NFL and Jay-Z Team Up

LB3

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27380099/roc-nation-lead-nfl-entertainment-endeavors

As part of the long-term partnership, Roc Nation will advise on the selection of artists for NFL tentpole events, including the Super Bowl, as well as play a key role in the production and promotion of new music. The NFL's union with Roc Nation kicks off as the league celebrates its 100th season and serves as a commitment from both parties to amplify the league's Inspire Change initiative.

Is this a smart move by the NFL?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ab3d189e69d22101cc6

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not really. Sports used to be a place where everyone came together in fandom regardless of race, gender, or economical background. Every person rooting for their favorite team, together. Now, despite how you they try to spin this "unity" stuff they talk, everything is an avenue for a rift or pushing agendas. This will be no different and the music aspect will now be more one-sided if you want to look at it that way as well. Pushing politics, agendas, and whatever else they try down people's throats because one side feels their stance is the only correct one will just create more issues.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

Not really. Sports used to be a place where everyone came together in fandom regardless of race, gender, or economical background. Every person rooting for their favorite team, together. Now, despite how you they try to spin this "unity" stuff they talk, everything is an avenue for a rift or pushing agendas. This will be no different and the music aspect will now be more one-sided if you want to look at it that way as well. Pushing politics, agendas, and whatever else they try down people's throats because one side feels their stance is the only correct one will just create more issues.

I actually think this was the NFL's way of giving the impression that they are taking a stance without actually taking one. They can either take credit or pass the buck to Roc Nation when they get pushback on certain things.

• Like (+1) 2

Agree with H2o.  Sports and Entertainment used to be a way to escape from political issues.  

Now athletes and celebrities are drawing a dividing line, and forcing the fans to pick which side they are going to support.

Most people would have been OK with Colin Kaepernick if he kept his activism off the football field.  And truth be told, he would probably still have a backup QB job somewhere.  But he (and many other players) screwed up when they decided to use the NFL as a platform for their ideas.  

The term "Social Justice" sounds nice and like something everyone should be able to get behind.  But in reality, it's a partisan/agenda-driven set of ideals.  

If the NFL starts publicly supporting many of these initiatives, it's going to spark a lot of controversy and backlash.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This is an example of tokenism. Got a problem with players upsetting the customers by taking a knee? No problem, hire JayZ and his crew. It’s so typically corporate, like the “official car” or the official “candy bar” of the NFL, but worst of all, it’s disrespectful to those players and demeaning to their cause.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Sargent Hulka said:

This is an example of tokenism. Got a problem with players upsetting the customers by taking a knee? No problem, hire JayZ and his crew. It’s so typically corporate, like the “official car” or the official “candy bar” of the NFL, but worst of all, it’s disrespectful to those players and demeaning to their cause.

Which really shows Jay-Z to be a bit of a sellout. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

We already have issues there won't be more.  The same ones we've had will just be made more stark.  And in terms of sports, see Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, John Carlos, Tommie Smith.  Athletes protesting is nothing new, just like simple minded white supremacists acting a fool isn't new.   

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

We already have issues there won't be more.  The same ones we've had will just be made more stark.  And in terms of sports, see Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, John Carlos, Tommie Smith.  Athletes protesting is nothing new, just like simple minded white supremacists acting a fool isn't new.   

Nothing wrong with players having causes and using their proper platforms for to change things they feel are important. That being said, there's a way to do it, and there's a way to not. A lot of what we see lately is empty posturing. You mentioned Jim Brown- his take on the kneeling situation (not to bring all that into this thread) is really illuminating-- Believe what you believe and strive for change, just do it the right ways. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/08/25/jim-brown-colin-kaepernick-i-dont-desecrate-my-flag-and-my-national-anthem/602349001/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

Nothing wrong with players having causes and using their proper platforms for to change things they feel are important. That being said, there's a way to do it, and there's a way to not. A lot of what we see lately is empty posturing. You mentioned Jim Brown- his take on the kneeling situation (not to bring all that into this thread) is really illuminating-- Believe what you believe and strive for change, just do it the right ways. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/08/25/jim-brown-colin-kaepernick-i-dont-desecrate-my-flag-and-my-national-anthem/602349001/

You mean Jim Brown the women beater?  It’s hilarious what people just get on their morale high horse about.  

