How many practice squad QB's ever became legitimate NFL QB's

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hasselbeck and Romo was where I was going. I don't think Kurt Warner was ever on a PS. He was cut early by the Green Bay Packers having been in camp. He was signed by the Rams to a futures contract then sent to NFL Europe then came back and was 3rd string on the active roster. 

But that was not the question. 

You're right Warner was never on the Rams practice squad (or any other teams) 

25 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I realize the value of just having a third arm for in -season practices. I just think the idea of 'developing'  a qb on the practice squad seems to be pretty unlikely.

it is pretty unlikely but given the importance of the QB position the need for practice reps etc... and the fact that any QB good enough to be a # 2 in this league usually gets snagged if left on a PS means QB's with potential but need time like Tyree, get a PS spot usually

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

it is pretty unlikely but given the importance of the QB position the need for practice reps etc... and the fact that any QB good enough to be a # 2 in this league usually gets snagged if left on a PS means QB's with potential but need time like Tyree, get a PS spot usually

Might not be a bad idea for the NFL to extend PS eligibility for QBs. 

Keep mind that the concept of the Practice Squad hasn't been around forever.  I have been watching football for my entire life and I recall the concept of the PS being created sometime in my adult life.  I did a few Google searches, but was not able to find the year that they first instituted the Practice Squad.  Does anyone know?

As to Tyree, I think it is worth stashing him in the Practice Squad.  He has a lot of physical talent, but is clearly raw and needs time to develop.  If he progresses, you keep him, and if the coaches determine that he just doesn't have it, you can let him go somewhere down the line.  In addition to Tyree's development, it's good to have a 3rd QB to take practice reps and also to have another QB available during a disaster situation where a #1 or #2 QB goes down.

• Like (+1) 1

But apparently, those that get the PS spot seem to go nowhere, with the couple of exceptions mentioned above

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

Might not be a bad idea for the NFL to extend PS eligibility for QBs. 

I had this discussion years ago about allowing teams to develop QBs without worrying about losing them, but the argument was if another team wanted to sign a PS QB and place them on an active roster then you'd be denying a player a chance to better himself in the league by having this protective status unfairly attached to the one position

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

But apparently, those that get the PS spot seem to go nowhere, with the couple of exceptions mentioned above

Yes it is unlikely but again as I said the need for practice reps for the team and the importance of the position usually guarantees 1 PS spot for a QB IMO

8 minutes ago, metbill said:

I doubt Tyree Jackson will be on the list.  I would rather use the spot for someone who has a future at the NFL level, at least who showed in college that the possibility is there.

Yep. Another question is how many QB’s 6’7” or taller have legit made it in the NFL? And no, Brock friggin Osweiler is not one of them.

I had this discussion years ago about allowing teams to develop QBs without worrying about losing them, but the argument was if another team wanted to sign a PS QB and place them on an active roster then you'd be denying a player a chance to better himself in the league by having this protective status unfairly attached to the one position

I’m okay with letting them sign another teams offer. I’m thinking more along the lines of giving QBs 4 seasons of eligibility instead of three since it’s the most difficult position to master. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I realize the value of just having a third arm for in -season practices. I just think the idea of 'developing'  a qb on the practice squad seems to be pretty unlikely.

Maybe you’re looking at developing in the wrong light. Try using preparing instead. 

We have Allen and Barkley on game days. If one is injured you can easily elevate tyree to play. Because he knows the playbook and is prepared from the practice squad. As opposed to throwing out random guys off the street like in years past. I don’t think anyone is expecting to develop him into a pro bowl quarterback one day. Although we are seeing a bit more success stories in all sports of guys looked over as not pro ready 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Good points. I think a minor league, or farm system would be a huge help for QB. We have such a pre-concieved line wherein on one side (usually on the small side of the fourth round) a QB is expected to start right away and play great, while on the other side they're seen as someone who will never be an NFL starter. There doesn't seem to be much development these days. 

This point has been brought up many times here in various discussions, and I totally agree.

I think so many QBs fail at the NFL level because of the "sink or swim" suddenness of the process, and most can't hack it.

But that doesn't mean they don't have the skills to cultivate and turn into a productive QB at the NFL level.

What they need is time and patience, and those would be afforded in a pro development league.

The lack of this is the most glaring omission in the entire NFL entertainment product model, well, along with no sponsorship on uniforms.  Still can't believe they haven't turned that corner!

Edited by Nextmanup

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hasselbeck and Romo was where I was going. I don't think Kurt Warner was ever on a PS. He was cut early by the Green Bay Packers having been in camp. He was signed by the Rams to a futures contract then sent to NFL Europe then came back and was 3rd string on the active roster. 

Warner was bagging groceries at a supermarket when he got another chance...he was out of football

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This point has been brought up many times here in various discussions, and I totally agree.

I think so many QBs fail at the NFL level because of the "sink or swim" suddenness of the process, and most can't hack it.

But that doesn't mean they don't have the skills to cultivate and turn into a productive QB at the NFL level.

What they need is time and patience, and those would be afforded in a pro development league.

The lack of this is the most glaring omission in the entire NFL entertainment product model, well, along with no sponsorship on uniforms.  Still can't believe they haven't turned that corner!

I think we saw that to some degree in Case Keenum in Minnesota and definitely in Rich Gannon going back some years...

Unfortunately in the NFL with GMs and Coaches on such short windows, most dont have the time or patience for guys who can't help them within a year or 2...

I also believe that there are a lot more "system" QBs than most people think where they can play very well within a certain system or with a certain coordinator but outside of this are not very good...perhaps that is Keenum...he was really good in Minnesots and got a big contract with Denver and didnt do so well..m

2 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

There has been a lot of talk about 'stashing'  QB Tyree Jackson on the practice squad as a developmental qb.  My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody.

the other side of all this Tyree Jackson talk to the PS is, there's a good chance some other team in he league will release a QB who the Bills may deem a better development prospect than Jackson and go after him for their PS instead.   People are all worried about guys on the Bills roster slipping through to PS, but every other team is in the same boat. Likely some of their trash will become the Bills or other teams treasure.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So already Warren Moon’s story is forgotten or the younger generation knows it and deliberately ignores it when posting here...