How many practice squad QB's ever became legitimate NFL QB's

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jake Delhomme

And the problem is even on the practice squad, you aren’t getting game level reps against NFL caliber players. If the NFL could figure out a minor league, a lot more qbs would have a chance of succeeding.  We expect rookies to just light up the nfl right assuming and then get rid of them the second they stumble. 

QB is the hardest position in all of sports and these kids have been playing it since they were kids

The cream always rises in football. I don't think a minor league would produce more good QBs.. because 95% with any talent are drafted and tried to be developed

They either have it or they don't

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

There has been a lot of talk about 'stashing'  QB Tyree Jackson on the practice squad as a developmental qb.  My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody.

Others have mentioned a few.  You can go back to Johnny Unitas playing semi-pro ball in Pittsburgh.  To me the point is that, while it's a longshot, it's still a shot.  So if you see a kid like Jackson that has some raw physical skills, why not put him on the practice squad and take some time with him? 

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You're right Warner was never on the Rams practice squad (or any other teams) 

Warner never played in Canada but did play in Arena football.  Iowa?  Possibly another team too.

3 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

There has been a lot of talk about 'stashing'  QB Tyree Jackson on the practice squad as a developmental qb.  My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody.

League is changing...could say the same for short qb's....way back it was black qb's.....small school qb's.

Used to draft a guy high and he was going to be in there deserved or not. Now because you not financially tied  to them like before there is a better chance this happens. Not happening here though

for the record

Bulger, Tolzein, Delhomme

Edited by CardinalScotts

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Others have mentioned a few.  You can go back to Johnny Unitas playing semi-pro ball in Pittsburgh.  To me the point is that, while it's a longshot, it's still a shot.  So if you see a kid like Jackson that has some raw physical skills, why not put him on the practice squad and take some time with him? 

the necessity of a third arm for practice aside, It appears the shot is so long for a qb, you might be better off using the spot for a position (Foster?) where the historical evidence shows a greater chance  of success. As for having a player available to come in, even to back up in case of injury, would you rather have somebody like Barkley who I believe was on the street, and had minimal time to work with the team before he started, or somebody like Tyree? Maybe it's me, I just don't see any empirical evidence of much value in a PS developmental qb. To those that say why not, what's the harm, there may well be an opportunity cost associated with such a move.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hasselbeck and Romo was where I was going. I don't think Kurt Warner was ever on a PS. He was cut early by the Green Bay Packers having been in camp. He was signed by the Rams to a futures contract then sent to NFL Europe then came back and was 3rd string on the active roster. 

But that was not the question. 

Oh I understand.  Define "practice squad" QB.  I would say 95% of UDFA QBs are picked up to be practice squad players with the hope maybe, maybe they get lucky.  IMO Tyree Jackson was picked up I believe for his local connection, doubt the Bills ever thought he would be anything much more than that, at least for several years and on to another team..  Way too raw.  I guess technically since he went directly to the CFL Moon was never considered a "practice squad" QB.

16 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

the necessity of a third arm for practice aside, It appears the shot is so long for a qb, you might be better off using the spot for a position (Foster?) where the historical evidence shows a greater chance  of success. As for having a player available to come in, even to back up in case of injury, would you rather have somebody like Barkley who I believe was on the street, and had minimal time to work with the team before he started, or somebody like Tyree? Maybe it's me, I just don't see any empirical evidence of much value in a PS developmental qb. To those that say why not, what's the harm, there may well be an opportunity cost associated with such a move.

I see your point., but would counter with a few thoughts.  The harm would potentially be tying up a spot on the PS you might need in case of injury.  Right?  So I'd say a couple things to that.  One, you can go out there any wweek of the regular season and bring in a reserve O lineman if needed jsut as you could a QB.  And I do agree if both Allen and Barkely got hurt you''d do that vs. play Jackson (although I doubt the ultimte outcome would change).   Second, I doubt that if you had a, say, CB on the practice squad his potential for becoming really good is any better or wrose than for a QB. 

I think the QB position is so valued in the league that, if you see a kid you think had even an iota of developing into a produuctive player, you do whatever you can to hold onto him anddevelop him siince it's really hard to find a guy that can play.  Other positions, not so much.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I see your point., but would counter with a few thoughts.  The harm would potentially be tying up a spot on the PS you might need in case of injury.  Right?  So I'd say a couple things to that.  One, you can go out there any wweek of the regular season and bring in a reserve O lineman if needed jsut as you could a QB.  And I do agree if both Allen and Barkely got hurt you''d do that vs. play Jackson (although I doubt the ultimte outcome would change).   Second, I doubt that if you had a, say, CB on the practice squad his potential for becoming really good is any better or wrose than for a QB. 

I think the QB position is so valued in the league that, if you see a kid you think had even an iota of developing into a produuctive player, you do whatever you can to hold onto him anddevelop him siince it's really hard to find a guy that can play.  Other positions, not so much.

totally agree with you, IF potential for ultimate nfl success (however you want to define that) is no greater  off PS  for other positions than it is for QB.  My guess (no evidence), is that is not the case.  

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh I understand.  Define "practice squad" QB.  I would say 95% of UDFA QBs are picked up to be practice squad players with the hope maybe, maybe they get lucky.  IMO Tyree Jackson was picked up I believe for his local connection, doubt the Bills ever thought he would be anything much more than that, at least for several years and on to another team..  Way too raw.  I guess technically since he went directly to the CFL Moon was never considered a "practice squad" QB.

Yea the question was not UDFAs.... it was practice squad players. And the reason we are having the conversation is to debate the premise that you "stash" QBs on the practice squad. So anyone wasn't a PS QB is not really relevant to that discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea the question was not UDFAs.... it was practice squad players. And the reason we are having the conversation is to debate the premise that you "stash" QBs on the practice squad. So anyone wasn't a PS QB is not really relevant to that discussion. 

oh kay, the distinctions to me are rather de minimus but that is just me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That was the point-thanks

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

So already Warren Moon’s story is forgotten or the younger generation knows it and deliberately ignores it when posting here... 

I have a problem with the accepted Moon story that racism & nobody willing to take a shot on a black QB is why he went to Canada.  My evidence against him is that the same year Warren Moon came out of college, Doug Williams, a black QB out of Grambling, was drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft.  Moon signed with the CFL before the NFL draft was held.  Moon never gave any NFL team a chance to take a shot on him.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SNICE said:

Warner never played in Canada but did play in Arena football.  Iowa?  Possibly another team too.

Warner started out in the NFL with Green Bay.  Per Wikipedia, "Warner was competing for a spot against Brett Favre, Mark Brunell, and former Heisman Trophy winner Ty Detmer. While Warner was with the Packers, the head coach was Mike Holmgren, the quarterback coach was Steve Mariucci, and Andy Reid was the offensive assistant."  Warner was cut outright, so no Green Bay PS.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And the problem is even on the practice squad, you aren’t getting game level reps against NFL caliber players. If the NFL could figure out a minor league, a lot more qbs would have a chance of succeeding.  We expect rookies to just light up the nfl right assuming and then get rid of them the second they stumble. 

One nit:  I believe the #3 QB runs the scout team (= this week's opponent) against the starting D on Thursdays.  If you only have 2 active QB's, that means your PS QB is up.  But I'm not going to argue that it's the same as real game playing time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Because technically there’s something called a practice squad.... I’m failing to see the difficulty here. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2