Top nine defenses for 2019 NFL season, Buffalo Bills #5

HOUSE

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean this isn’t true at all but we have a really good D.  Now, we need some guys who can finish getting to the qb instead of just getting pressures.  If this D gets a real pass rush, it can carry the team. 

"Just getting pressures" forces incompletions and picks.  If you don't believe me, ask McDermott, because he's who said it (among other respected NFL coaches).

58 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

as stated Schein has praised the Bills often this season 

The Bills were #2 overall in 2018 and only lost 1 KEY player in Kyle  

so I am wondering why the drop from 2 to 5 

#2 Overall in yards allowed.  We weren’t even close to being the 2nd best defense in the league. 

Edited by NewEra

29 minutes ago, eball said:

"Just getting pressures" forces incompletions and picks.  If you don't believe me, ask McDermott, because he's who said it (among other respected NFL coaches).

Sacks also create forced fumbles and long yardage situations which make first downs harder to convert and can force qbs into making bad throws that turn into turnovers.  

Don’t get wrong pressures are good but there’s a reason why sacks are the dominant category to use for pass rushers.  Are people talking about how many pressures Bruce Smith had?  You get paid big bucks for finishing. 

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sacks also create forced fumbles and long yardage situations which make first downs harder to convert and can force qbs into making bad throws that turn into turnovers.  

Don’t get wrong pressures are good but there’s a reason why sacks are the dominant category to use for pass rushers.  Are people talking about how many pressures Bruce Smith had?  You get paid big bucks for finishing. 

As ANY defensive coach will tell you, sacks are the "flashy" stats fans and the media love, but they'd much rather know they are getting consistent pressure on the QB, forcing him to move "off his spot" and hurry his throws.  It's pretty basic.  OBVIOUSLY you'd like to have both.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

As ANY defensive coach will tell you, sacks are the "flashy" stats fans and the media love, but they'd much rather know they are getting consistent pressure on the QB, forcing him to move "off his spot" and hurry his throws.  It's pretty basic.  OBVIOUSLY you'd like to have both.

Yes, the goal is to make the qb uncomfortable.  But coaches preach to finish.  There’s a reason Mack get paid what he does and Hughes gets what he does. If Hughes was consistently putting up double digits sack seasons, he would be making a ton more money.

but the bigger point is I believe we are one great pass rusher from having an elite defense.  It’s why I’d put this group behind the 2015 team.  That d line would just win us games and make guys like Preston Brown look good.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

#2 Overall in yards allowed.  We weren’t even close to being the 2nd best defense in the league. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Who am I to argue with those two sources 

based on what I posted 

Total yards # 2 

48 minutes ago, eball said:

I can't really disagree with any of this. But here's the thing about sacks: there are actually very few other times in a modern NFL game where the QB gets hit. On most QB running plays, he will either slide or run out of bounds. And if a defender so much as breathes on a QB after he has thrown the ball, a flag comes out. So there is a very large psychological component to rattling the opposing team's QB by vicious sacks. This, of course, is in addition to the loss of downs, yardage lost, and potential fumble from a sack that can all be pretty devastating to an otherwise promising drive. So I still don't think sacks are an overrated defensive metric. Take the legendary 1985 Chicago Bears, for example. They were dominant in practically every statistical category available, but everyone from the 1980's remembers them for their QB sack numbers. The only ones who didn't were the opposing QB's who were concussed or had PTSD-related memory loss from having to face them.

