How many practice squad QB's ever became legitimate NFL QB's

There has been a lot of talk about 'stashing'  QB Tyree Jackson on the practice squad as a developmental qb.  My question to all of those who know much more than me, "how many qb's started out on a practice squad and ultimately became a legitimate nfl qb starter or even back-up? I can't think of one, but I certainly could be missing somebody.

1 minute ago, Midwest1981 said:

Tony Romo as well.  He was undrafted in 2003 & didn't play until 2006; I can't imagine he was on the active roster that entire time.

I think he moved up to backup in 2004 or 2005, but yeah, he definitely was PS in 2003.  

Not a long list of QBs for that.  I don't think there's a reason to hang on to him TBH.  

Edited by dneveu

Just now, Midwest1981 said:

Tony Romo as well.  He was undrafted in 2003 & didn't play until 2006; I can't imagine he was on the active roster that entire time.

Correction:  evidently he did play & was active in 2004 & 2005 but didn't throw a single pass.

Just now, dneveu said:

I think he moved up to backup in 2004 or 2005, but yeah, he definitely was PS in 2003.  

Sorry- didn't see you corrected the record before I posted.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Warren Moon, Dave Krieg

No way.  Moon was in Canada and signed with Houston as a coveted free agent & Krieg was 3rd string as a rookie.  I wish people wouldn't just start throwing names out there without looking it up before they post.  

A real QB who was on a practice squad who had a decent career is Matt Hasselbeck who cleared waivers & started the 1998 season on the Packers practice squad.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There’s a sentimental value with tyree some have. But you need 3 qb’s on the roster in some form. It never hurts to have someone young and motivated on the practice squad just in case. The spot tyree would hold it’s not like he’d be taking that spot from a future hall of famer or something

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

No way.  Moon was in Canada and signed with Houston as a coveted free agent & Krieg was 3rd string as a rookie.  I wish people wouldn't just start throwing names out there without looking it up before they post.  

A real QB who was on a practice squad who had a decent career is Matt Hasselbeck who cleared waivers & started the 1998 season on the Packers practice squad.  

My friend neither one got drafted out of college.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

There’s a sentimental value with tyree some have. But you need 3 qb’s on the roster in some form. It never hurts to have someone young and motivated on the practice squad just in case. The spot tyree would hold it’s not like he’d be taking that spot from a future hall of famer or something

I realize the value of just having a third arm for in -season practices. I just think the idea of 'developing'  a qb on the practice squad seems to be pretty unlikely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hasselbeck and Romo was where I was going. I don't think Kurt Warner was ever on a PS. He was cut early by the Green Bay Packers having been in camp. He was signed by the Rams to a futures contract then sent to NFL Europe then came back and was 3rd string on the active roster. 

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

But that was not the question. 

• Like (+1) 4

Jake Delhomme

And the problem is even on the practice squad, you aren’t getting game level reps against NFL caliber players. If the NFL could figure out a minor league, a lot more qbs would have a chance of succeeding.  We expect rookies to just light up the nfl right assuming and then get rid of them the second they stumble. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

And neither ever spent a day on a practice squad.  The question wasn't about undrafted QBs, it was about practice squad QBs.  Also anyone who answered Romo is wrong too.  

I found 2 more legitimate answers to the question besides Matt Hasselbeck.  Both Jake Delhomme and Marc Bulger spent time on practice squads early in their careers.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jake Delhomme

And the problem is even on the practice squad, you aren’t getting game level reps against NFL caliber players. If the NFL could figure out a minor league, a lot more qbs would have a chance of succeeding.  We expect rookies to just light up the nfl right assuming and then get rid of them the second they stumble. 

Good points. I think a minor league, or farm system would be a huge help for QB. We have such a pre-concieved line wherein on one side (usually on the small side of the fourth round) a QB is expected to start right away and play great, while on the other side they're seen as someone who will never be an NFL starter. There doesn't seem to be much development these days.