go others have read it differently.