facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
  • 0ap1000000053195.jpg
  • By Adam Schein
  • NFL.com Columnist
Related image

5) Buffalo Bills

Now, let me start by saying the Bills are my Cinderella team this year. I went on the record with them as my pick in early April. The defense is going to help take this club to new heights.

A big part of my confidence in this group is tied to Sean McDermott. I know on paper his 15-17 record in two years at the helm isn't going to wow anyone, but he's one of those coaches who leads teams with a sum greater than its parts. Just look back at 2017, when he led an overachieving Bills team to the playoffs, snapping a 17-year postseason drought. He's a fantastic defensive mind and motivator.

And don't misinterpret what I'm saying here -- I love the talent at every level of this D, from Tre'Davious White in the secondary to Tremaine Edmunds at linebacker to Ed Oliver, a steal in this year's draft at No. 9 overall, up front. Don't forget about Jerry Hughes, who pressured the QB on 16.2 percent of his pass rushes in 2018, which was the highest rate in the NFL (minimum 350 pass rushes).

Buffalo ranked second in total defense and first in passing defense last season, but ended up 18th in points allowed. Expect that last number to shrink in 2019.

MSN.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041124/article/top-nine-defenses-for-2019-nfl-season-chargers-lead-the-pack

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 4

There’s been so much talk about the wide receiver group and the offense in general but I’m most interested to see if Edmunds has progressed since last year. I was one of his harshest critics. I’m praying he’s grown up a bit, put on some muscle, and is ready to attack the holes.

In McDermott's first year at the helm he revamped the defensive backfield with a mid to lower first round draft pick to select White at CB, and picked up two mid-level free agent safeties in Hyde and Poyer. He was masterful in finding players to fit his scheme without breaking the bank. He also was able to use mid-level draft picks to add to the unit with the additions of Tauron Johnson and Sirean Neal. All these players not only played well as a unit but they were all good value picks. In addition, although Mat Milano is a LB he roams a lot in the defensive backfield playing as a hybrid LB/SB. In my estimation he is the best value player on the roster. 

Without question McDermott excels in building a defense. 

Just now, JohnC said:

In McDermott's first year at the helm he revamped the defensive backfield with a mid to lower first round draft pick to select White at CB, and picked up two mid-level free agent safeties in Hyde and Poyer. He was masterful in finding players to fit his scheme without breaking the bank. He also was able to use mid-level draft picks to add to the unit with the additions of Tauron Johnson and Sirean Neal. All these players not only played well as a unit but they were all good value picks. In addition, although Mat Milano is a LB he roams a lot in the defensive backfield playing as a hybrid LB/SB. In my estimation he is the best value player on the roster. 

I think more credit should be going to Beane, not McD.  He finds the players, as well as his staff.  McD deserves some credit as well, but for coaching, not find them

Overall the defense will likely be top 5 or better. No surprise there. They need to get more pressure on the QB though. If Oliver makes the impact they are hoping for, and someone can compliment Hughes on the other side, then we could be special. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think more credit should be going to Beane, not McD.  He finds the players, as well as his staff.  McD deserves some credit as well, but for coaching, not find them

I don't believe that Beane was involved with the first draft when the Bills drafted White and Milano. Regardless, both McDermott and Beane seamlessly work as a tandem. That is a credit to both of them where the task at hand and not one's ego is the focus for both of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

This year's defense may give up more yards than last year's from a statistical perspective, but I think it will perform better than last year's.  One big reason should be the improved offense and not having to be on the field all the time.

The Bills D needs to improve in the Red Zone.  Improvement there will lead to fewer points allowed 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Maybe so, but he also needs to run it.  Leslie Frazier does not excel in running the defense.  

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

as stated Schein has praised the Bills often this season 

The Bills were #2 overall in 2018 and only lost 1 KEY player in Kyle  

so I am wondering why the drop from 2 to 5 

I would assume he's taking more than just yardage rankings into his equation 

I would hope so anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

The top 10 defenses in yards allowed managed to win all of 2 playoff games last year (4 made the post-season).  The top 10 defenses in points allowed won 6 playoff games (7 made the post-season).  Half of those were from NE. 

A stellar defense combined with a pedestrian offense does not move a team deep into the playoffs.  While people get excited about defense, it's not as important as being able to consistently put up points. 

The question is, does building a balanced team that emphasizes defense work in an offensive driven league.  And how much does investing in defense impact the ability to feature a high scoring offense.  Defense is over-rated and yet, Buffalo seems to think it's as important if not more to success.  Because that's how McBeane are building this roster.

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Bills will easily be #1. No other team is even close to the all around talent.

I mean this isn’t true at all but we have a really good D.  Now, we need some guys who can finish getting to the qb instead of just getting pressures.  If this D gets a real pass rush, it can carry the team.