FTR, I wouldn’t have kneeled.  I also won’t be more upset about silent protest more than I care the NFL employing scumbags like RI, Mixon, and Tyreek Hill.  So many fake patriots who got more upset about a guy kneeling than a guy getting drafted in the 2nd round after punching a woman. Hypocrisy. 

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That is Jim Brown's opinion.  I respect his opinion.  But like so many others who fell into that particular line of thinking, the protest was  against issues happening that did not reflect the ideals the flag is supposed to represent.  And "the way to protest" will always truly mean "don't protest."   Because no matter  how one chooses to do so, there will always be someone who says, "Not that way."    How about things that are protested being addressed in some meaningful way so there is no need for people to do it?

There was no violence in the protest.  No words spoken during the protest.  No flag burned during the protest.  The man took a knee.  Half the stadium is in the beer line during the anthem.   Folks just didn't want to deal with the what was being protested.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup, this thread went exactly the way I thought it would haha.  

This thread won't go where I thought it would until you let us know how much we'd all love the move if Josh Allen did it.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You mean Jim Brown the women beater?  It’s hilarious what people just get on their morale high horse about.  

FTR, I wouldn’t have kneeled.  I also won’t be more upset about silent protest more than I care the NFL employing scumbags like RI, Mixon, and Tyreek Hill.  So many fake patriots who got more upset about a guy kneeling than a guy getting drafted in the 2nd round after punching a woman. Hypocrisy. 

Oh look, the thoughtful observer has found something else to argue about. 

Don’t pretend to know my motives, you’ll end up looking like a schmuck.

I mentioned Jim brown because the poster I was responding to did first. The kneeling issue isn’t at hand, I merely used the article to reference Brown’s view on athletes protesting. Again, based on context. 

And as far as the domestic abuse situation goes- 2 things

1- nice job changing the subject for no reason, it really goes well with your all too familiar schtick as a pot stirrer. 

2- I have every problem with scum like that in the NFL, and if you’re implying that I don’t (while labeling me a “false patriot”, if indeed you were lumping me in that group) I encourage you to take your bad, biased opinions and shove them back up your ass where you got them.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

That is Jim Brown's opinion.  I respect his opinion.  But like so many others who fell into that particular line of thinking, the protest was  against issues happening that did not reflect the ideals the flag is supposed to represent.  And "the way to protest" will always truly mean "don't protest."   Because no matter  how one chooses to do so, there will always be someone who says, "Not that way."    How about things that are protested being addressed in some meaningful way so there is no need for people to do it?

There was no violence in the protest.  No words spoken during the protest.  No flag burned during the protest.  The man took a knee.  Half the stadium is in the beer line during the anthem.   Folks just didn't want to deal with the what was being protested.

Okay, right... I’m not getting into all of that, and I think we would agree on some things and disagree on others, but my point was merely that you personally stated that folks like Jim brown represent athletes that also take stands (no pun intended) and I was showing that, while that’s true, he has a different view on how to handle some things over what is common now, and over what I imagine would be Jay-Z’s side of the spectrum. 

14 minutes ago, purple haze said:

People are going to act out of the condition of their own heart. White, black, hispanic, asian, indian, whatever. There are people wrong on all sides. Treat people how you would want to be treated. There is a difference between trying to make a difference and trying to force feed the masses.  Hire those with an agenda as such and that usually happens. In turn you will have Newton's 3rd Law basically. I choose to make a difference one day and one person at a time, outside of any public light. That's just me. Make whatever assumptions from that you may like. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1