How many practice squad QB's ever became legitimate NFL QB's

19 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

There has been a lot of talk about 'stashing'  QB Tyree Jackson on the practice squad as a developmental qb.  My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody.

Considering the practice squad is a relatively recent addition - I think you have to include looking at guys that played things NFL Europe as that was a pseudo practice squad.  The numbers are not huge, but there are several that have gone on to have legitimate careers.  

I am sure someone will point out the Romo’s and the Warner’s, but there have been others that have been back-ups.

It is a great spot to learn, but the guys going there are not the cream of the crop and therefore the expectation that they will become anything should be low.

I think all of these guys were definitely 3rd string, which in todays NFL would be PS:

Mark Brunnell 

Trent Green 

Aaron Brooks 

Stan Humphries 

Jeff Blake 

I think these were all Pro-Bowl picks before it was a complete joke.  I guess you can tell the era I came up with as a kid.

We need to expand a bit on the definition of "legitimate QB" that is being used in here.  If a practice squad guy eventually turns into a good backup, I'd call that a victory.  Is there a list of Frank Reich-type guys out there who started out as practice squad guys.  And yes, I know Reich wasn't, I just use him as an example of the elite backup.

It's not out of the realm of possibility for a guy to develop from the PS, but certainly the odds are against it.  After watching Tyree, I have my doubts he will be in the league much longer.  He's an athlete, but if he wants to stick, he may need to take up route running.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

like who?

Not sure yet, but there will be more than a handful of guys cut in the next few weeks.  I would prefer we grab the best one of that group we can if we do keep one on the PS. If we kept Tyree, it would not be stashing since every other NFL team had a chance at him and passed.  

On 8/14/2019 at 12:40 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

There are the two best ones that come to mind. 

Its clearly a low percentage play.

Brady was nearly a PS guy his rookie year. 

I was going to post this but made sure nobody else did first.  Nice to see someone did.  He started his rookie season as the 4th string so essentially he was a practice squad player.  

On 8/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

I have a problem with the accepted Moon story that racism & nobody willing to take a shot on a black QB is why he went to Canada.  My evidence against him is that the same year Warren Moon came out of college, Doug Williams, a black QB out of Grambling, was drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft.  Moon signed with the CFL before the NFL draft was held.  Moon never gave any NFL team a chance to take a shot on him.  

Thank-you.  It's crazy that nobody knows this.  Look at Moons college stats and you'll see the real reason he wasn't drafted.  He didn't actually play that much.  Threw for 1,500 yards and 11 TD's in his most and really only productive season.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:12 PM, whatdrought said:

Good points. I think a minor league, or farm system would be a huge help for QB. We have such a pre-concieved line wherein on one side (usually on the small side of the fourth round) a QB is expected to start right away and play great, while on the other side they're seen as someone who will never be an NFL starter. There doesn't seem to be much development these days. 

Someone should start another league.  They could even call it the AAF.?

On 8/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

I have a problem with the accepted Moon story that racism & nobody willing to take a shot on a black QB is why he went to Canada.  My evidence against him is that the same year Warren Moon came out of college, Doug Williams, a black QB out of Grambling, was drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft.  Moon signed with the CFL before the NFL draft was held.  Moon never gave any NFL team a chance to take a shot on him.  

It was totally accepted as a fact at the time that a black QB might as well forget an NFL career. As obvious as the air one breathed.

On a rare occasion a chance was given.

Williams had one of the strongest arms in the history of football and John McKay was desperate and counterintuitive with the Bucs that it wasn’t a surprise he made this wise move.

I think you're overestimating the importance fans place on stashing Jackson away on the practice squad. No reasonable fan would EXPECT Jackson to be some kind of starter. It's more of a low risk/high reward move that almost certainly won't bear real fruit. The question is; why not? I just don't see it as a big deal.