Bills TC Day 15 (8/14) Joint Practice #2 with Panthers

YoloinOhio

34D3UGIVGZA57EQZCUZQQPDLFQ.jpg

Bills-Panthers joint practice: What did Jerry Hughes do at end of hot practice? (5 observations)

1. Hughes assuming a larger leadership role

When Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams retired following the 2018 season the best guesses for who would assume his leadership void were linebacker Lorenzo Alexander and safety Micah Hyde.

Both Hyde and Alexander lead in their own way, as Williams did for more than a decade from the interior of the Buffalo d-line. But Hughes’ approach to leadership is more about accountability and pushing those around him by the way he approaches the game.

“(Jerry’s) passion is not just for the first team. He’s getting after the second group, the third group, and making sure that our standard is being adhered to,” Frazier said. “You love that in Jerry. You love that passion and that hunger he has. And you’re right, it raises the level of play of the other players we have.”

5. Cam Lewis pushing Lafayette Pitts

Buffalo sports fans are familiar with undrafted rookie cornerback Cam Lewis, who starred at the University at Buffalo.

He’s been making some noise during training camp and has worked his way up from the third team to the second team over the course of training camp.

He came down with an interception in practice on Tuesday and then tipped a ball that was picked off by linebacker Deon Lacey on Wednesday.

“I think Cam has been a pleasant surprise throughout camp. For an undrafted guy to come in and compete the way he has (has impressed us),” Frazier said. "He played well in that first ballgame against Indianapolis. He’s done a really good job.

Don’t count out veteran cornerback Lafayette Pitts just yet, though. Frazier has always liked Pitts’ versatility.

“He’s finished games for us. He’s a really good core special teams player,” he said. “Those guys are battling for a roster spot and we’ll see how it unfolds over the next few week

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

For some reason he's only is able to tweet when Allen has a bad day. Go figure. 

He's in the "if you can't say anything bad, don't say anything at all" camp. 

This doesn't come off like he's disappointed he couldn't be more negative at all.

Also for some reason he didn't post his stats like he did those other times.

4f5793ff-0092-4cec-b0fb-5c5a4b415f5d-AP_

5 takeaways from Day II of the Buffalo Bills' practice with the Carolina Panthers

Tremaine Edmunds passed a big test

The second-year middle linebacker, who just this past May became legal to buy an adult beverage, continues to impress this summer, and if there was one play in these two practices that gave you an indication of what he’s capable of, it happened about halfway through Wednesday’s session.

Not that it was the only play Edmunds made, but it certainly deserved a gold star. Pro Bowl tight end Greg Olsen, one of the best in the business, ran a route toward the right sideline and Edmunds had him covered off the line, then ran with him without falling for the fake Olsen tried, and Edmunds was able to break up Cam Newton’s well-thrown pass.

“Greg Olsen is one of the best pass-receiving tight ends in the National Football League, so to see (Edmunds) run down the field stride for stride and make a play like he did, you go, 'Wow,'” said defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

“This is only his second season in the league against a guy like that. The sky’s the limit for what he’s capable of being able to do.”

Edmunds is a freakish athlete for a man 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, but Frazier said the one part of his game that needed work was one-on-one pass coverage. Clearly, the work is paying off.

“The reports have all been positive, and his maturation over the last few weeks has been tremendous,” said Frazier. “We talked about that prior to his going away on summer break. You can see by the way he’s practicing he’s improved in that area.

That’s who he is. He’s one of those guys who’s going to work on any perceived weakness that he has. The results are what we’re seeing now.”

6671984d-792c-4d7d-a9ac-d82093da9693-AP_

Josh Allen to Cole Beasley: Get used to it

I thought Allen started slowly but got better as the practice went on Wednesday, and part of that was because his receivers started to win on some of their routes. 

When I say started slowly, I mean with everyone except Beasley, who has without question become Allen’s favorite target, and I don’t think that will change moving forward.

Beasley said that even though he missed so much time in the spring recovering from core muscle surgery, he and Allen have quickly formed a bond in training camp and it just seems like whenever Allen needs him, Beasley is available.

One of the keys to the Bills offense will be the option routes that are Beasley’s bread and butter, and we saw plenty of those succeed against the Panthers. One reason is that Allen and Beasley are starting to see coverages the same way, and Allen is delivering the ball when and where it needs to be.

“I never really thought we were far off from the beginning, but we caught on pretty quick,” said Beasley. “Now, I have an option route and I’m out of my break and it’s there. Whenever you have a quarterback who can do that, there’s a lot of opportunities after the catch. I told him that today.”

Beasley recounted one in particular.

“I came out of one today on my break and the ball got on me so fast I almost didn’t expect it that early,” he said with a smile. “I told him after that, ‘Dude, if you get the ball to me that fast, I’m going to get a lot for you after.’ It’s so much easier on me and it’ll make us so much better as an offense.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

This doesn't come off like he's disappointed he couldn't be more negative at all.

Thad excited to return to buffalo as he forgot his "right josh" pillow and has had a fitful couple nights of sleeplessness. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Because it takes away from his narrative. 

"Allen didn't do anything special but he still made some mistakes.  He was 11-13 on the day for 120 yds and 2TD's."

Pretty sure everyone would think he was drunk or just a flat out Allen hater instead of a closet hater.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My question when does unspectacular mean anything. The offense was moving the ball you can do that as pedestrian as you want, it doesn't change the fact the O is moving the damn ball well. 

Unspectacular 6 is equal to a spectacular 6 when they add them up. Was the O demonstrating it can win the field position battle, was the O showing it can eat up clock ?

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

My question when does unspectacular mean anything. The offense was moving the ball you can do that as pedestrian as you want, it doesn't change the fact the O is moving the damn ball well. 

Unspectacular 6 is equal to a spectacular 6 when they add them up. Was the O winning field position battle, was the O showing it can eat up clock ?

Thad watching Allen:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 4

Bills_Panthers_Football_19790.jpg

Panthers’ Ron Rivera says joint NFL practices are invaluable

Coach Ron Rivera believes joint practices have become an invaluable part of today's NFL. The Panthers wrapped up two days of practices at Wofford College with the Buffalo Bills that he thinks will go a long way toward helping both teams prepare for the regular season.

Unlike preseason games, players weren't allowed to tackle which Rivera believes can be dually beneficial in getting plays down pat while at the same time not risking major injuries.

"I'm not sure if playing the games is as important as it used to be, but things like this are invaluable," Rivera said Wednesday.

"If you can get two teams that come in focused on working and developing you can help each other out a lot," Rivera said.

A DECADE LONG PLAYER

Buffalo's 21-year-old middle linebacker Tremaine Edmunds has a chance to be an impact player for the next decade, Rivera said.

"We ran one screen against them and it looked like we were going to pick up some pretty good yardage and he ran it down to keep it to about a 4-yard gain," Rivera said.

Edmunds had 80 tackles, two sacks and two interceptions last season as a rookie.

REFINING THE OFFENSE

New Bills receiver Cole Beasley said he's starting to get on the same page with second-year quarterback Josh Allen. On one option route, Beasley turned his head and the ball had already arrived perfectly on time.

"The ball got on me so fast I almost didn't expect it," Beasley said. "I told him if you get the ball to me that fast I'm going to get you a lot (of yards) after the catch. It makes it so much easier on me and it will make us so much better as a team."