Here are the 8 categories I use to measure the quality of an NFL defense, followed by the 2018 league ranking for the Bills:

Yards-per-game: 2

Opposing passer rating: 3

Interceptions: 7

3rd down percentage: 8

Rushing yards allowed-per-carry: 9

Points-per-game: 18

Sacks: 26

Red zone TD percentage: 30

I believe these Bills are knocking on the door of elite status, but the pass rush and the red zone defensive packages need to get a lot better in order to be considered a serious challenger for the title of #1 defense. By the way, I believe we are a single Clowney trade (and relative health) away from reaching this goal. So if Clowney is actually available for anything less than a 1st round draft pick, then Beane needs to strongly consider this offer.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Watch games.  One stat doesn’t tell the whole story.  Don’t be stupid.  You know that we didn’t have the 2nd best defense in the league

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Watch games.  One stat doesn’t tell the whole story.  Don’t be stupid.  You know that we didn’t have the 2nd best defense in the league

calling me stupid.     take a chill pill  

NFL Team Receiving Defense Statistics - 2018

# 1 Buffalo Bills   

Fix the Run and they can be the best D in the NFL 

(funny when I say stats lie idiots call me stupid too) 

My apologies ...  I'm not in the best of moods 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Maybe so, but he also needs to run it.  Leslie Frazier does not excel in running the defense.  

I have no problem with the way Frazier runs the defense. Both Frazier and the HC are in sync. If they weren't Frazier would not continue to coach the defense. As the roster gets better the defense will get better, especially with young players such as Edmunds and Milano emerging as very good players. McDermott's expertise is on defense. Happily, it shows. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have no problem with the way Frazier runs the defense. Both Frazier and the HC are in sync. If they weren't Frazier would not continue to coach the defense. As the roster gets better the defense will get better, especially with young players such as Edmunds and Milano emerging as very good players. McDermott's expertise is on defense. Happily, it shows. 

I really do hope you are correct.  Maybe they didn't have the guys up front last year to get to the QB, stop the run, and be more stout in the red zone.  My concern stemmed from the fact that they didn't get consistent pressure on the QB (especially Flacco, Luck, and Rivers) and got trounced in the run game, though maybe a rookie Tremain Edmunds had something to do with that, and were toward the bottom of the league in the red zone.  When McD took over the play calling in the Charger game, Rivers cooled down.  McD did make a statement that QB pressure are important, so maybe Frazier prioritizes this; I hope so.  My impression of Frazier is that today's offenses, especially the better ones such as NE, are beyond what he has the ability to stop.  Maybe I'm wrong, but we shall see.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

# 1 Buffalo Bills   

No.  Saying that you said something stupid and calling you stupid are two completely different things.

Do you honestly think we had the 2nd best defense in the league last season?  

No apology needed.  I apologize if I came off as calling you stupid 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

# 1 Buffalo Bills   

Ever consider that teams ran the ball on Buffalo because they didn't need to throw it?  The home LA Chargers game last year by halftime it was 28-6 and LAC were simply running out the clock.

Same thing happened in 2010 during the ill-fated first year trying to run a 30 front under Nix and Gailey.  Buffalo was dead last in rushing yards allowed, but miraculously 3rd in pass defense yards allowed. 

Funny how that works. 

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No.  Saying that you said something stupid and calling you stupid are two completely different things.

Do you honestly think we had the 2nd best defense in the league last season?  

No apology needed.  I apologize if I came off as calling you stupid 

Truthful  no

Truthful part 2.  Stats lie.     As I said people don't like to hear that and I catch less grief for it.  

Do I want to believe it?    Yup.

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Truthful  no

Truthful part 2.  Stats lie.     As I said people don't like to hear that and I catch less grief for it.  

Do I want to believe it?    Yup.

I’m not sure we had a top 5 defense last year.  Tremendous at times. Not consistent enough to be the 2nd best

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This year's defense may give up more yards than last year's from a statistical perspective, but I think it will perform better than last year's.  One big reason should be the improved offense and not having to be on the field all the time.

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

We have no idea if the offense will be improved or not.  

What will count is Allen's ability to consistently move the chains and sustain drives.  We have no idea if he can do that on a consistent basis.

If he can't, the D is going to be gassed toward the end of most games.

How that dynamic plays out is one of the big picture things to keep an eye on when the real season gets here.